All Facts IMO (SIAP)

We’ll see it this season. We’re not elite but we’re good enough across the board with a quality QB to win a lot of games.

It’s not just recruiting. The upper class are talented too. Ward, Restrepo, George, Rivers, Coop, the C transfer, JHH, Mesidor, Kelly, Kiko, Wes, Porter, the S transfer. We’re developing guys at the same time we’re recruiting talent and bringing in known talent from other programs. Firing on all cylinders even if our top speed is still very good not great.

This time last year I was livid about not having a backup QB, not having a WR1, being way too weak at LB, not having a replacement for Jackson at DT, not having a CB1 and having no safety depth. We had massive holes. Now while there are still upgrades we need to make, the roster is already good enough to win in the ACC.

We shall see; am I expecting massive improvements? Yes. Am I expecting 10+ wins w/ this schedule? Yes
Am I expecting an ACCCG? Not necessarily b/c of how the league is set up now, but I do expect us to be in contention to play in it.

Those r the things I’m expecting in yr 3; now, will it happen? That’s the $8m ?. I don’t live in the realm of hope, I live in the realm of show me.

My whole point was we’ve been had talent compared to the rest of the vast majority of the ACC since joining. We’ve been either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the rankings every yr except 2011. The teams that come in 4th - 14th in those rankings have all had a precipitous drop off compared to the top 3 recruiting teams.

Clemson has a .757 win % in ACC play since 2004
FSU has a .633 win % in ACC play since 2004
Miami has a .578 win % in ACC play since 2004

These are the three top teams (by recruiting rankings) in the ACC

Clemson & FSU have fulfilled that status quo for the most part, we haven’t. So I need to see it, not just a recruiting class.

Advertisement
With Cam Ward all things are possible

Even for Mario
We've had 20+ years of Miami football history to be pessimistic.

It's funny that when we were all optimistic over the years, the outsiders were pessimistic on UM. Now, the opposite holds true.

I don't think Mario is simply looking for a little improvement over last year. I believe he's trying to win the ACC this year. Nobody wants to put that expectation on him (including me), but I believe that is one of his goals this year. He's assembled enough talent to do it. It's a matter of whether all the individual talent translates into team talent and team success.

We shall see; am I expecting massive improvements? Yes. Am I expecting 10+ wins w/ this schedule? Yes
Am I expecting an ACCCG? Not necessarily b/c of how the league is set up now, but I do expect us to be in contention to play in it.

Those r the things I’m expecting in yr 3; now, will it happen? That’s the $8m ?. I don’t live in the realm of hope, I live in the realm of show me.

My whole point was we’ve been had talent compared to the rest of the vast majority of the ACC since joining. We’ve been either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in the rankings every yr except 2011. The teams that come in 4th - 14th in those rankings have all had a precipitous drop off compared to the top 3 recruiting teams.

Clemson has a .757 win % in ACC play since 2004
FSU has a .633 win % in ACC play since 2004
Miami has a .578 win % in ACC play since 2004

These are the three top teams (by recruiting rankings) in the ACC

Clemson & FSU have fulfilled that status quo for the most part, we haven’t. So I need to see it, not just a recruiting class.
I agree with you. My floor is 10 wins. The difference this year is we have the better talent where it matters most and that's in the trenches and at QB. we are better than our ACC brethren in those areas. It needs to translate into wins.

Any ACC team that plays Miami from December to July should be terrified.
125WvQGXcUfEBy.gif

Advertisement
We've had 20+ years of Miami football history to be pessimistic.

It's funny that when we were all optimistic over the years, the outsiders were pessimistic on UM. Now, the opposite holds true.

I don't think Mario is simply looking for a little improvement over last year. I believe he's trying to win the ACC this year. Nobody wants to put that expectation on him (including me), but I believe that is one of his goals this year. He's assembled enough talent to do it. It's a matter of whether all the individual talent translates into team talent and team success.
I’m not too big on trashing our own players especially to make other ones look good, but ask yourself when the last time we had a QB with Cams talent

A QB can take a flawed college football team a long way

Advertisement
I’m not too big on trashing our own players especially to make other ones look good, but ask yourself when the last time we had a QB with Cams talent

Depends when you're asking.

TVD when he ran off however many 300 plus yard games in a row.

King, similar hype and stats were even better at his previous stop.

BK, at one point.

So until they show it HERE, I'm not holding my breath. We run the same **** as last year, it'll be talent wasted once again.

No, I can’t b/c we’re 6-10 in the ACC. Until I see something different, I can’t just say “look at this talent we’re bringing in.”
I have to agree.

Recruiting momentum is a huge piece of success, and sustainability. However, until the pitch you are throwing at these recruits manifests into wins on the field and conference titles (at a minimum), this time of year is all just smoke and mirrors.

Depends when you're asking.

TVD when he ran off however many 300 plus yard games in a row.

King, similar hype and stats were even better at his previous stop.

BK, at one point.

So until they show it HERE, I'm not holding my breath. We run the same **** as last year, it'll be talent wasted once again.
The last part is where everyone is at, well most everyone I think

I think Ward is above those guys. If Mario fails to help Ward improve his draft stock we won’t have to worry about landing elite QBs, especially in the portal anymore

Advertisement
Advertisement

I agree, but I don't think the roster has many flaws. The only thing it's really lacking is experience. I think there's around 70% of the roster are sophomores or younger.

This squad should be able to match up with any team in the conference. We were in every game last year despite turning the ball over multiple times in several games.

I'm expecting both sides of the ball to take another step to the next leval. It may take several games with our youth. Hopefully, they can improve while winning.

Could be right. I don’t care much for predictions at this point, but if Mario can’t improve significantly with this team and schedule, then he never will here
Here's my issue: our fans aren't looking at matchups enough. They see recruiting rankings. They see overall roster talent. Congratulations. Neither wins matchups.

Our biggest advantages are that we have a very good OL and QB vs. defenses. That's big. They also NEED to stay healthy. We also have a very good kicker. That's good for consistent points on the board.

X and JG are good receivers, but someone else really needs to emerge. Good DCs with talented DBs will cause serious issues for us otherwise.

Our fans love calling our RB room stacked, which is a complete ******* joke, unless by "stacked" you mean injury-prone jags. Our RBs scare no quality DC with quality talent. We're going to have to throw the ball- well- to win games.

DL should be an advantage against MOST, but certainly not all teams. A quality OL will be kryptonite for this defense, because...

Our LBs will be good playing downhill, but they suck in coverage. DL needs to get pressure and maintain containment in order to help them in the passing game; and,

Our DB group is not deep at all. We have two above average CBs: Damari and Porter Jr. There's nothing behind them. Safety has the talented- but unproven Zaquan Patterson. He NEEDS to be P5 starter-level quality from day 1. There's nothing behind him. The older guys are OK, nothing more.

Our best DBs MUST stay healthy. Guidry is a creative, quality DC, and that will help. But if an opposing QB has too much time, we will get cooked on the back end.

The bottom line is that we don't have many distinct matchup advantages. The margin for error to win 10 games is ZERO. The margin for 9 is thin.

That's why I predict 8.

Here's my issue: our fans aren't looking at matchups enough. They see recruiting rankings. They see overall roster talent. Congratulations. Neither wins matchups.

Our biggest advantages are that we have a very good OL and QB vs. defenses. That's big. They also NEED to stay healthy. We also have a very good kicker. That's good for consistent points on the board.

X and JG are good receivers, but someone else really needs to emerge. Good DCs with talented DBs will cause serious issues for us otherwise.

Our fans love calling our RB room stacked, which is a complete ******* joke, unless by "stacked" you mean injury-prone jags. Our RBs scare no quality DC with quality talent. We're going to have to throw the ball- well- to win games.

DL should be an advantage against MOST, but certainly not all teams. A quality OL will be kryptonite for this defense, because...

Our LBs will be good playing downhill, but they suck in coverage. DL needs to get pressure and maintain containment in order to help them in the passing game; and,

Our DB group is not deep at all. We have two above average CBs: Damari and Porter Jr. There's nothing behind them. Safety has the talented- but unproven Zaquan Patterson. He NEEDS to be P5 starter-level quality from day 1. There's nothing behind him. The older guys are OK, nothing more.

Our best DBs MUST stay healthy. Guidry is a creative, quality DC, and that will help. But if an opposing QB has too much time, we will get cooked on the back end.

The bottom line is that we don't have many distinct matchup advantages. The margin for error to win 10 games is ZERO. The margin for 9 is thin.

That's why I predict 8.
No offense but I’m not gonna read all that

Advertisement
Back