Administration

mlw352

Sophomore
I’d have to say they’re a whole lot better now with the new president and I feel confident in saying they seem like they genuinely want us back relevant and as champions again what’s everyone else’s thoughts

Advertisement
It sure helps that the new President has a wad of cash Pablo Escobar would be proud of to help him.

Between the revenues produced by the new TV and Adidas contracts, it's been a whole new world for us financially the last few years. I'm happy Frenk is willing to spend, but I don't think he's been some type of catalyst for dramatic shift in the way we look at sports here.

And just wait til the dollars starts pouring in from the ACC Network about to drop.

We'll never be Bama, Texas, Michigan or even UF money wise.

But we'll never be the red headed step child financially again.

It all started with the massive Adidas deal. That was a shot in the arm that made hiring a real coaching staff much, much easier.

Advertisement
Wait until we actually win something and that Adidas deal is instantly renegotiated too. They just threw a giant wad of cash at the University of Washington. They may not overthrow Nike in the world of college football but they sure seem to be trying.

It sure helps that the new President has a wad of cash Pablo Escobar would be proud of to help him.

Between the revenues produced by the new TV and Adidas contracts, it's been a whole new world for us financially the last few years. I'm happy Frenk is willing to spend, but I don't think he's been some type of catalyst for dramatic shift in the way we look at sports here.

And just wait til the dollars starts pouring in from the ACC Network about to drop.

We'll never be Bama, Texas, Michigan or even UF money wise.

But we'll never be the red headed step child financially again.
I agree, but I'll say you just need enough to remain on their level. That and big prime time wins. Once we're know as a championship caliber organization and kids grow up knowing the U as such, we'll be financially rich enough to better those rich teams.

It all started with the massive Adidas deal. That was a shot in the arm that made hiring a real coaching staff much, much easier.

Moving to the ACC and to HRS also infused huge amounts of cash into the athletic program. Yet ultimately, Coach Richt and the boosters had to pay for every penny of the IPF. Haven't seen this administration do much of anything except sit there and watch the corn grow, but I'm glad it's growing.

Not sure what to make of Richt's early extension, could be a good thing, I'm not sure. But we did let our premiere position coach get away to a program who offered to pay more, so that's par for the course as far as Miami administrations go.

Moving to the ACC and to HRS also infused huge amounts of cash into the athletic program. Yet ultimately, Coach Richt and the boosters had to pay for every penny of the IPF. Haven't seen this administration do much of anything except sit there and watch the corn grow, but I'm glad it's growing.

Not sure what to make of Richt's early extension, could be a good thing, I'm not sure. But we did let our premiere position coach get away to a program who offered to pay more, so that's par for the course as far as Miami administrations go.
I don't think losing coach Kuligowski was such a bad thing. Pretty sure Richt wants someone that will work harder on the recruiting trail, and has found that in Simpson. Losing Dugans to FSU would have been much, much worse.

Advertisement
Wait until we actually win something and that Adidas deal is instantly renegotiated too. They just threw a giant wad of cash at the University of Washington. They may not overthrow Nike in the world of college football but they sure seem to be trying.

What’s going to hurt them is King leaving Adidas in June. He did wonders for rebranding their image, here in America. Don’t know y he’s leaving especially w all the work they’ve done.

They may also be tied in some legal issues w staff paying AAU players to go to their sponsored schools. I know Skechers just filed a lawsuit against them (not sure if that’s going to go anywhere).

I don't think losing coach Kuligowski was such a bad thing. Pretty sure Richt wants someone that will work harder on the recruiting trail, and has found that in Simpson. Losing Dugans to FSU would have been much, much worse.

Maybe, but that’s beside the point.

Kul was a great coach but he was also VERY lazy when it came to recruiting and that Has to be as important as the coaching part.

Simpson seems to be a guy that will bust his *** recruiting and he opens up areas in Ga. we normally wouldn’t get into. Also according to reports is a good coach.If he is anywhere near Kul with his coaching then losing Kul and getting Simpson will be an upgrade.

Kul was a great coach but he was also VERY lazy when it came to recruiting and that Has to be as important as the coaching part.

Simpson seems to be a guy that will bust his *** recruiting and he opens up areas in Ga. we normally wouldn’t get into. Also according to reports is a good coach.If he is anywhere near Kul with his coaching then losing Kul and getting Simpson will be an upgrade.

I'm not arguing that. But for one, we can't say if Simpson "is anywhere near Kul with his coaching". Kool is widely respected as one of the best DL coaches in the game, and Simpson has never done it. Maybe Simpson will prove to be better than Kul over the next few years, but that's beside the point that we let an elite position coach get away, like we normally do. Don't forget that everyone wanted Aranda over the "cheaper option" Diaz. Now that Diaz has proven to be a great hire at a lower cost, what happens if he is no longer available at a lower cost? That's where we'll see what the administration does again. So far, the admin doesn't seem to be markedly different from previous ones.

Advertisement
What’s going to hurt them is King leaving Adidas in June. He did wonders for rebranding their image, here in America. Don’t know y he’s leaving especially w all the work they’ve done.

They may also be tied in some legal issues w staff paying AAU players to go to their sponsored schools. I know Skechers just filed a lawsuit against them (not sure if that’s going to go anywhere).

Yeah, the King deal is weird. He's supposedly staying on as an advisor but that may just be due to contract verbiage. Of course they deny it has anything to do with the scandal but people will still jump to try to make a connection to Gatto. You know anything about this young(er) guy from New Zealand that's replacing King?

I personally view that Skechers suit as a cheap attention grab but I'm also not an attorney.

I'm not arguing that. But for one, we can't say if Simpson "is anywhere near Kul with his coaching". Kool is widely respected as one of the best DL coaches in the game, and Simpson has never done it. Maybe Simpson will prove to be better than Kul over the next few years, but that's beside the point that we let an elite position coach get away, like we normally do. Don't forget that everyone wanted Aranda over the "cheaper option" Diaz. Now that Diaz has proven to be a great hire at a lower cost, what happens if he is no longer available at a lower cost? That's where we'll see what the administration does again. So far, the admin doesn't seem to be markedly different from previous ones.

i spoke with a few of the defensive linemen and they're buying what simpson is selling, and all have said that his personality makes him great to work with.

kul is a prick that had an eye on the door before he even got to campus. he's the better coach, but the kids were well aware that he was using us until he could move to a bama/clemson/georgia where he doesn't have to recruit. hard to let someone get away if they never intended to stay long-term.

The word was we offered Aranda a million a year. That's not cheap by any means for a DC. LSU countered by making him the 4th highest paid assistant in the nation. We weren't being cheap on that hire.

Advertisement
It's amazing how ignorant a lot of our fans are in regards to WHAT the University President and those people actually DO in regards to athletics. Frenk isn't doing anything, just like Shalala. No competent University President is doing anything significant with the athletic department on a day to day basis.

The only difference between 2008 and now is that Blake James, after prodding by Al Golden finally brought the Miami fundraising machine into the 21st century. The school, will not, and should not subsidize the athletic department, what they earn is what they should spend. When you earn more via sponsorships and fundraising, you tend to be able to spend a whole lot more. The Adidas deal was HUGE, merely because it ensured that the department would have a lot more cash coming in. When you combine that the school getting a proven winner as HC, it's not shocking that the department would be more profitable, leading to more money being available for assistants. Even with the improved salaries, Miami still works within a budget, due to the fact that it's not a bottomless pit of money. That's why guys like Jon Richt are on staff, it's tough to have a whole staff of killers, when you have to skimp in some areas.

Jim Larranaga has had a similar effect. Miami basketball sells out on a regular basis, that means more money for facility upgrades, that means more money to pay assistants and support staff. Miami basketball improving helps the football program, because that means the basketball program is a self-sufficient unit, opening up funds for football.

It is my belief that if Coach Richt wanted Kool to stay the administration would have stepped up and stroked a check to insure he didn't leave. Something was not right with Kool, especially when one considers his lack of production on the recruiting front.

i spoke with a few of the defensive linemen and they're buying what simpson is selling, and all have said that his personality makes him great to work with.

kul is a prick that had an eye on the door before he even got to campus. he's the better coach, but the kids were well aware that he was using us until he could move to a bama/clemson/georgia where he doesn't have to recruit. hard to let someone get away if they never intended to stay long-term.

He's going to have to recruit wherever he goes, but the thing about Kool is that he has consistently been able to do more with less. The ultimate judgment is going to be the results on the field, not who's the best recruiter or the nicest guy. Hopefully it works out for the better, but that's not the point. The fact is we lost an elite coach to a lateral move, again.

The word was we offered Aranda a million a year. That's not cheap by any means for a DC. LSU countered by making him the 4th highest paid assistant in the nation. We weren't being cheap on that hire.

We didn't offer him enough money to land him. Use whatever description you'd like.

Advertisement
Back