Ajay Allen RB from Nebraska hits the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't also someone write in here that NFL values weight with durability?

If yes, how does one come up with that conclusion?

Advertisement
636848f9-efae-42b4-9a43-7d99cb478086_text.gif

Here's the weird thing - I'm giving you facts and you're interperating them as opinions.

The average NFL RB is 214. The average FBS RB is 202. 190 is much lighter. How is that an opinion?

Of the Top 10 teams in college last year - Jahmyr Gibbs was the smallest at 199. 199 may not be "small", but it's below average. These are facts, not opinions.

I think it's only fair to point out the website you pulled the stats from itself gives the following disclaimers:

• Height and weight: These are the average sizes of current college football players—they don’t represent how big athletes were when they first entered college. In other words, recruits don’t necessarily need to be this size right now, but they do need to have the frame to put on more weight and fill out enough to be competitive at the college level. It’s also worth calling out that these heights and weights might be a little exaggerated, as schools will often list players bigger on the roster than they actually are.
https://www.ncsasports.org/football/recruiting-guidelines

We can't say whether those are "actual" height/weight figures, as NCSA was relying on each university's reporting. It's also a bit unclear when that report was generated. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to learn the average FBS RB (enrolled, and among all class years) is about 5'10" 200 lbs.

I think I saw you acknowledge the other point in an earlier post, which is that the key is to evaluate these RBs to make certain they have the frame to get into the target height/weight range (whatever that may be).

I'd also add that I expect a greater variance in average height/weight for FBS RBs compared to NFL RBs. I'd be curious to know what one standard deviation from the mean looks like for an FBS RB (and for an NFL RB) on height/weight. My hypothesis would be that FBS RBs with a greater delta from the mean have a similar likelihood to be successful RBs at the FBS level (as compared to NFL RBs and success at the NFL level). How much great? Who knows.

What makes this post so amazing...

I can assume you would be more than happy with any of the 8 listed in the first three categories.

Arbitrarily set at 29-31 BMI (your post from earlier).

Yet, these RBs did not meet your athletic profile out of HS.

Portis
Homer
Duke
Dallas

50% of your barometer of former players listed do not even meet your criteria.

And what was their BMI leaving college? Stop flipping back to HS weights just to make it fit your argument.

All of the BMI numbers were from college. Where was BMI shown in this thread using HS weights?

Advertisement
And what was their BMI leaving college? Stop flipping back to HS weights just to make it fit your argument.

All of the BMI numbers were from college. Where was BMI shown in this thread using HS weights?

Because I’m comparing apples to apples - listed HS weight to listed HS weight.

You’re comparing listed HS weights to NFL combine weights.

I’m the one flipping to fit my argument though? I’ve consistently posted HS to HS comparisons.

Shouldn't we adjust to HS numbers if we're trying to apply this to the guys we're evaluating in HS? That seems to me the more apples to apples comparison, though admittedly I'm not sure those numbers are out there.

With more The Opening style events with verified testing, I'd guess it's easier to get verified height/weight for HS RBs than ever before. Then it's just a question of looking at the RBs performing at a top level in the FBS, and, where available, looking at their respective height/weight/BMI back in HS, and doing the math to find averages, variance, and standard deviation.

Advertisement
Davenport came to UM around 230-235...that I know without a doubt.

Yep.

So between Dee's comment about Clint being 180 and yours with Najeh being 230, this bshaw guy is clearly listing NFL weights.

And it's so silly. Nobody would argue that Edgerrin and JJ and Clint and Najeh and Willis and Frank didn't have NFL potential, regardless of their high school weight. More importantly, all of those guys (except Clint) played in SoFla (and, yes, people forget that Collier borders Dade), so the Miami coaching staff saw 5 of those 6 guys up close.

Regardless of their high school weight...

Ridiculous.

You already admitted that you STARTED this crazy tangent of yours because you got mad that a few posters said that we are recruiting guys with NFL-type bodies.

Relax. Players tend to gain weight between HS and the NFL. You're just mad because you misinterpreted some things that a few posters wrote.

Advertisement
Ridiculous.

You already admitted that you STARTED this crazy tangent of yours because you got mad that a few posters said that we are recruiting guys with NFL-type bodies.

Relax. Players tend to gain weight between HS and the NFL. You're just mad because you misinterpreted some things that a few posters wrote.

No - this is what I originally posted and people got bent out of shape

Knighton - 180 lbs (I know he's not on the team anymore - I'm just using him as an example since he recently played here)
Parrish - 190 lbs
CJ - 178 lbs
Wheatley-Humphrey - 175 lbs
Allen - 185 lbs

While individually I like things about each of these RB's, I don't think it's smart roster building by loading up with so many sub 190 lb RB's

CJ is listed at 5-11 / 178 - but 20 lbs and he's still tall & skinny & below average for a college RB. 5-11/198 is also a different body type than Gibbs 5-9/199.
CWH is listed at 6-0/175. That's even taller & skinnier.

Maybe they put on much more weight, I don't know. But given recent history with Yearby, Knighton, Parrish not getting above 190 - why do you think my cause for concern is so ridiculous?

My comment is about roster building. I'm not knocking any of those players individually. I like each of them. My comment is about having too many of those types on our roster at one time.

Yep.

So between Dee's comment about Clint being 180 and yours with Najeh being 230, this bshaw guy is clearly listing NFL weights.

And it's so silly. Nobody would argue that Edgerrin and JJ and Clint and Najeh and Willis and Frank didn't have NFL potential, regardless of their high school weight. More importantly, all of those guys (except Clint) played in SoFla (and, yes, people forget that Collier borders Dade), so the Miami coaching staff saw 5 of those 6 guys up close.

Regardless of their high school weight...
Yeah...Najeh put on an easy 12-15lbs after his Frosh yr.

Advertisement
No - this is what I originally posted and people got bent out of shape

Knighton - 180 lbs (I know he's not on the team anymore - I'm just using him as an example since he recently played here)
Parrish - 190 lbs
CJ - 178 lbs
Wheatley-Humphrey - 175 lbs
Allen - 185 lbs

While individually I like things about each of these RB's, I don't think it's smart roster building by loading up with so many sub 190 lb RB's

CJ is listed at 5-11 / 178 - but 20 lbs and he's still tall & skinny & below average for a college RB. 5-11/198 is also a different body type than Gibbs 5-9/199.
CWH is listed at 6-0/175. That's even taller & skinnier.

Maybe they put on much more weight, I don't know. But given recent history with Yearby, Knighton, Parrish not getting above 190 - why do you think my cause for concern is so ridiculous?

My comment is about roster building. I'm not knocking any of those players individually. I like each of them. My comment is about having too many of those types on our roster at one time.

Stop spinning.

This is the where you explained why you are fighting over this issue:

1683585270332.png

People said "we need more NFL talent", not "all our RBs need to be NFL size while they are still in high school".

Enough already. I'd love to have Edge and JJ and Clint and Najeh and Willis and Frank on the team once again, but we might never see a run of RBs like that again. Ever.

Because I’m comparing apples to apples - listed HS weight to listed HS weight.

You’re comparing listed HS weights to NFL combine weights.

I’m the one flipping to fit my argument though? I’ve consistently posted HS to HS comparisons.

The article @BoxingRobes posted uses RB's NFL weights - https://www.footballoutsiders.com/projection-points/2020/running-back-growth-potential-starts-size

So that 29-31 optimum BMI is for NFL RB's - it's not using what those RB's weighed in High School.

You're confused & incorrect on both posters & data

Still have yet to see an answer on why a junior in high school who still has an entire year to grow before graduating high school and then going to college is being listed and compared to people at the nfl combine. Jit must be Finna go pro today Lmfao nvm I don’t want to know why anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back