Al Golden, Randy Edsall. Marc Trestman...

keep in mind, the admin knew of the NCAA thing, a big name coach would have played he they were lied too. Golden wasnt going back to the ghettos of philly.

Advertisement
Needs to be a panel of "football guys" that helps with the next coach. ****, I would just ask Jimmy Johnson for a name and hire that guy

Keep in mind (if you have one), that that was the list that Fairy German and his ilk put out. He and the other dopes who get fed 3rd hand info have no idea what coaches reached out to UM and said, "I'll take the job, but I can't interview because I already have a pretty good job that I'll lose if I get caught pimping for another job." That happens all the time.

Are you implying that our athletic department might have been competent enough to put together a better list than those three?

Advertisement
Keep in mind (if you have one), that that was the list that Fairy German and his ilk put out. He and the other dopes who get fed 3rd hand info have no idea what coaches reached out to UM and said, "I'll take the job, but I can't interview because I already have a pretty good job that I'll lose if I get caught pimping for another job." That happens all the time.

Are you implying that our athletic department might have been competent enough to put together a better list than those three?

No. He's implying that more competent coaches may have reached out to Miami in secret and offered their services.

Those that fail at Miami have massive career setbacks. Tack on the lack of pay, our fanbase and resources/facilities at the time it just isn't as appealing as we want to believe it is. We have never hired a big name coach and there is a reason why. We had success with Erickson/Davis **** even Johnson from OSU wasn't a big name guy. We started 3-3 with those types of hires and have been 0-3 since with Clappy, Blandy and Folden. The landscape has changed too much for us to continue to use this strategy. Easy for us to say and it depends on if the decision makers truly understand if they have to change their approach if the job opens up.

So in your warped view it's not a great job because when you fail horribly at it the NFL or another major D1 program isn't beating your door down to be their new HC? Where do you guys come up with these wacky theories?

Every successful HC at UM got huge NFL contracts. The failures either went back to be an assistant where they belong or a smaller level HC gig. Same as anywhere else. Where did Bama's failed HCs wind up? Dubose? Shula?

Advertisement

Nobody wants to be the next Jeff Jagodzinski.
Bingo. How about our own hero Folden? How did him begging for the Ped State job and going there to interview endear him to UM fans?

Needs to be a panel of "football guys" that helps with the next coach. ****, I would just ask Jimmy Johnson for a name and hire that guy
Jimmy Johnson told UM to throw the world at Wannstache because he thought Wannstache was the best football coach he's ever known. He also loved Randy Shannon.

These were the 3 finalists when Blandy got fired right?

Please refresh my memory...how in the blue **** were those dead beats the 3 finalists for such a high profile gig with a rich tradition and home to the most fertile recruiting base in the country?

Was no one else available? Did Gruden put a hex on us? Those 3 would be equivalent to a present day finalist group of Frank Solich, Brady Hoke, and Dave Wannstedt.

Point taken but it would actually be more like Matt Campbell (young MAC up and comer), Ruffin Mcneil (blah head coach that has a middling school sustaining solid performance) and, like, Hal Mumme or Mike Leach or Mark Mangino (QB whisperers operating on the fringers of football). And yes, it would be sad if that were the final 3 the next time around.

'Chise is probably right in that we almost certainly reached out to bigger candidates than that and either got told no or that they wouldn't interview, which is admittedly dicey.

No. He's implying that more competent coaches may have reached out to Miami in secret and offered their services.

Thanks for explaining that seemingly simple concept. This board needs an influx of IQ points.

Advertisement
There are plenty of "quality candidates" available.

Our administration has no idea how to find them.

Thanks for explaining that seemingly simple concept. This board needs an influx of IQ points.

I skimmed your original post and didn't see the coaches reaching out part, so lack of careful reading on my part, IQ is debatable.

Common wisdom on here seems to be that Miami is no longer a desirable job because of funding, facilities, etc... so why would they reach out? Conversely I have also been told on here that we can pay up because Coker was one of the highest paid coaches in the country (but that was not in the era of college coaches making $5+ m). The question, for me, is where that leaves us.

We have the best talent base in the country but an administration not focused on football who will likely not pay up for a head coach or assistants (IMO). I, for one, don't think facilities really matter if you have a good staff and win. Are there any proven coaches attracted to that kind of situation, and if so, who?

Oh, and bring back Butch.

Advertisement
These were the 3 finalists when Blandy got fired right?

Please refresh my memory...how in the blue **** were those dead beats the 3 finalists for such a high profile gig with a rich tradition and home to the most fertile recruiting base in the country?

Was no one else available? Did Gruden put a hex on us? Those 3 would be equivalent to a present day finalist group of Frank Solich, Brady Hoke, and Dave Wannstedt.

There's a medical term.

Mental Retardation.

Those that fail at Miami have massive career setbacks. Tack on the lack of pay, our fanbase and resources/facilities at the time it just isn't as appealing as we want to believe it is. We have never hired a big name coach and there is a reason why. We had success with Erickson/Davis **** even Johnson from OSU wasn't a big name guy. We started 3-3 with those types of hires and have been 0-3 since with Clappy, Blandy and Folden. The landscape has changed too much for us to continue to use this strategy. Easy for us to say and it depends on if the decision makers truly understand if they have to change their approach if the job opens up.

So in your warped view it's not a great job because when you fail horribly at it the NFL or another major D1 program isn't beating your door down to be their new HC? Where do you guys come up with these wacky theories?

Every successful HC at UM got huge NFL contracts. The failures either went back to be an assistant where they belong or a smaller level HC gig. Same as anywhere else. Where did Bama's failed HCs wind up? Dubose? Shula?

Successful Miami coaches are set for life so your point to Bama is accurate as is mine as the failures are extinct. The difference of the Miami and Bama job is pay and resources. It's night and day and so are the results. Bama also actually goes for the big name and we never have. There are a lot of differences in the jobs and approaches the schools take. Solely going off of the evidence, not "whacky therories"

It shows what a wretched state the program was in after Coker and Shannon. And that it was considered a terrible job in coaching circles.

We'll have a much better group of candidates next time around.

BS....

The main criteris for hiring a head coach the last two times around was someone to "clean up the image" and keep the inmatres from running the asylum. Coker was a really good football coach but had no control over the players.

Randy and Al were hired to be glorified babysitters and nothing more. Neither had any shot of winning here.

If we decide to hire an innovative football coach, we will win quickly.

Mario has no shot to win here. He is another "recruiter". We do not need a recruiter....the kids want to win and play in an exciting fast paced aggressive offensive and defensive scheme.

It shows what a wretched state the program was in after Coker and Shannon. And that it was considered a terrible job in coaching circles.

We'll have a much better group of candidates next time around.

Advertisement
Back