Adidas to Start Offering NIL Deals

Possibly since NIL is basically law, albeit case law and not statutory law (made by courts and not congress).
Even when the case was being prosecuted I kept asking one simple question. Who were the victims when shoe companies gave money to families? Because if there are no victims why in the world would the activity be a crime? And who were we protecting with the dumb laws? The families so that they would not be enticed by thousands of dollars from companies making billions? We protected no one, we took money away from families that needed it, and we threw middlemen under the bus.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
B/c they jumped through ridiculous hoops to charge them with fraud. Ultimately they said that the middlemen defrauded the schools b/c by paying the recruits they made the kids ineligible which meant that the schools gave scholarships to players they shouldn't have.

“Here, as the jury could have reasonably found, Defendants deprived the Universities of property — athletic-based aid that they could have awarded to students who were eligible to play — by breaking NCAA rules and depriving the Universities of relevant information through fundamentally dishonest means,”

All this even though it was representatives of the schools that wanted to shoe companies to pay the recruits in the first place.

Basically these schools and head coaches were like mob bosses putting the underlings at risk and making sure not to leave a paper trail.

Advertisement
B/c they jumped through ridiculous hoops to charge them with fraud. Ultimately they said that the middlemen defrauded the schools b/c by paying the recruits they made the kids ineligible which meant that the schools gave scholarships to players they shouldn't have.

“Here, as the jury could have reasonably found, Defendants deprived the Universities of property — athletic-based aid that they could have awarded to students who were eligible to play — by breaking NCAA rules and depriving the Universities of relevant information through fundamentally dishonest means,”

All this even though it was representatives of the schools that wanted to shoe companies to pay the recruits in the first place.

Basically these schools and head coaches were like mob bosses putting the underlings at risk and making sure not to leave a paper trail.
You are right that they used really tortured logic to make that stupid case.

It's 50,000 potential athletes not a $50k payout. Although the total number of potential athletes on this front for either company is probably an almost irrelevant factor.

Imhho, I believe Adidas NIL market will be more centered & focused around basketball. The recruiting scandals didn’t involve football or baseball, but rather basketball. Their two crown jewel schools are UL (due to nepotism from the former AD), & KU. Hence, those two received the biggest endorsement deals, followed by UDub.

Adidas has been mad desperate to make a dent in the b-ball arena, hence they stole Jerry Lorenzo from Nike to head their b-ball division, and have been giving young players like Mitchell & Trae Young their own signature lines in hopes to keep them before the next contract. It’s also why they’ve been trying to re-release Kobe old shoes before he switched to Nike while his estate is in the middle of negotiations w/ Nike about a potential re-partnership. Their AAU circuits have lacked star power for a min, but they r trying to revamp that.

So it’ll be interesting to see.

Advertisement
Playing Devil’s Advocate, I would argue Phil & the board turning UO into UNike has paid off great dividends. Have they won any Nat’l titles? No; but let’s be honest, there’s 127-130 FBS teams in a given season, w/ only 1 team winning the Nat’l title. Yet, they’ve gotten caliber of recruits that they’ve never had before, have played in two Nat’l Championship games in recent years, along w/ multiple NY6 bowl appearances/wins.

There was an article from an outlet mentioning the importance of relevance vs. the importance of winning it all. The CFP has changed the perception of what it means to have a successful football season. Imo, UO has been wildly successful despite not being a blue blood school. I also think Lanning has the ability to be the defensive version of Riley; a young guy who’s a shark of a recruiter that comes from a solid coaching tree.

If anything, I say Texas A&M have been the poster child of underachieving; all that $$ thrown w/ zero conference or division titles, w/ one 10+ win season in 23 yrs.
I think the Nike favoritism to UO has been overplayed and it’s more symbolic than an expectation for chips or because of Knight.
Nike like all corporations are about that bottom line and not a drop of loyalty. They don’t care who wins a natty as long as that logo is on that uniform.
Nike doesn’t benefit more if the ducks win a natty.
But they do benefit tremendously if all the playoff teams have that logo.
And it sure as **** matters to high school kids.
From the final 4 to the bcs, Nike has understood the importance of branding, exposure and fashion.

They’ll gladly throw money at the AAU and college teams cause it pays dividends and millions in free advertising for their logo. It also provides a head start with the best athletes. Look at at all their brand ambassadors and where they went to school. Of course there are exceptions. But Nike hangs on to the best players.

Exactly.

General free advice - if you’re doing dirt, make sure your laundry man gives Uncle Sam his cut.
Not that anyone mails things anymore, but don't do that either or they will tack on Mail Fraud and it allows them to bring the Postal Inspectors in who are not held to the same standards as other law enforcement for warrants. That's actually how they arrested Steve Bannon.

I think the Nike favoritism to UO has been overplayed and it’s more symbolic than an expectation for chips or because of Knight.
Nike like all corporations are about that bottom line and not a drop of loyalty. They don’t care who wins a natty as long as that logo is on that uniform.
Nike doesn’t benefit more if the ducks win a natty.
But they do benefit tremendously if all the playoff teams have that logo.
And it sure as **** matters to high school kids.
From the final 4 to the bcs, Nike has understood the importance of branding, exposure and fashion.

They’ll gladly throw money at the AAU and college teams cause it pays dividends and millions in free advertising for their logo. It also provides a head start with the best athletes. Look at at all their brand ambassadors and where they went to school. Of course there are exceptions. But Nike hangs on to the best players.

This is true:

Top 12 selling endorsed shoes right now:
-Nike/Jordan Brand: 7 (Jordan, LBJ, KD, Giannis, Kyrie, Westbrook, Williamson)
-Adidas: 3 (Harden, Lillard, Rose)
-UA: 1 (Curry)
-Anta: (Thompson)

Hopefully Kobe will be back on the Nike squad, and I know Luka will be getting his own signature shoe this yr.

With the NCAA Sweet 16 round:
12 Nike/JB schools
3 Adidas schools (including a mid major)
1 UA school

CFP:
3 Nike/JB school
1 UA school

In essence, Adidas needs this NIL to gain more attraction to their brand. Right now, only KU is a CBB brand worth mentioning, & all of their football brands have underachieved (thus far).

This is a good way to get some good publicity among top youths to go to their branded schools in hopes to swing the pendulum. The problem is, as I’ve highlighted many times, Adidas market growth is based upon one individual, Ye, & he’s not an athlete. Hence, Adidas has become more of a fashion brand vs. athletics. Even their top soccer star, Messi, popularity now pales in comparison to Ronaldo.

They’ve yet to produce a CFP team or Nat’l champion since 2000 (hopefully that’ll be us), & they’ve only produced 2 Nat’l championship b-ball teams since 2000 (w/ 1 being vacated). All the other nat’l championship schools were either Nike or JB brand.

So again, it behooves them to make this transition to try to attract the top kids to their brand.

Still can’t believe Adidas missed on LBJ. Lol. The dude was wearing their gear his entire HS career. Lol. Two baffling misses in their history: MJ & LBJ. We probably wouldn’t even know about Nike had Adidas signed MJ & I’m pretty sure if Adidas signed LBJ they would’ve made up some ground.

Right now, Adidas athletics is struggling. Hence, they threw the bag at the 2021 NBA class top picks, hoping they turn into super stars, & banking on Mahomes to carry their NFL brand. Trae Young nor Donovan Mitchell r moving the needle right now on shoes, while Baby Ball is already paying dividends for Puma, & New Balance is coming on strong w/ revamp collabs + a new fresh roster.

Adidas’ money is coming on the back on Ye & rumor is when Ye’s contract is up in 2026, he may have his own line, in general, where he’s free to collab w/ anyone he wants. He’s already heading that way now.

So from an athletic standpoint, this makes major sense in the American market. Hoping we are the benefactors vs KU/UL/UDub.
Yeh going to colab with Louisville slugger on the Pete Davidson signature line

Advertisement
U know, this is an interesting point. I’m wondering w/ this new revelation, would there be any appeals for those who were convicted of doing this very thing. That’s a cold game if these guys r doing bids for the company that’s about to do the same chit legally.

Right after we release tens of thousands of people from jail who were convicted for smoking weed.

Low key they were already doing this, so it’s smart on their behalf to take full advantage of the loop hole. & Now, it’s game on w/ these AAU camps, and schools. SMH. What we knew of college sports just went to purgatory.
I feel ya! I’m just mad they ain’t had this ish when I was in college! I was scared to take tip money when I worked at 24 hour fitness in the off season lol

This is 95% about basketball. These reps will be at every single AAU practice and games of the top 25 kids. They’re looking for the next great, who will have their own shoe.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is true:

Hopefully Kobe will be back on the Nike squad, and I know Luka will be getting his own signature shoe this yr.

12 Nike/JB schools
1 UA school

CFP:
3 Nike/JB school
1 UA school

In essence, Adidas needs this NIL to gain more attraction to their brand. Right now, only KU is a CBB brand worth mentioning, & all of their football brands have underachieved (thus far).

This is a good way to get some good publicity among top youths to go to their branded schools in hopes to swing the pendulum. The problem is, as I’ve highlighted many times, Adidas market growth is based upon one individual, Ye, & he’s not an athlete. Hence, Adidas has become more of a fashion brand vs. athletics. Even their top soccer star, Messi, popularity now pales in comparison to Ronaldo.

They’ve yet to produce a CFP team or Nat’l champion since 2000 (hopefully that’ll be us), & they’ve only produced 2 Nat’l championship b-ball teams since 2000 (w/ 1 being vacated). All the other nat’l championship schools were either Nike or JB brand.

So again, it behooves them to make this transition to try to attract the top kids to their brand.
I posted before I saw yours saying exactly what I said in much more detail. They gotta make some moves. We’ve been a let down, KU hasn’t won a title in a decade, Louisville has been publicly smeared and stripped of their title. UCLA football sucks, Washington sucks, etc.

You could argue UCLA’s Final Four run last year has been the most success Adidas has had in college sports, in a decade. And they didn’t even have that great of a season up until then. So it wasn’t like they got a full season of sustained and prominent marketing then either.

I posted before I saw yours saying exactly what I said in much more detail. They gotta make some moves. We’ve been a let down, KU hasn’t won a title in a decade, Louisville has been publicly smeared and stripped of their title. UCLA football sucks, Washington sucks, etc.

You could argue UCLA’s Final Four run last year has been the most success Adidas has had in college sports, in a decade. And they didn’t even have that great of a season up until then. So it wasn’t like they got a full season of sustained and prominent marketing then either.

Lol; UCLA haven’t been w/ Adidas for a min. That final 4 run they were in between UA & Jordan. Now they are Jordan Brand. So even when UCLA r emerged as a b-ball program, it was under a different brand.

Lol; UCLA haven’t been w/ Adidas for a min. That final 4 run they were in between UA & Jordan. Now they are Jordan Brand. So even when UCLA r emerged as a b-ball program, it was under a different brand.
I didn’t even notice that. Even more brutal. After they switch they go to the Final
Four lmao

Advertisement
Still can’t believe Adidas missed on LBJ. Lol. The dude was wearing their gear his entire HS career. Lol. Two baffling misses in their history: MJ & LBJ. We probably wouldn’t even know about Nike had Adidas signed MJ & I’m pretty sure if Adidas signed LBJ they would’ve made up some ground.

Right now, Adidas athletics is struggling. Hence, they threw the bag at the 2021 NBA class top picks, hoping they turn into super stars, & banking on Mahomes to carry their NFL brand. Trae Young nor Donovan Mitchell r moving the needle right now on shoes, while Baby Ball is already paying dividends for Puma, & New Balance is coming on strong w/ revamp collabs + a new fresh roster.

Adidas’ money is coming on the back on Ye & rumor is when Ye’s contract is up in 2026, he may have his own line, in general, where he’s free to collab w/ anyone he wants. He’s already heading that way now.

So from an athletic standpoint, this makes major sense in the American market. Hoping we are the benefactors vs KU/UL/UDub.
What LCE is to high school prospects you are to the sneaker brand game.

This is true:

“Hopefully Kobe will be back on the Nike squad”, and I know Luka will be getting his own signature shoe this yr.

12 Nike/JB schools
1 UA school

CFP:
3 Nike/JB school
1 UA school

Just bumping my post for the quoted phrase; I told ya’ll I stay tapped in.

The question I have for Adidas and Nike is this...exactly what is required of the athletes? Will there be any cause for concern if literally they're signing their NIL over to a Nike, getting $750K, and then the company just sits on it. No concern for the athlete, but would that be a cause for the NCAA to step back in at some point in the future and say, "wait a minute, you're handing out money for no seemingly return. What is the return?"

The question I have for Adidas and Nike is this...exactly what is required of the athletes? Will there be any cause for concern if literally they're signing their NIL over to a Nike, getting $750K, and then the company just sits on it. No concern for the athlete, but would that be a cause for the NCAA to step back in at some point in the future and say, "wait a minute, you're handing out money for no seemingly return. What is the return?"
The return seems obvious to me, there is tons of footage and still images of these guys in that brand's gear from live competition. They are getting basically endless potential advertising material. They would have to sort out TV/school stuff with that, but there isn't a shortage of material to point to as possible ROI

Advertisement
Back