Alex Collins confirmed at Senior day

Well with the praise Lu is throwing at this kid can I change my answer and say he is clearly our top target.

Advertisement
Top target or not, there are no guarantees Thomas will produce on this level.

Guys like Willie Williams come to mind.

So, while I'd love to have Thomas on our squad, I wouldn't bat an eyelash if he ended up elsewhere.

Just curious: What are his current measurables?

I will be very happy to get Collins. His highlight video is dazzling, and he seems very sensible and coachable.

Thomas is, IMO, the best prospect in Florida over the last 2 years. He's arguably #2 or #3 over the last 5 years.

There's no doubt he's important. But, whatever happens, happens.
Best college prospect or pro prospect?

He's not a better college prospect than Duke, IMO.

I think he's a better college prospect than Duke. I think Thomas is a potentially really special. I picture him the way I remember Lavaar Arrington in college. In the right system, I think he's more valuable than Duke. And, you know I've compared Duke to LT.

I'll reassess at the end of his senior year, but that's where I stand today.

Interesting. I come out the other way, and not close. I get Thomas's potential, but LBs have to grow into their position, physically and mentally. Duke is special right now. I believe he has top 3 Heisman ability (down the road, not saying this year). I get the Thomas _could_ be all that, but IMO Duke's both a safer bet and more impactful in college because of his position and play-making ability. Marshall Faulk level ability, i believe. I would take Duke over Thomas for a college team, if forced to pick, without hesitation.

Top target or not, there are no guarantees Thomas will produce on this level.

Guys like Willie Williams come to mind.

So, while I'd love to have Thomas on our squad, I wouldn't bat an eyelash if he ended up elsewhere.

Just curious: What are his current measurables?

The Willie Williams types fail not because of their talent level, but because of what's between the ears. Golden doesn't recruit those kids...note the vague "core values" line he always throws out.

A player with talent as obvious as Thomas (one of my favorite lines on this board was when someone said "my grandma could point him out on the field") who's that productive in top Dade football and at national camps/combines isn't gonna bust completely barring injuries or something drastic.

His measurables are 6'3 205 approximately. If Thomas ends up elsewhere I think you'll bat more than a few eyelashes once he hits the field.

Advertisement
Thomas is as must-get as Duke and Tracy Howard. Elite LB/pass rusher in your backyard at a pipeline school? No excuses or rationalizations if he's not a Cane.

But, of course, it is his decision to make, not ours. There is only so much we can do. Sometimes, I think we tend to mentally negate the autonomy and integrity of the kid, thinking that our effort and skill at recruiting will always be the determining factors. Ultimately, the kids go where they want to go, and our attracting and cajoling only count for so much.

Thomas is, IMO, the best prospect in Florida over the last 2 years. He's arguably #2 or #3 over the last 5 years.

I think he's a better college prospect than Duke. I think Thomas is a potentially really special. I picture him the way I remember Lavaar Arrington in college. In the right system, I think he's more valuable than Duke. And, you know I've compared Duke to LT.

Interesting. I come out the other way, and not close. I get Thomas's potential, but LBs have to grow into their position, physically and mentally. Duke is special right now. I believe he has top 3 Heisman ability (down the road, not saying this year). I get the Thomas _could_ be all that, but IMO Duke's both a safer bet and more impactful in college because of his position and play-making ability. Marshall Faulk level ability, i believe. I would take Duke over Thomas for a college team, if forced to pick, without hesitation.

+1000.

Lets assume Thomas ends up to be as good as Lavar Arrington. While Duke ends up to have the same impact as Percy Harvin. Which would you rather have on your team?

Agree. LB are only as good(maybe slightly better) than what a good DL could be. I kind of see Thomas as possibly another Marvin Jones. Could he be great. Yes. But is he more important than say a Warrick Dunn(who Duke compares to quite a bit)? IMO...no.

Advertisement
Agree. LB are only as good(maybe slightly better) than what a good DL could be. I kind of see Thomas as possibly another Marvin Jones. Could he be great. Yes. But is he more important than say a Warrick Dunn(who Duke compares to quite a bit)? IMO...no.

Duke is bigger than Dunn, and he's a better inside runner.

Wisconsin worries me! He's gonna see that Monte Ball is a king up there, ran for near 2000yds last year, will be a 2 time heisman finalist and he's leaving after this year. I just hope it's cold as fack when he goes and only sees fat white girls everywhere(and that's not his thing)!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Collins played last season at around 180 lbs. He is now 205.

He is going to wreck shop this year.

Wisconsin worries me! He's gonna see that Monte Ball is a king up there, ran for near 2000yds last year, will be a 2 time heisman finalist and he's leaving after this year. I just hope it's cold as fack when he goes and only sees fat white girls everywhere(and that's not his thing)!

He'll see it in the black eyes and fat lip that he got from getting jumped by a few students.

Advertisement
Back