AJ Legget

Miami (Fla.) South Miami four-star cornerback Amos Leggett parted ways with Miami last week after speaking with members of the coaching staff in Coral Gables. The decision was mutual and due to Al Golden and company believing they would have trouble getting Leggett admitted and cleared.

"I have decommitted from Miami. I won't be playing at Miami," Legget said. "I met with the Miami coaches last week and they basically told me that involving the paperwork to get in, and with them being a private school, that I wouldn't be able to get in. It was basically that with them being a private school I would have trouble getting in.

"I want the coaches and the fans of Miami to know I appreciated all of their attention and interest in me," Leggett added. "I wish them the very best."

While Miami believes that Leggett is an academic risk, the Rivals250 prospect believes he has what it takes on his transcripts to play at the Division I level next season.

"I am qualified already," Leggett said. "I have a good test score and GPA. There is always room for improvement, but I am already qualified. I scored a 22 on the ACT. I have a 2.2 core GPA. I haven't gotten through the (NCAA) Clearinghouse yet, that is what I am working on now. I am at that stage now."

With his name back on the market, he is looking at a handful of schools.

"I am looking at Marshall, Ohio State, Florida State, Vanderbilt, and Nebraska," Leggett said. "Nebraska just came by today and set up a visit with me. I just left from Marshall this past weekend. I am supposed to be setting up a visit with Ohio State. I am supposed to be visiting Florida State in January."

He talked about his time at Marshall this past weekend.

"I really got to hang out with the coaches and the players," Leggett said. "They talked to me about how bad they want me. They showed me what it is like up there. I just felt real comfortable around the players. I feel I can go in there and make an early impact."

That visit did a great deal of good for the Thundering Herd.

"Marshall was my first official visit and I really liked it up there, so they are kind of standing out right now," Leggett said. "The visit helped them a lot."

Next up for Leggett will be a trip to check out the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

"I am heading to Nebraska next week (on Dec. 16th)," Leggett said. "I am not visiting anywhere this weekend."

Leggett says his final decision will come on National Signing Day.

**** this bull**** admissions department. If this kid can go to Nebraska or FSU, there's no ******* reason he shouldn't be able to go to Miami.

You are kidding yourself. He might get in one place.. O$U. But I'm banking on Juco.

If he gets into Ohio State, there's no excuse for him not to get into Miami. Its not like OSU is a ****** school.

Advertisement
since i've followed recruiting for a good 11 years , I've seen this story before. i am inclined to believe that there is no way this kid gets through clearinghouse. 4 highschools in 4 years = no college without prepping at least. His only option then would be schools that except non-qualifiers such as Marshall. If he goes that route , he needs to sit a year anyway, so there is no point to not prepping and going to UM . If he is accepted at another institution such as FSU or OSU, then I would be inclined to believe he has off field, non-classroom stuff precluding him from getting into UM. If its none of the above and it is just UM admissions, then we will never compete with the big boys again. If that is the case it would be very disheartening.

He might want to try Vandy, but I've talked with Vandy staff and recruiters and no way in **** will they even sniff this kid. Its him talking and they can't confirm or deny interest in him at this point.

BTW, he could mention Oxford University, but that would only prompt howls of laughter from across the pond.

Advertisement
He will end up at FSU or LSU and WVU and be a first round pick someday. **** the luck.

This whole situation just makes me SMH. Not sure where the blame goes but no matter what the fact that he won't be part of this class hurts big time.

Advertisement
It's being suggested on TOS that it may be more than just grades. That the staff feels like AJ lacks athleticism and while he may be the best corner coming out of HS, he has the least upside of any of the corner commits other than Davis since he is the slowest & least athletic. Something about two electronically timed 40s @ 4.83.

Also not a ringing endorsement for Davis.

TFWIW.

Davis is a stud I actually think he has a ton of upside. Not sure if I'm buying that with AJ either. I'll bet it has something to do with the transfers.

We can't afford to be turning away talented corners unless the staff knows there are guys who want in.

Advertisement
Davis is a stud I actually think he has a ton of upside. Not sure if I'm buying that with AJ either. I'll bet it has something to do with the transfers.

Said transfers was a part of it too, but did say that the lack of athleticism & upside probably had something to do with it.

TOS = Canestime, BTW

It's being suggested on TOS that it may be more than just grades. That the staff feels like AJ lacks athleticism and while he may be the best corner coming out of HS, he has the least upside of any of the corner commits other than Davis since he is the slowest & least athletic. Something about two electronically timed 40s @ 4.83.

TFWIW.

Is this surprising at all? Mike likes the current staff right now, so he's going to spin almost everything, just like he did with Coker/Shannon. When/if he sours on them,though, he's going to roast their every move, just like he did with Coker/Shannon.

TFWIW.

Is this surprising at all? Mike likes the current staff right now, so he's going to spin almost everything, just like he did with Coker/Shannon. When/if he sours on them,though, he's going to roast their every move, just like he did with Coker/Shannon.

Exactly, us "passing" on AJ in favor of Larry Hope and Nate Dortch is pure spin cycle. Its insulting to the reader's intelligence.

Advertisement

TFWIW.

Exactly, us "passing" on AJ in favor of Larry Hope and Nate Dortch is pure spin cycle. Its insulting to the reader's intelligence.

First off, Bakas isn't as wild about the staff and Golden as you think. He's had his own issues with the team and access. Secondly, he knows what's up with AJL and it has nothing to do with 40 times and "upside," so I have no idea why he's saying that.

What's up with this kid is the Bobby Washingtonesque ACT score he just produced. I'm not sure if this is his first attempt, but that score along with his core GPA always gets flagged by the Clearinghouse.

In the absence of public facts (and the lack of info from the hot dog guy) tells me there is much more to this than just the staff thinking he's slow.

TFWIW.

First off, Bakas isn't as wild about the staff and Golden as you think. He's had his own issues with the team and access. Secondly, he knows what's up with AJL and it has nothing to do with 40 times and "upside," so I have no idea why he's saying that.

I didn't say he was wild about them; I said he likes them. I don't know about his access now, but it's not like he was giving us tons of insider stuff in the past that would suggest he had the greatest access back then. At any rate, I stand by my initial comments. He's high on the staff and has commented as such on a few occasions.

Advertisement
Back