All Facts IMO (SIAP)

I agree, but I don't think the roster has many flaws. The only thing it's really lacking is experience. I think there's around 70% of the roster are sophomores or younger.

This squad should be able to match up with any team in the conference. We were in every game last year despite turning the ball over multiple times in several games.

I'm expecting both sides of the ball to take another step to the next leval. It may take several games with our youth. Hopefully, they can improve while winning.
Fair enough

I see a lot of areas that need a lot of improvement

But we took a big step with the most important one

I guess I need to clarify myself. I literally have no clue what this team will do or is capable of because my biggest questions about them are at the top (Mario)

I’m just saying he did what he was supposed to do and got a QB capable of big things. What that ultimately ends up looking like…I dunno. Analyzing this team, especially in February, feels like a waste of energy to me but we will see

Advertisement
Got the QB and a good O Line.. we should be a playoff team.
Gotta be honest, I'll still be surprised if we get into October without hearing, "We can still win the ACC."

We have talent. We've HAD talent. Maybe not playoff level, but easily enough to do far better in the ACC. Coaching is our weakness, and everyone knows it. Yes, you need talent to win. You also need a coaching staff that puts the players into position to makes the plays that lead to wins. We don't have that. I have seen NO proof Mario can do more than recruit.

Here's hoping something magical happens and Mario unleashes a monster on the ACC. Here's hoping the ACC officiating calls games for us like they did for FSU. Then, anything is possible.

Posters you would expect to be optimistic are optimistic. Posters you would expect to be pessimistic are pessimistic. Shocker.

Here's where I will agree with the cynics, pessimists and mopes. Mario has failed if we're 8-5 or worse. Anything less than 9 wins is unacceptable. given how much other people's money went into making the program great again.

Advertisement
My hype has always been for the 25 season but doesn’t mean we can’t arrive next season

Yup. Should take a step forward in 2024 and be a real contender by 2025.

Cannot stand how the past two decades all get lumped together; as if Miami wasn't a broke program under Donna Shalala for 16 seasons, with her low-rent hires and hatred for the football program.

UM literally just started allocating funds towards football two years ago; billionaire boosters deciding enough was enough and the university throwing some of that U Health COVID money (and $400,000,000 profit) towards athletics.

All the top program have money to throw around. Georgia dumped $200,000,000 into their program around the time Smart was hired—they didn't just arbitrarily become a better program.

Let's wait and see what the University of Miami's football program looks like 4-5 years into the Cristobal era, having thrown big loot at building a winner and stockpiling talent.

Can anyone make an argument that UM isn't more talented than everyone on their schedule in 2024?

I'm not asking about winning games. I'm talking about strictly "on paper" talent. As far as I can see, Miami has a more talented roster than every single one of their 2024 opponents. Maybe...maaaaaybe you can make a point for FSU if you want to assume their transfers all pay off. Otherwise if Miami doesn't go 12-1 next year, the idea that just recruiting at an elite level can overcome all coaching failures is proven completely false.

I know it’s not a perfect science but can we agree that the prospects we are getting now are different from the previous regimes? I’m specifically talking Miami, I haven’t seen this caliber of talent as a whole since Butch. Not saying it’s Butch levels but it’s different regardless of rankings in terms of tape, MR AG RS LC and MD we’re not getting kids like this especially up front. Yea sometimes team out perform their ranking make a bowl here and there. But for sustained elite success imo is maximum talent overload (pause). If that makes any sense, we can agree the Pancakes FM Bains Lightfoots Scott’s would never come to UM under those other staffs.
Just look at the FSU classes he has bolded around the time of their championship. It's all you need to know.

Advertisement
like every other year...this season's record prediction thread should be pure gold.

Why? This was legit a 10-3 team in 2023 if Tyler Van Yips didn't play like pure trash.

Fans whining about "cOaCHiNG!!" as if that cat didn't throw 11 touchdowns and one interception the first four games of the year, only to forget how to read a zone defense, where he had 11 interceptions, two fumbles and five touchdowns his next five games.

Everyone whining about Mario and his dumb decision to not kneel out—what about Van Bust throwing three brutally bad picks? Miami should've been up 41-17 never even needed to kneel out. Two picks and a fumble at North Carolina the following week. Bailed out of two bad picks against Virginia when Kinchens got that pick-six and the defense finally broke at North Carolina State after the threw three away and the offense couldn't get in the end zone.

Godforbid Miami has a quarterback that actually moves the football, manufactures points and helps win the clock control battle by staying on the field.

Cannot stand how the past two decades all get lumped together; as if Miami wasn't a broke program under Donna Shalala for 16 seasons, with her low-rent hires and hatred for the football program.

UM literally just started allocating funds towards football two years ago; billionaire boosters deciding enough was enough and the university throwing some of that U Health COVID money (and $400,000,000 profit) towards athletics.

All the top program have money to throw around. Georgia dumped $200,000,000 into their program around the time Smart was hired—they didn't just arbitrarily become a better program.

Let's wait and see what the University of Miami's football program looks like 4-5 years into the Cristobal era, having thrown big loot at building a winner and stockpiling talent.
Yup that’s why I am patient I seen this movie before

Can anyone make an argument that UM isn't more talented than everyone on their schedule in 2024?

I'm not asking about winning games. I'm talking about strictly "on paper" talent. As far as I can see, Miami has a more talented roster than every single one of their 2024 opponents. Maybe...maaaaaybe you can make a point for FSU if you want to assume their transfers all pay off. Otherwise if Miami doesn't go 12-1 next year, the idea that just recruiting at an elite level can overcome all coaching failures is proven completely false.

The "more talented" argument only works when you have talent at the right positions.

Jordan Travis saved Florida State the past two years.

Michael Penix was the reason Washington made the playoffs.

J.J. McCarthy was the heart and should of Michigan.

Alabama struggled early with Jalen Monroe, benched him for South Florida—the kid rebounded and played well the rest of the season.

Quinn Ewers has been great for Texas for two seasons, helping Sark turn it around—and same for Jedd Fisch at Arizona; 1-11 his first season before Jayden de Laura got rolling and then was replaced by the better Noah Fifita.

Conversely, Kyle McCord was average for Ohio State and it cost them a playoffs shot—so he transfers to lowly Syracuse while the Buckeyes try to get Will Howard to save the day... and Miami just saw Tyler Van Bust leaving for Wisconsin, where he hopes Phil Longo can rehab and save him with an air-raid offensive game plan.

Look at Miami and the quarterback position since Brock Berlin's 20-5 run over two years—which was a "down" couple of seasons for the Canes, coming off of 2000-2002.

Kyle Wright. Kirby Freeman. Jacory Harris. Robert Marve. Stephen Morris. Brad Kaaya. Malik Rosier. N'Kosi Perry. Jarren Williams. Tate Martell.

Outside a few flashes from Morris and Kaaya that is a list of absolutely average quarterbacks.

Take that talented 2017 team. Made some noise because of defense and playmakers, but ultimately held back by an average quarterback—Rosier exposed against Pitt, Clemson and Wisconsin.

Conversely, King's wheels helped a decent Miami team overachieve in 2020, en route to 8-3—which would've been 4-7 without him; absolutely exposed by Clemson and North Carolina that season.

Miami will go as far as Cam Ward can take them this season and the Canes' future hinges on what Poffenbarger, Williams, Brown, Anderson and Nickle do in 2025 and beyond; the Canes ALWAYS as good as their quarterback play—hence the Quarterback U moniker in the '80s and early '90s and four titles over a nine-year span with four different gunslingers.

Advertisement
Miami will go as far as Cam Ward can take them this season
The only part that is relevant to this current season.

If Cam Ward is healthy and plays well, there's no excuse for this team to lose more than 1 regular season game maximum.

If he plays poorly, it solidifies the rep Mario has developed as a QB killer.

We're going to find out a lot about the future of this program next year.

Will we be able to make the jump back into national relevance or will we just be waiting out the rest of Mario's contract? We'll find out. The time is now. No more excuses.

No, I can’t b/c we’re 6-10 in the ACC. Until I see something different, I can’t just say “look at this talent we’re bringing in.”
Yeah this is a tough one to crack this early in the process because even bum *** coaches we’ve had in the past have had moments where it looked like we were turning the corner

So for me it’s tough because class rankings and win/loss records can be so ******* deceiving

All I know is I think we have more help around Mario than we ever have so the odds are more in our favor. But…he’s still not a coach I trust on the field

So I have no **** clue what to think at this point other than I think we have the best shot at building a winner right now than we have since before Coker (given all the pieces of the puzzle being put together)

My response to everything at this point would be “show me” but that’s too boring 😂

With who at QB? Ward is the chance to win now. Period.

Advertisement

That's the sad **** is literally everyone else can see what we're doing and comments on it but a good portion of this fanbase is blind to what's going on. ***** wild. You wanna talk about places that make a simple year in and year out fix through the portal where you're reliant on the portal or do you build it the right way like I've said for years and you use the portal to supplement your roster.

With who at QB? Ward is the chance to win now. Period.
I don't think most realize how good ward really is. I'll scream it from the top of the mountains. Cam this past season we win the acc and compete for something relevant. If our defense can give a similar output to last season we are going to be in the playoffs this season especially since it's a top 12.

Until proven otherwise, game day management will hold the team back forever

I feel you but game management is at the very bottom of the list of things holding Mario back.

His biggest flaw is his lack of innovation and creating a thoughtful gameplan that maximizes his teams talents and hides their weaknesses.

His game management issues are overly criticized BECAUSE of his gameplan issues and inability to play a good game of chess against opposing coaches.

Football is mostly chess between two coaches. Talent helps tremendously. Yet, talent only goes as far as the coaches understanding and scheme employed to showcase said talent.

It doesnt matter how much talent you acquire if you force the talent into a plan that exposes the flaws in their game. That has been Miami’s single biggest issue.

We shall see; am I expecting massive improvements? Yes. Am I expecting 10+ wins w/ this schedule? Yes
Am I expecting an ACCCG? Not necessarily b/c of how the league is set up now, but I do expect us to be in contention to play in it.

Those r the things I’m expecting in yr 3; now, will it happen? That’s the $8m ?. I don’t live in the realm of hope, I live in the realm of show me.

My whole point was we’ve been had talent compared to the rest of the vast majority of the ACC since joining. We’ve been either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the rankings every yr except 2011. The teams that come in 4th - 14th in those rankings have all had a precipitous drop off compared to the top 3 recruiting teams.

Clemson has a .757 win % in ACC play since 2004
FSU has a .633 win % in ACC play since 2004
Miami has a .578 win % in ACC play since 2004

These are the three top teams (by recruiting rankings) in the ACC

Clemson & FSU have fulfilled that status quo for the most part, we haven’t. So I need to see it, not just a recruiting class.
The rankings by recruiting contradict t
Gotta be honest, I'll still be surprised if we get into October without hearing, "We can still win the ACC."

We have talent. We've HAD talent. Maybe not playoff level, but easily enough to do far better in the ACC. Coaching is our weakness, and everyone knows it. Yes, you need talent to win. You also need a coaching staff that puts the players into position to makes the plays that lead to wins. We don't have that. I have seen NO proof Mario can do more than recruit.

Here's hoping something magical happens and Mario unleashes a monster on the ACC. Here's hoping the ACC officiating calls games for us like they did for FSU. Then, anything is possible.
where is homeboy that has been doing roster talent comparisons from older teams compared to 2024? 2024 was winning hands down in comparison. Additionally, we haven’t recruited well in multiple positions especially OL. But just name the QBs over that time. So two of the best in Berlin and King were transfers. Our teams have been mostly pocketed with elite talent at a few spots but really lacking elite talent across the board. And depth was a serious concern.

Advertisement
Back