Akheem Mesidor

Status
Not open for further replies.

relax.gif

Advertisement
TOC: Based on your understanding of the rules, the current roster and incoming (confirmed) enrollees, where do we stand? i.e., how many additional portal transfer can we accept without further attrition?

OK, I am going to post a screenshot below.

---ALL NAMES COME FROM THE CURRENT ROSTER, except for those who have not yet enrolled.
---I am not sure how to count Dave Ragone. I am not sure that he will be given a scholarship under Mario. What is weird is that he is a Division I transfer (Arkansas State). However, I don't think he ever counted as an IC (walk-on at Miami) and I don't think he ever signed an LOI (walk-on scholarship is 1-year renewable, but no obligation on UM's part).
---I am not sure how to count Nelson Foley, as he is an Aussie and I don't know if he signed an LOI or walked on...or even how much eligibility remains. If he was given an IC last year, he was a grayshirt, along with Oluwaseun (transfer) and Cody Brown (late enrollee, but NOT a transfer, he never enrolled elsewhere).
---I put transfers in their "original signing class" for clarity on eligibility.

FOR ICs, we have 29 slots (30 if Nelson Foley was never an IC) and have signatures from 22, leaving 7 ICs available (8 if Foley doesn't count). And, sure, we might grayshirt some guys too and cannibalize some 2023 ICs.

FOR COUNTERS, we are at a hard 88 (not counting Ragone) and as low as 87 (again, I've never gotten a straight answer on Nelson Foley). That means, if we take 7 more transfers, we have to lose 9 or 10 more guys (depending on Foley), unless the NCAA gives everyone another year of "don't worry about the 85 counters rule".

1649788844220.png

FOR COUNTERS, we are at a hard 88 (not counting Ragone) and as low as 87 (again, I've never gotten a straight answer on Nelson Foley). That means, if we take 7 more transfers, we have to lose 9 or 10 more guys.

Appreciate the solid effort and trust that you're close to being on target. That said, if we bring in another 7 transfers, don't see an issue losing 10 off the current roster. The 7 would presumably be brought in to replace dead weight or players who aren't cutting it. Serves no purpose naming names, but looking at the list above there are more than 10 players who are unlikely to contribute on the field.

Advertisement

---ALL NAMES COME FROM THE CURRENT ROSTER, except for those who have not yet enrolled.
---I am not sure how to count Dave Ragone. I am not sure that he will be given a scholarship under Mario. What is weird is that he is a Division I transfer (Arkansas State). However, I don't think he ever counted as an IC (walk-on at Miami) and I don't think he ever signed an LOI (walk-on scholarship is 1-year renewable, but no obligation on UM's part).
---I am not sure how to count Nelson Foley, as he is an Aussie and I don't know if he signed an LOI or walked on...or even how much eligibility remains. If he was given an IC last year, he was a grayshirt, along with Oluwaseun (transfer) and Cody Brown (late enrollee, but NOT a transfer, he never enrolled elsewhere).
---I put transfers in their "original signing class" for clarity on eligibility.

FOR ICs, we have 29 slots (30 if Nelson Foley was never an IC) and have signatures from 22, leaving 7 ICs available (8 if Foley doesn't count). And, sure, we might grayshirt some guys too and cannibalize some 2023 ICs.

FOR COUNTERS, we are at a hard 88 (not counting Ragone) and as low as 87 (again, I've never gotten a straight answer on Nelson Foley). That means, if we take 7 more transfers, we have to lose 9 or 10 more guys (depending on Foley), unless the NCAA gives everyone another year of "don't worry about the 85 counters rule".

View attachment 181748
Many thanks.

It’s not quite a zero sum game, but we need approx. 1.25 scholarship players to leave for every transfer that arrives.

Advertisement
Pretty bummed about TAC, thought he would be a sideline to sideline player for us.

I'm always sad to see guys leave UM, particularly when they have been here for several years and have (or are close to having) a degree. But I understand the process and what needs to be done too.

I pretty much said the exact same thing yesterday to @Cribby .

Many thanks.

It’s not quite a zero sum game, but we need approx. 1.25 scholarship players to leave for every transfer that arrives.

Yeah, the key to the whole thing is the NCAA timing of getting back to 85. Even when they removed the limitation last year, I was in favor of getting back to 85 over a few years, not just one year.

Math is hard for the NCAA...

FOR COUNTERS, we are at a hard 88 (not counting Ragone) and as low as 87 (again, I've never gotten a straight answer on Nelson Foley). That means, if we take 7 more transfers, we have to lose 9 or 10 more guys.

Appreciate the solid effort and trust that you're close to being on target. That said, if we bring in another 7 transfers, don't see an issue losing 10 off the current roster. The 7 would presumably be brought in to replace dead weight or players who aren't cutting it. Serves no purpose naming names, but looking at the list above there are more than 10 players who are unlikely to contribute on the field.

Lose 9 or 10 (8 or 9 now with TAC gone, bummer) in order to pick up 7.

Some of these kids are going to be collateral damage of poor talent evals and development by Manny and his staff. Really sad and infuriating. A lot of these kids haven't gotten their degrees yet. Hopefully there's a gentle way to get them over the finish line if they're close.

But we all know it was bound to happen. Won't even need too much pushing by the staff for at least a handful on roster.

Sidebar questoin: Is Brooks a medical or is he actively practising now? Haven't heard his name in a minute.

View attachment 181748

This deserves its own thread. Maybe wait until a few days after Spring game though, when most of the fallout is expected.

Advertisement
Is this kid still visiting Southern Cal? I know mostly everyone focused on Mims and Harrell now. Any additional news been dropped?

What is the latest with Mesidor? It is still the consensus that he is a UM lean? Thought everything looked solid. Any plan to re-visit UM? Like ... for the Spring Game?

Advertisement
What is the latest with Mesidor? It is still the consensus that he is a UM lean? Thought everything looked solid. Any plan to re-visit UM? Like ... for the Spring Game?
Just a guess, but he is probably going through the admissions process prior to announcing. Don’t believe he’s visited anywhere else since Miami. It takes a few days to actually be admitted to the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back