Al Golden on WQAM

BigCaneAl

Senior
Premium
Anyone listening to Golden on with Rosenberg. He would not come out and say he is not going anywhere. Even when Sid gave him several opportunities. Don't like the vibe I was getting from the interview. Wouldn't discuss his contract outs, and wouldn't state he is not going anywhere.

Advertisement
If Penn State offers there is no way he doesn't take the job. People can say that's a bigger mess, but their mess doesn't come with any NCAA penalty. With an entirely new football staff, administration, and athletic department, it won't be hard to recruit kids either.

Why would he? He's got leverage to redo his contract.

My take is that he's staying. Sounded passionate and firm about his commitment here.

I don't see any upside for Golden to address this issue. As you can see here it is a distraction. But then I didn't hear the interview so I can't characterize his responses.

Advertisement
i was skimming the board to check if anyone had posted this thread because i was about to. it's scary to us as fans to not hear golden flat out say that he wasn't looking to go anywhere after having multiple opportunities to. imo, golden is gone if he gets offered a job over at psu.

for anyone who missed the interview, you can listen to it here online
http://www.wqam.com/index.php?page=347

I hope Penn State does not want anyone that has coached or comes from that coaching tree...So they look for something completely different as far as coaching...

Why would he flat out say no? Him being general like this is what is going to get him that payraise hes been trying to get lately.....

Personally, I do not want anyone who does not want to be here. To add on to that, money talks and BS walks. If the school wants to be serious about football then it will need to adapt and get with the times. Bottom line is it needs to ensure the proper perception (i.e. we are willing to fund a proper football program) is out there within the coaching circles (more so than public perception).

It would be nice to know the ground truth what the school believes it's Football program should be and I am not talking any bull**** propaganda either... If Al walks away and takes the PSU job (assuming he is even offered it), it will be interesting to see what the school does in bringing in a new coach and staff.

I was not originally bothered by anything until Al's agent pulled the stunt he did with the CBS reporter. The timing of that comment is interesting now that PSU is dealing with a **** storm.

Advertisement
****, with this **** storm I would rather take the job now as opposed to following a legend. Now that the legend is burnt toast, it would be easy. Not to mention expectations would be in check which will quite likely allow plenty of tolerance to grow into the position.
If Penn State offers there is no way he doesn't take the job. People can say that's a bigger mess, but their mess doesn't come with any NCAA penalty. With an entirely new football staff, administration, and athletic department, it won't be hard to recruit kids either.

Personally, I do not want anyone who does not want to be here. To add on to that, money talks and BS walks. If the school wants to be serious about football then it will need to adapt and get with the times. Bottom line is it needs to ensure the proper perception (i.e. we are willing to fund a proper football program) is out there within the coaching circles (more so than public perception).

It would be nice to know the ground truth what the school believes it's Football program should be and I am not talking any bull**** propaganda either... If Al walks away and takes the PSU job (assuming he is even offered it), it will be interesting to see what the school does in bringing in a new coach and staff.

I was not originally bothered by anything until Al's agent pulled the stunt he did with the CBS reporter. The timing of that comment is interesting now that PSU is dealing with a **** storm.

but at the same time, it's interesting to see Miami talking about a new contract at the same time as well. correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe there were murmurs about a new contract for al before his agent said anything. did word get out to Miami that there was trouble brewing at psu? maybe that's what pushed Miami to even bring up contract talk in the first place.

Sid is awful, how is that guy on the radio? Seems like Golden isn't a fan either, gets annoyed with him.

i was skimming the board to check if anyone had posted this thread because i was about to. it's scary to us as fans to not hear golden flat out say that he wasn't looking to go anywhere after having multiple opportunities to. imo, golden is gone if he gets offered a job over at psu.

Even if he did come out and flatly deny it, that doesn't mean anything-remember Butch?

Advertisement

Even if he did come out and flatly deny it, that doesn't mean anything-remember Butch?
Exactly!

and sid addressed that. sid brought up saban leaving the fins for bama while talking to golden. but if golden wasn't planning on going anywhere he wouldn't have had a problem flat out saying it. him bluffing to earn some extra $$ on his contract here is a different story, though.

Didn't he say "the thought hasn't crossed my mind one bit" and "I'm not going to talk about it, we are focusing on Miami/FSU rivalry." And then when asked again, he said "my wife and I made that decision a year ago and we decided to come here. I could have stayed up there at Temple. The thoughts aren't even entering our minds right now." He gets asked again and then just sounds annoyed. Besides the fact that he doesn't want to give credibility to the **** question, I am sure he is not in the mood to discuss the goings on at PSU.

Advertisement
Just finished listening to that. Al sounds like hes staying IMO. This is just all talk for his contract negotiation

Just finished listening to that. Al sounds like hes staying IMO. This is just all talk for his contract negotiation

He also sounds annoyed. He wants to talk about FSU. First 2 times he got the question he was semi-ok with it, 3rd time he was annoyed. Additionally, he doesn't want to disparage the PSU job at this point. It's still his alma mater, his old coach, etc

1991 please do not mistake the tone of what I wrote. Al either wants to be here or not. I want him to be here...only if he wants to be. If his heart is somewhere else then he should be there.

My comment about the school has more to do with their commitment to fielding a competitive team. There has been a lot of suttle hints around the commitment to fielding a product to compete with the elite of CFB. I understood the move to the ACC. Simple logistics and travel made that easy to see. It costs a lot of to travel a team all over. Not to mention the academic aspect. I am still baffled at how they hire a firm to conduct a coaching search and we end up with shannon... I see giving him the interview and advertising it in an effort to get his name out there for consideration of other HC positions. But how the **** does he end up getting the job here.

Not sure on what came out first at all. I have been too busy at work. I had heard nothing until the CBS report. I heard about the interest in redoing the contract after the article.

Timing is a little weird either way... I will chalk it up to coincidence.

but at the same time, it's interesting to see Miami talking about a new contract at the same time as well. correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe there were murmurs about a new contract for al before his agent said anything. did word get out to Miami that there was trouble brewing at psu? maybe that's what pushed Miami to even bring up contract talk in the first place.

Last edited:
I listened to the interview. Golden handled that the best he could. Sid is a moron. That said, if he gets offered that job he's gonna go

Advertisement
Back