Addressing Our DT Problem

Cane4life18

Senior
I think enough has been documented on how atrocious our DT recruiting has been this year so this post is meant to be more of a solutions based post.

Step 1: Retain Our Best
Our biggest DT recruits this year aren't in high school right now they're on our roster. That would be #56(LT) and #81(JHH). Recruit them back for another season. Keeping those two would automatically put us in position to have a dominate and ultra productive line. Two senior vets that have been through the ringer of CFB is always a net positive. DT is a grown man position and having two grown men at the position only benefits us as a team.

Step 2: Go Out and Get a Freak
Next, I'm going out to the state of Texas and bringing home the freak of nature called Shemar Stewart. I know some of you are going to say F him, Let him rot in Aggieland, etc. Shemar has the potential to be a true difference maker with his size-speed combo. I also bring up Shemar because we need to be realistic with our expectations. We have a better chance at landing a Shemar than a random DT from oos that really doesn't have an incentive to be here. Shemar also has 2 years of eligibility remaining after this year.

Step 3: Solidfy Depth
I'd go out into the portal or Juco ranks and try to land a player with at least 2 years of eligibility left, thus helping us for the 24' and 25' season. This would give us 8 at DT for spring.

Step 4: Remain Flexible
Keep a spot open for a 9th spot as injuries may occur in spring or a big time surprise happens where the opportunity to land a quality piece presents itself. But I'd only take players with at least 2years of eligibility. This helps in terms of the 25' season.

This plan gives us 8 deep with the potential to add a 9th. we'd be mostly set for the 2024 season. We'd also add 3 potential pieces for the 25' season.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Putting LT/JHH aside, we'll lose Deen, Gore, Licht.

We'll have next year:

Moten
Cambpell
Acheampong
Horton
Burroughs
Jones (FR)

Would be great to convince 1 of 2 of JHH/LT to really solidify. It will be interesting to see how we use the portal b/c our depth is really hinging on the development of Collins/Campbell (2 huge dudes) and Horton.

We'll have next year:

Moten
Cambpell
Acheampong
Horton
Burroughs
Jones (FR)

Would be great to convince 1 of 2 of JHH/LT to really solidify. It will be interesting to see how we use the portal b/c our depth is really hinging on the development of Collins/Campbell (2 huge dudes) and Horton.

Acheampong is a wild card here, though. Depends on how his body develops as to if he stays outside as a jumbo edge (where his skill set out of HS indicates), or if he bulks up enough to be a massive pass rushing DT inside. At his height/length, he could be more Calais Campbell-type and stay outside than anything...but we will see.

I think the portal is going to be worked regardless. If we see LT/JHH jump to the league, I think heavy on the portal is going to be the way we go. Remember we had no idea this time last year that guys like Gore/Deen would even be options for our roster this year, and they've been a big help. That or some JUCO names we don't know yet...in the advent of the Portal, JUCO kind of gets forgotten, but that could help us with instant impact too.

And here's hoping maybe our HS DT recruiting perks back up with some success down the stretch the rest of the season.

Advertisement
We need 3-4 guys that can play good ball. Snap counts for this year:
JHH 229
LT 207
Deen 111
Gore 71
Moten 70
Licht 52
Horton 21
Campbell 7

JHH returning would be a BIG win. Burroughs plus Collins/Campbell/Moten/Horton gets us 6 that should be "good" with Bain & Mesidor being able to play 3T as well. Jones & Russell replace Horton/Campbell snap counts and you always take any elite DT that wants on-board.

We have a DE problem imo

We've gotten nothing from projected starters Kelly and Mesidor.

Harvey, Chantz, Moss, Wayne, Achempong have contributed little.

3-3-5 defense makes sense for us and I hope Guidry sticks to it.

Advertisement
We have a DE problem imo

I believe this gets resolved in with 2024.

Lightfoot, Kelly, Rudloph, Booker, and Washington may get to 230-240lb. Moss is the big miss IMO and needs to transfer if he isn't going to get serious about his food intake.

Acheampong is a wild card here, though. Depends on how his body develops as to if he stays outside as a jumbo edge (where his skill set out of HS indicates), or if he bulks up enough to be a massive pass rushing DT inside. At his height/length, he could be more Calais Campbell-type and stay outside than anything...but we will see.

I think the portal is going to be worked regardless. If we see LT/JHH jump to the league, I think heavy on the portal is going to be the way we go. Remember we had no idea this time last year that guys like Gore/Deen would even be options for our roster this year, and they've been a big help. That or some JUCO names we don't know yet...in the advent of the Portal, JUCO kind of gets forgotten, but that could help us with instant impact too.

And here's hoping maybe our HS DT recruiting perks back up with some success down the stretch the rest of the season.

Dude looked huge Saturday night in pads

Advertisement

We'll have next year:

Moten
Cambpell
Acheampong
Horton
Burroughs
Jones (FR)

Make Francis Mauigoa plays both ways and make James Williams add 125 pounds and bump down to DT….. problem solved

We have a DE problem imo

DE problem this year in terms of capable bodies yes, but in 2024 you could have Bain, Mesidor, Kelly, Wayne at DE. That's strrrongg.

Colins A is going to be a DT IMO.

I could see a 6'7 290 ish type.

Make Francis Mauigoa plays both ways and make James Williams add 125 pounds and bump down to DT….. problem solved

Advertisement
I’m not trying to say our DT recruiting hasn’t been a major disappointment

But people should also go watch Jones tape

That dude is a ******* freak

We'll have next year:

Moten
Cambpell
Acheampong
Horton
Burroughs
Jones (FR)

Brutal

Advertisement
Back