Adidas to Start Offering NIL Deals

Advertisement
Bro, if Nike did this I would have the same reaction. I was speaking in gist about how collegiate sports is sliding to the AAU circuit where kids r teaming up & sports apparel companies r “luring” kids to play for said sponsored schools.

It’s all part of the game now, so if it helps us, I ain’t tripping. Adidas dropped the first ball, & I look forward to seeing other major sponsors doing the same thing, not just sports apparels, but like Coca Cola, Pepsi, Gatorade, Powerade, etc.

I was surprised that it took this long.

I think everyone was waiting to see how nil would be implemented, but I always though nil would be good for us when the MAJOR corporations started getting involved.

Bro, if Nike did this I would have the same reaction. I was speaking in gist about how collegiate sports is sliding to the AAU circuit where kids r teaming up & sports apparel companies r “luring” kids to play for said sponsored schools.

It’s all part of the game now, so if it helps us, I ain’t tripping. Adidas dropped the first ball, & I look forward to seeing other major sponsors doing the same thing, not just sports apparels, but like Coca Cola, Pepsi, Gatorade, Powerade, etc.
Everyone is going to be chasing getting the “next Lebron” young. Good for kids getting money I guess.

Might not necessarily an apples to apples type of competition IF Nike follows suit. Adidas has shown an interest in going head to head with Nike in CFB on targeted fronts.

So while Nike is about 3 size the company that Adidas is and can dominate the overall landscape (if they choose) it might actually be better for us to be a "darlin'" school of Adidas. I'd rather be one of if not THE top Adidas school in the future on this front than to mayyyybe be in the top 10 of Nike's client schools.
I can see where that would be an advantage, but I am not sure I am ready to assume that either 1) Adidas is going to pay darlings as opposed to a standard rate across schools, B) if Adidas does do number 1, nike won't do the same.

The shoe companies, unlike Dimsdale Dimmadome Chrysler and Daihatsu who is throwing money at a collective, has a much more substantial stake in this. Success on the field = national exposure for the brand on TV by nature of appearance for something that can be consumed nationally. Until these kids start thanking their sponsors in the post game interviews, I am not getting exposed to the smaller and more localized contributors to these NIL deals, and even if I am, I am not buying a car from another state because I saw a kid mention it in an interview.

That in mind, I fully expect Nike to not just match, but exceed what Adidas offers because there is true financial gain for gear sponsors on the line and they are a much wealthier company. If I am a youth, I might care what brand the team that is winning all the national titles for the last 20 years is wearing, because I can get that at my local mall. By either brand failing to match the other they risk losing players over time at their sponsored schools, which risks losing exposure if they win less games, and influence, and sales.

Please don't talk about Oregon like they're still a thing.
We know MONEY talks.. Oregon is essentially NIKE U.. Read the tea leaves and we know where this slippery slope leads to.. They have gotten a taste of what Mario can do with recruiting top talent to Eugene and from reports they are hooked and want to keep it rolling.. We will see how it plays out but its not out of the realm of them just saying million dollars for 5 stars or something crazy.. That would be chump changes, they make that on release of some wack dunks, not even the hot ones

Advertisement
We know MONEY talks.. Oregon is essentially NIKE U.. Read the tea leaves and we know where this slippery slope leads to.. They have gotten a taste of what Mario can do with recruiting top talent to Eugene and from reports they are hooked and want to keep it rolling.. We will see how it plays out but its not out of the realm of them just saying million dollars for 5 stars or something crazy.. That would be chump changes, they make that on release of some wack dunks, not even the hot ones
I was being a little hyperbolic/facetious about Oregon but only a little. That conference is USC's for the taking and keeping. If Nike and all the associated advantages couldn't get them across the threshold in the last 20+ years I don't think this changes now- especially with Phil Knight now in his mid 80's.

Everyone is going to be chasing getting the “next Lebron” young. Good for kids getting money I guess.

Still can’t believe Adidas missed on LBJ. Lol. The dude was wearing their gear his entire HS career. Lol. Two baffling misses in their history: MJ & LBJ. We probably wouldn’t even know about Nike had Adidas signed MJ & I’m pretty sure if Adidas signed LBJ they would’ve made up some ground.

Right now, Adidas athletics is struggling. Hence, they threw the bag at the 2021 NBA class top picks, hoping they turn into super stars, & banking on Mahomes to carry their NFL brand. Trae Young nor Donovan Mitchell r moving the needle right now on shoes, while Baby Ball is already paying dividends for Puma, & New Balance is coming on strong w/ revamp collabs + a new fresh roster.

Adidas’ money is coming on the back on Ye & rumor is when Ye’s contract is up in 2026, he may have his own line, in general, where he’s free to collab w/ anyone he wants. He’s already heading that way now.

So from an athletic standpoint, this makes major sense in the American market. Hoping we are the benefactors vs KU/UL/UDub.

Last edited:
The benefit to UM is that Adidas has much fewer schools under contract than Nike. That SHOULD make it easier to get larger NIL payouts since the pie is much smaller. Im guessing Nike goes big on the elite guys but will be a stretched a little thin with the remaining group.
in other words probably not that big of a benefit. i am sure nike deals will be competitive if not better than adidas.

I was being a little hyperbolic/facetious about Oregon but only a little. That conference is USC's for the taking and keeping. If Nike and all the associated advantages couldn't get them across the threshold in the last 20+ years I don't think this changes now- especially with Phil Knight now in his mid 80's.

Playing Devil’s Advocate, I would argue Phil & the board turning UO into UNike has paid off great dividends. Have they won any Nat’l titles? No; but let’s be honest, there’s 127-130 FBS teams in a given season, w/ only 1 team winning the Nat’l title. Yet, they’ve gotten caliber of recruits that they’ve never had before, have played in two Nat’l Championship games in recent years, along w/ multiple NY6 bowl appearances/wins.

There was an article from an outlet mentioning the importance of relevance vs. the importance of winning it all. The CFP has changed the perception of what it means to have a successful football season. Imo, UO has been wildly successful despite not being a blue blood school. I also think Lanning has the ability to be the defensive version of Riley; a young guy who’s a shark of a recruiter that comes from a solid coaching tree.

If anything, I say Texas A&M have been the poster child of underachieving; all that $$ thrown w/ zero conference or division titles, w/ one 10+ win season in 23 yrs.

Advertisement
U know, this is an interesting point. I’m wondering w/ this new revelation, would there be any appeals for those who were convicted of doing this very thing. That’s a cold game if these guys r doing bids for the company that’s about to do the same chit legally.
Short answer, No. There was never any specific law against paying a kid to go play basketball at _____________. From what I remember, the convictions were for conspiracy to commit wire fraud - which remains illegal.

Short answer, No. There was never any specific law against paying a kid to go play basketball at _____________. From what I remember, the convictions were for conspiracy to commit wire fraud - which remains illegal.

Ahhhh; yeah u’re right. It was the wire fraud chit. Totally forgot about that key component, which is y the Feds got involved.

Advertisement
U know, this is an interesting point. I’m wondering w/ this new revelation, would there be any appeals for those who were convicted of doing this very thing. That’s a cold game if these guys r doing bids for the company that’s about to do the same chit legally.
Nah - those guys were sentenced after NIL became legal.

This article with a snippet of a podcast that they did with one of the guys who went to jail covers a bit of it. The full podcast is worth a listen as well.

As he puts it in the article:

"So no law has-- no law has changed. But I'm going to prison, and what we did is now legal, so to speak. But there's been no law to change anything. So how was it then illegal in the first place?"

Somewhat related, they talked about the NCAA Tournament on the most recent podcast and were praising Miami noting how we got screwed by having our name brought up in this mess even though we weren't even involved which royally screwed up our recruiting.

Advertisement
Nike and their schools have had the best free advertisement since the playoffs began.
I’m sure they want to keep it that way. I don’t see a world where Nike sees what adidas just did and doesn’t laughs at that 50k.
Adidas has continually dropped the ball with the best athletes cause they’ve had no vision or desire to step up the way Nike has since MJ.

When Nike entered soccer they pulled the best players at that time by outbidding adidas and the other brands and launched a massive campaign into the sport.
When they got into golf they went straight for tiger.

This is why many on here never liked the adidas move regardless of the money. As they say “money isn’t everything” and it totally applied to us and adidas imo.

I hope Mario and Rad have a direct line to adidas and made them understand what Nike was doing and will do from a financial, recruiting and NIL, standpoint at Bama Oregon and Clemson.

Nike and their schools have had the best free advertisement since the playoffs began.
I’m sure they want to keep it that way. I don’t see a world where Nike sees what adidas just did and doesn’t laughs at that 50k.
Adidas has continually dropped the ball with the best athletes cause they’ve had no vision or desire to step up the way Nike has since MJ.

When Nike entered soccer they pulled the best players at that time by outbidding adidas and the other brands and launched a massive campaign into the sport.
When they got into golf they went straight for tiger.

This is why many on here never liked the adidas move regardless of the money. As they say “money isn’t everything” and it totally applied to us and adidas imo.

I hope Mario and Rad have a direct line to adidas and made them understand what Nike was doing and will do from a financial, recruiting and NIL, standpoint at Bama Oregon and Clemson.
It's 50,000 potential athletes not a $50k payout. Although the total number of potential athletes on this front for either company is probably an almost irrelevant factor.

Possibly since NIL is basically law, albeit case law and not statutory law (made by courts and not congress).
Even when the case was being prosecuted I kept asking one simple question. Who were the victims when shoe companies gave money to families? Because if there are no victims why in the world would the activity be a crime? And who were we protecting with the dumb laws? The families so that they would not be enticed by thousands of dollars from companies making billions? We protected no one, we took money away from families that needed it, and we threw middlemen under the bus.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Guys doing serious time for Marijuana convictions in states where it is essentially completely legal now would probably want to jump the line in appeals on this front but the overall larger point absolutely still stands.
Hopefully this is addressed soon with the marijuana legalization bills that are in congress. Some bills include provisions for clearing out convictions and freeing people.

Advertisement
Back