Addressing Our DT Problem

Correct. Without Mesidor, the DE room is all potential and very little production thus far. Gonna have to leave Bain out there until further notice.
Very little production? Harvey and Chantz have both produced at the P5 level. Both are serviceable and provide great depth.

Advertisement
We need to keep on winning. Win and we'll be in a better standing with these DT recruits as long as we come correct with the financial commitment.
For sure. I’ll be curious to see how the early portal works out

The situation with Malone last year in the later portal was pretty good evidence why we don’t want to play that game

Portal is too ****ed up to just assume we can do much unless we finish strong

I will say, and trust me I’m putting heavy heavy air quotes on “production” but seeing guys like Gore or Lichtenstein giving a few quality snaps here and there, I think Guidry should be able to show guys he can have them playing at a higher level and get developed

I'm not counting Moss out just yet. Kid had good tape coming out of Bishop Gorman. Talent is there, the requiste weight needed to play at the P5 level isn't. He needs to keep trying to add weight.

At this point, he would need his metabolism to slow down a bunch and his intake to increase a bunch. He looks to be 210 and needs 40 pounds. It is possible that it happens but I wouldn’t count on it.

At this point, he would need his metabolism to slow down a bunch and his intake to increase a bunch. He looks to be 210 and needs 40 pounds. It is possible that it happens but I wouldn’t count on it.
He's very similar to John Square who was here years ago. It's sad that getting to a sustainable and playable playing weight is still in doubt heading into 2024. Hoping for the best.

Advertisement
I dont think we need both Harvey and Chantz here on a 6th year. Choose one. They are taking valuable snaps away from Lightfoot and Rudolph who we will absolutely need in 2025. So we need them to have some exp.

As far as the DT question..not setting myself up for failure thinking LT stays. Hes one more dominant performance away from basically being a first round lock especially if he does it against FSU. And I think he will do it too. I actually see him sitting out the bowl game. Thats how sure I am. I would love to be wrong.

So the question is..can we convince JHH? I would roll with Burroughs/JHH combo any day of the week. A front 4 starting unit of Bain/Burroughs/JHH/Messidor with Kelly, Moten, Harvey off bench? Thats ACC title level unit right there. Fingers crossed.

Everyone on that list has another year of eligibility other than Deen and Lichtenstein.

I dont think we need both Harvey and Chantz here on a 6th year. Choose one. They are taking valuable snaps away from Lightfoot and Rudolph who we will absolutely need in 2025. So we need them to have some exp.

As far as the DT question..not setting myself up for failure thinking LT stays. Hes one more dominant performance away from basically being a first round lock especially if he does it against FSU. And I think he will do it too. I actually see him sitting out the bowl game. Thats how sure I am. I would love to be wrong.

So the question is..can we convince JHH? I would roll with Burroughs/JHH combo any day of the week. A front 4 starting unit of Bain/Burroughs/JHH/Messidor with Kelly, Moten, Harvey off bench? Thats ACC title level unit right there. Fingers crossed.
So you don't want two veteran good character players that accept their role as role players and provide leadership? Harvey has played over 800 snaps of CFB and Chantz has to have 300+ snaps of CFB under his belt. You don't want that?

You need at least 7 DEs and 7 DTs to last a full CFB season. Injuries happen and can happen quick. Look at this year, both of our starting DEs are out.

LT needs more than one performance to be a lock for 1st round. When scouts dive into his tape they'll see a player who's takes plays, series and even games off.

Advertisement
So you don't want two veteran good character players that accept their role as role players and provide leadership? Harvey has played over 800 snaps of CFB and Chantz has to have 300+ snaps of CFB under his belt. You don't want that?

You need at least 7 DEs and 7 DTs to last a full CFB season. Injuries happen and can happen quick. Look at this year, both of our starting DEs are out.

LT needs more than one performance to be a lock for 1st round. When scouts dive into his tape they'll see a player who's takes plays, series and even games off.
Look, I just know that 2025 is going to be a dire year for us at DE and we need these young TF to get some burn next year. Depending on 6th year guys across the board is why FSU is going to be in big trouble next year on offense. At some point, have to do whats best for the long term success. I dont want to follow that recipe and think it wont hurt us in the long run.

LT has been on most first round boards. So I dont think he needs to go on a crazy run to solidify that. Especially when most scouts will give him the benefit of the doubt that he has been playing out of position most of the year and still playing well. Would have loved to see what he could have been if he had played next to a Kendrick Norton type.

I think enough has been documented on how atrocious our DT recruiting has been this year so this post is meant to be more of a solutions based post.

Step 1: Retain Our Best
Our biggest DT recruits this year isn't in high school right now they're on our roster. That would be #56(LT) and #81(JHH). Recruit them back for another season. Keeping those two would automatically put us in position to have a dominate and ultra productive line. Two senior vets that have been through the ringer of CFB is always a net positive. DT is a grown man position and having two grown men at the position only benefits us as a team.
Totally agree! I mean, if LT were guaranteed 1st round status, I get him bouncing, but unless he plays all the rest of the games like the last one, I think he'll be better served to collect a big NIL check and improve his draft status.

Anyone know whether or not LT is leaning towards staying or going next year?

Totally agree! I mean, if LT were guaranteed 1st round status, I get him bouncing, but unless he plays all the rest of the games like the last one, I think he'll be better served to collect a big NIL check and improve his draft status.

Anyone know whether or not LT is leaning towards staying or going next year?
Too early to tell. We'll need to wait until he gets his projected draft grade from the draft advisory board. If it says day 2 or later, Mario needs to press to get LT back. We'll know in early December what his plans are.

I think JHH is a easier sell on coming back as long as we come correct with our NIL deal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back