After 8 games, have we seen any improvement?

Iggcane

Recruit
I have been thinking about this for the last week or so. So, I figured I would put it out there. There seems to be some marked improvements by some players on the team, most notably, Jacory. However, it seems that, as a team, we are still struggling with inconsistency that has plagued us for the two regimes. I don't know if I was wrong to expect a quick turn around, but I do not believe I was wrong to expect us to beat Virginia at home, Maryland (sanctions and all, they lost to Temple) and Kansas State (I know their record, but saw them play, we should have won).

We played great against GTech, VTech and even N Carolina. But it seems that we just can't sustain our level of play every game. I don't know that this should take that long. And though, we have seen some major improvements in some areas of our team, we still have a team problem - inconsistency......

Advertisement
The improvement we need to be looking at is not only from one game to the next but from one season to the next.
It is very difficult to be patient. I want to wn every game we play every week.
BUT:

A.G. seems to have what it takes to get development/improvement from players, ie Jacory, Streeter ect.
and improvement from teams, ie special teams.
He also appears to have what it takes to keep us close in games, ie. no loss more than 8 points.

With better recruiting/better players consistency will begin to show over the course of time. We will need to be patient as hard as that is.

I think that's exactly why we'll get a major glimpse of the future over the next 4 games. My concern is that we've consistently been on the wrong end of close games. It's a red flag.

I am not so sure that the next four games will tell us a lot we do not already know. The teams with bigger and stonger O-lines and D-lines will give us trouble for the rest of the year. It will take some time to enhance/increase strenth and toughness which IMO remains our biggest problem. One more year to get stonger, more weight lifting neede and one full off season to develop players physically will help a lot.

We're likely to have some close games in the next 4. I need to see we can be on the correct side of those games. If we're on the wrong side *every* time, I'll be concerned. That's not a talent issue.

Advertisement
Lu, couldn't agree more.

Look at the streak Auburn had of pulling out close games. You start pulling those games out and it becomes a habit. Unfortunately we are on the opposite end of that spectrum.

Attachments

• 26_4733141.jpg
    26_4733141.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
I see change out there. You've got guys like Jacory and Streeter that are balling. I think though that the team still hasn't bought into Golden's philosophy, and that it will take some of the old guard to clear out for that to happen. We are fighting hard every game, and that is more encouraging than the quitting I saw last season.

Attachments

• TheWork.jpg
    TheWork.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 17,363
We all can look at the play or two that wins or losses it at the end. Those so called impact plays that we think determine the outcome of a game.

You win close games by dominating at the line of scrimmage for the entire game. You do not win close games because you have developed a habit. It is not a habit or a trait. It is the ability to be and remain stonger/tougher for an entire game. Yes, it will appear like the skill players will make the difference at the end, but that is only how it looks. They will make a great run, or catch or throw or break up a pass to "win it" or "save it.
But without the lines being in control it is very difficut to do what you need to do late in the game to "pull it out at the end".

Attachments

• DreWilder.jpg
    DreWilder.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 10,401
I think that's exactly why we'll get a major glimpse of the future over the next 4 games. My concern is that we've consistently been on the wrong end of close games. It's a red flag.

Concerning the coaching staff?

Attachments

• DreWilder.jpg
    DreWilder.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
Advertisement
We need to close out strong.....then we'll see.

Attachments

• Hillery.jpg
    Hillery.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 10,387
We all can look at the play or two that wins or losses it at the end. Those so called impact plays that we think determine the outcome of a game.

You win close games by dominating at the line of scrimmage for the entire game. You do not win close games because you have developed a habit. It is not a habit or a trait. It is the ability to be and remain stonger/tougher for an entire game. Yes, it will appear like the skill players will make the difference at the end, but that is only how it looks. They will make a great run, or catch or throw or break up a pass to "win it" or "save it.
But without the lines being in control it is very difficut to do what you need to do late in the game to "pull it out at the end".

This goes back to my point about inconsistency. I felt like in the VTech game, we dominated the line of scrimmage on offense. but since, we haven't been able to get a push..We all felt like O-line was the strength of our team, and they have been inconsistent. I know there have been injuries, but I don't thnk that is the problem.

from last season to this season.. yes... we aren't getting blown out.. we've had a chance to win every game near the end.. and we've just fallen short..

Concerning the coaching staff?

Yes. Let's see how they improve in that area. I like that Golden called himself out and became accountable. The players aren't the only ones who have to improve. The end of a game involves quite a bit of management and strategy.

Attachments

• 4918036.jpg
    4918036.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 12,135
Advertisement
We've improved in 2 out of 3 categories. Speical teams are light years ahead of the recent teams and the offense is more balanced, though the running game has been in a slump. Hustle, effort and team attitude have been better as well IMO.

Lots of work to do on the defensive side of the ball. 2 of our 3 best defenders are freshmen(Chick-Perryman). Not a single playmaker or ballhawk in the back. Not too much you can do until the roster has been purged.

IGGCANE:
I do not think that the O-line dominated against VT. Just the opposite. They did not play well against KSU or Virginia either. Those teams have more experienced and stonger D-lines. Like FSU has.
We might be splitting hairs here, but I do not see the issue being "consistency of play" but it being about strenth and toughness. It is a long term problem not a week in and week out issue.

When we play smaller lines we can beat them. See GT game. Bigger and stronger lines, both on O and D are going to give us trouble even when our skill players are way bettter than theirs. See the Virginia and KSU games.

Attachments

• 26_4873413.jpg
    26_4873413.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 9,546
Advertisement
No major turnaround of a dormant power manifests iteslf in year 1, from a W-L perspective.

OSU
OU
USC
UTex
Bama

None of these teams, with coaches now considered elite, produced immediate results on the schedule.

I think we're seeing very tangible improvements on offense, special teams, and in execution. Penalties are way down. Have we had a single return for a TD against us? There's improvement out there, but - from a wins perspective - years 2 and 3 will tell whether or not we have the right guy.

Attachments

• CMR.jpg
    CMR.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,589
Jacory, Streeter, and special teams are easy to see, and much needed improvements. The team does also seem to play with more heart and keeps fighting until the last whistle. Those are all good changes. The problem is there are still plenty of issues that we've had in the past that still plague us. We're still penalized too much. We still struggle to create turnovers. Guys still make lots of mental errors, missing assignments, etc. that should be close to non-existent under well coached and disciplined teams. And, most improtantly, we are still losing to teams we should beat. The UVA, especially, loss was concerning. The other losses had built in excuses (Lots of starters suspended for MD, KState is only a one loss team, VT was VT and we played at their house, etc.) but UVA didn't. UVA flat out is not a team that should have beat UM.

Before the UVa game, I would have said yes, emphatically.

Now, however...that was a classic Randy face flop in that game. I really want to see us finish the season strong...that is where we really see improvement.

Attachments

• dr.jpg
    dr.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 202
  • hb.jpg
    hb.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 6,847
  • JN.jpg
    JN.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 203
  • scst.jpg
    scst.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 204
The improvement we need to be looking at is not only from one game to the next but from one season to the next.
It is very difficult to be patient. I want to wn every game we play every week.
BUT:

A.G. seems to have what it takes to get development/improvement from players, ie Jacory, Streeter ect.
and improvement from teams, ie special teams.
He also appears to have what it takes to keep us close in games, ie. no loss more than 8 points.

With better recruiting/better players consistency will begin to show over the course of time. We will need to be patient as hard as that is.

So Golden can get guys like Streeter and Harris to get better but not one player from the defense? Doesn't make any sense. In fact, most of our defensive players have gotten worse.

Advertisement
Back