Al Golden, Randy Edsall. Marc Trestman...

mbuendia

Freshman
These were the 3 finalists when Blandy got fired right?

Please refresh my memory...how in the blue **** were those dead beats the 3 finalists for such a high profile gig with a rich tradition and home to the most fertile recruiting base in the country?

Was no one else available? Did Gruden put a hex on us? Those 3 would be equivalent to a present day finalist group of Frank Solich, Brady Hoke, and Dave Wannstedt.

Advertisement
Folks on this board still like Edsall. Dude is cut from the same cloth as Golden. His team just got crushed by Bowling Green...at home/

Lack of quality candidates I guess, most of the big team coaches hired that year were fired last year. Not really convinced this year is any better based on all the threads with "potential candidates". Say what you want about Miami but it will be the premier CFB job opening this year if Golden is fired, there is really no other big team on the hot seat.

These were the 3 finalists when Blandy got fired right?

Please refresh my memory...how in the blue **** were those dead beats the 3 finalists for such a high profile gig with a rich tradition and home to the most fertile recruiting base in the country?

Was no one else available? Did Gruden put a hex on us? Those 3 would be equivalent to a present day finalist group of Frank Solich, Brady Hoke, and Dave Wannstedt.

Trestman all the way! Quality QB development. Plus, Trestman may have retained the DC.....or at least ran 4-3!

Advertisement
An administration that conducts very lazy and poor HC searches.
They always seem trapped by the moment and very unprepared.

We made the "right" choice out of the three of them. Golden isn't great but he's better than the other two.

That was a weak "high-profile" coaching candidate class.

That's when you have to think outside the box and hire a coordinator like Gus Malzahn, but we weren't going to give a guy like that a chance after hiring two failed coordinators. That's the flawed logic I was talking about in the "don't over-correct" thread. We limited the pool to guys with head coaching experience, but no one good was available.

Advertisement
We made the "right" choice out of the three of them. Golden isn't great but he's better than the other two.

I think the greater point is that it didn't have to be those three.
If you are conducting a search and those three are your finalist...it's time to hit the brakes and expand the field.

We tried to be the smartest person in the room by hiring the upcoming guy...and we were dead ******* wrong, even though PLENTY pf people warned us that it was a mistake. Sad part is that on top of it all, we let this used car salesman/putz con his way int getting an extension due to all the stress the cloud had brought him and his boyfriend Dorito, so the ***** *** admin thought it was too expensive to fire him last year.

Advertisement
Keep in mind (if you have one), that that was the list that Fairy German and his ilk put out. He and the other dopes who get fed 3rd hand info have no idea what coaches reached out to UM and said, "I'll take the job, but I can't interview because I already have a pretty good job that I'll lose if I get caught pimping for another job." That happens all the time.

Keep in mind (if you have one), that that was the list that Fairy German and his ilk put out. He and the other dopes who get fed 3rd hand info have no idea what coaches reached out to UM and said, "I'll take the job, but I can't interview because I already have a pretty good job that I'll lose if I get caught pimping for another job." That happens all the time.

Nobody wants to be the next Jeff Jagodzinski.

Advertisement

I think the greater point is that it didn't have to be those three.
If you are conducting a search and those three are your finalist...it's time to hit the brakes and expand the field.

Bingo. Sad part is that it isn't necessary to expand a search for bargain basement coaching prospects...just blindly throw darts at pictures on a wall.

UM

Those that fail at Miami have massive career setbacks. Tack on the lack of pay, our fanbase and resources/facilities at the time it just isn't as appealing as we want to believe it is. We have never hired a big name coach and there is a reason why. We had success with Erickson/Davis **** even Johnson from OSU wasn't a big name guy. We started 3-3 with those types of hires and have been 0-3 since with Clappy, Blandy and Folden. The landscape has changed too much for us to continue to use this strategy. Easy for us to say and it depends on if the decision makers truly understand if they have to change their approach if the job opens up.

Haha. This is a sure fire way to get negged heavily on this board. Those are the kind of thoughts you keep to yourself.

Advertisement
Back