After 8 games, have we seen any improvement?

I don't think they have gotten "worse". They are better but still inconsistent. D Smith, Chick, Perryman, Gaines, JoJo and Ojomo have gotten better. But it take 11 guys to play D not 6-7.

Advertisement
No major turnaround of a dormant power manifests iteslf in year 1, from a W-L perspective.

OSU
OU
USC
UTex
Bama

None of these teams, with coaches now considered elite, produced immediate results on the schedule.

I think we're seeing very tangible improvements on offense, special teams, and in execution. Penalties are way down. Have we had a single return for a TD against us? There's improvement out there, but - from a wins perspective - years 2 and 3 will tell whether or not we have the right guy.

One could argue that the offense is actually worse than it was last year. When you look at tangible improvements the only thing that has really improved is kick off, coverage, turnovers by Harris and penalties yet we're still 4-4 with one of the most experinced teams in the acc.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 18,045
One could argue that the offense is actually worse than it was last year. When you look at tangible improvements the only thing that has really improved is kick off, coverage, turnovers by Harris and penalties yet we're still 4-4 with one of the most experinced teams in the acc.
the biggest problems i saw last year on offense were int's and the WRs (too many dropped balls and routes not being ran correctly/not being on the same page with the QB) we have had minimal dropped passes and the ints have been a non issue. we have improved alot on special teams. we are still getting dumb penalties, those two penalties against UVA really cost us the game

I think we've seen that we've had players on offense but never anyone who could put the pieces together.

On the other side fo the ball we've seen that our recruiting has been sub par and we've had some misses.

I would like to say our offense has improved but it has been pretty streaky so far in the season, don't think the defense has improved much at all. I'm not sure if the blame can do on our DC because like I said I'm not sure the talent is there.

Oo and another huge improvement is that we actually have timeouts going into the 2nd and 4th quarter

Advertisement
This Duke game is big. We need to bounce back from the performance against Virginia. I truly believe Uncle Al is making sure we don't take this game lightly and that Duke is a solid opponent. I want to see the pass defense step it up.. For that to happen, we need to get pressure from the front four.... We know this duke team can air it out. That's what has me a bit concerned.

Attachments

• IMG_3947.jpg
    IMG_3947.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 24,325
The Virginia game scares the **** out of me. Wouldn't have hesitated a nano-second prior to that with a positive response. That game, though, is the one I thought we were going to stop seeing.

Advertisement
I say yes we have improved. Just the "never quit" mentality is an improvement, IMO. Making come backs in all of our losses and making an extremely competitive game. With Shannon as the head coach we probably would have just folded up and quit in those games.

What we need to improve on is executing the plays properly, getting stronger in the weight room, making tackles etc. That cannot happen immediately. That is something that will take time. We will know a little bit more next season where we stand with those things.

I think we have improved but we are still trying to figure out how to close... I am not concerned as this is how I figured we would be this year. Win some we maybe shouldn't and lose some we shouldn't. Most of these guys are still feeling the sting of losing (i.e. MNW, BTW guys). I know alot of folks are still stuck on the Virginia game. But after playing fairly well against GT and UNC, you have to have some patience. I still believe we **** the bed once more this year.

I think we've seen improvement, but as I've stated since the beginning, I'm in wait and see mode. The UVA game didn't surprise me because I've felt all along this journey was going to be a roller coaster ride. Even with regards to the end of this season, I don't think it's going to sway me one way or the other. I'm interested in how he continues to build, and the snapshot of a couple of games IMO is not going to do justice to that process. If we tank the rest of the season, will that be alarming? Sure. If we win out, will I be excited? Sure. But with either one of those scenarios, I'm more interested in the next season and the next step. I'm of the belief that Golden has a solid foundation as a coach, but I'm more interested in if he will have the ability as a coach to get us to the next level, and I'm not so sure that any results from this year will tell me that because quite frankly, he's growing as a coach himself.

just my .02

I say yes we have improved. Just the "never quit" mentality is an improvement, IMO. Making come backs in all of our losses and making an extremely competitive game. With Shannon as the head coach we probably would have just folded up and quit in those games.

What we need to improve on is executing the plays properly, getting stronger in the weight room, making tackles etc. That cannot happen immediately. That is something that will take time. We will know a little bit more next season where we stand with those things.

Disagree. We had games where we came back with Shannon as the HC. Obviously the team didn't quit in those games. The UV loss was bad and the Maryland loss is looking worse and worse.

Advertisement
I think a lot of you are missing the main issue we're seeing this year.

This is still Randall Shammin's team.

As I mentioned above - Every major turnaround of a dormant power in recent years made little or no progress on the schedule in the first year.

Losing to Maryland and UVA - and four other teams this year - won't mean that Golden isn't the right guy. You could argue that how we lose the games might matter, but history tells us our final results will blow this year, even if Golden is the powerhouse we hope he is.

The biggest shocker from years past is the absolute disintegration on defensive line. We are worse than crushed cornflakes at the bottom of the box.

Watching the FSU-BC game, couldn't help think ... we had a DL like that even on our most average teams of the past.

Shocking how woeful we are.

I see a ton of improvement over last years team. Has it resulted in more wins, not so much, but thats not necessarily the best metric to use in evaluating a true rebuilding process.

The offense is much improved.
Special teams are exponentially improved. (Botts and The Claw have been lifesavers)
The team has played a full 60 minutes in every game. (HUGE improvement)
Stupid penalties are down

Advertisement
We're just not good enough in the trenches yet. Its understandable on defense and contributes heavily to our issues getting off the field in critical situations, but its not understandable on offense.

Out of the offensive line I see classic Kehoe, a good pass blocking oline that gets whipped in short yardage. Our running game back in the late 90s, early aughts, was still not dominant in the sense that they could line up and run for 2-3 yards whenever they needed it. This current oline should be able to do that but it can't. It will help to get Chase Ford the **** off the field, but overall our line is a bit of a disappointment. I'd be in favor of going to an unbalanced line in short yardage or playing Henderson at tight end.

But overall, we've had a chance to win every game. We were blown out multiple times every season under Shannon, so its a definite improvement to at least have us in the games. We'll eventually get the roster and execution up to a winning level. I don't think we'll ever be world beaters in close games, but I do think we'll play in fewer of them as our personnel improves.

Special Teams are great, but when I think of improvement I think punt and kick off coverage. Botts and The Claw have been solid but it's not like Bosher didn't do his thing here.

The biggest shocker from years past is the absolute disintegration on defensive line. We are worse than crushed cornflakes at the bottom of the box.

Watching the FSU-BC game, couldn't help think ... we had a DL like that even on our most average teams of the past.

Shocking how woeful we are.

I don't think the DL play is all that surprising. Most of the year the DEs have been Chick (true Fr), Robinson, and Smith and that's it. The DT has been Regis, Smith (1st year here), Ojomo (270lb converted DE), and Grimble (true Fr). Tough to win when that is your rotation.

It will take awhile but I think we will get there. I think we are recruiting the right type of players to start this thing moving in the right direction.

I think there is a quote, "1st you lose close, then win close, then win big" or something like that. I'd say we are in phase 1 right now.

I see a ton of improvement over last years team. Has it resulted in more wins, not so much, but thats not necessarily the best metric to use in evaluating a true rebuilding process.

The offense is much improved.
Special teams are exponentially improved. (Botts and The Claw have been lifesavers)
The team has played a full 60 minutes in every game. (HUGE improvement)
Stupid penalties are down

This sin't a true rebuilding process IMO. Miami came in with the most experinced teams in the ACC. How is that "rebuilding"?

Offense much improved? How so besides not turning the ball over?
ST's comment is questionable since the coach himself has called out Botts and other aspects of ST's
Team playing 60 mins isn't anything new.
Agree penalties are down

Advertisement
Back