ACCT Game 1 vs Notre Dame

Typical “give up” post by cis members. Happens all year long during football and basketball seasons. Confirms that too many Cane fans have no clue when watching or listening to a game. Pitiful.

To be fair its warranted these past two baseball seasons. It actually confirms they've been watching. The first 7 innings of tonights game are more a reflection of this team than the 5 run 8th.

Advertisement
To be fair its warranted these past two baseball seasons. It actually confirms they've been watching. The first 7 innings of tonights game are more a reflection of this team than the 5 run 8th.

I agree, and at least Number 1 CF admitted he was happy to eat crow. And honestly, how many of us weren't thinking the same thing at the end of the seventh?

I agree, and at least Number 1 CF admitted he was happy to eat crow. And honestly, how many of us weren't thinking the same thing at the end of the seventh?

I thought we were going to win the entire night...until the 7th. That's when some doubt started to creep in. You can see they just needed to get that leadoff man on and get one more baserunner to open things up. That's exactly what happened in the 8th.

Stressful game and the ND kid deserves a lot of credit for pitching his guts out, but Cabezas deserved that game.

That's what I'm saying. It's understandable to be frustrated and seemingly having given up on the season, I mean we'll need a miracle this week or it's over. But at least us real fans can do that and then be happy when we're wrong. Although I agree there are some here that would rather be right then have Miami win. Let's see what happens though. Being in NC I'm thankful the tourney has always been in Durham and Greensboro. I've been to every one up here since it came back in 2009 or 10, but this new pool play is a joke. Making the top seed only have to win 1 game is a huge disadvantage. Need ND to drag Clemson to extras. I know they won't throw the top guys but force them to use multiple guys.

Advertisement
That's what I'm saying. It's understandable to be frustrated and seemingly having given up on the season, I mean we'll need a miracle this week or it's over. But at least us real fans can do that and then be happy when we're wrong. Although I agree there are some here that would rather be right then have Miami win. Let's see what happens though. Being in NC I'm thankful the tourney has always been in Durham and Greensboro. I've been to every one up here since it came back in 2009 or 10, but this new pool play is a joke. Making the top seed only have to win 1 game is a huge disadvantage. Need ND to drag Clemson to extras. I know they won't throw the top guys but force them to use multiple guys.

That would be nice; and having them play back to back days can't hurt either.

And then nice to see Morris' decisiveness paying off w a one pitch eighth inning for Frankie. He should be fine for Thursday after that.
Yep. Also a little less stress on Cabezas’ arm if we can get to Sunday and start him again. Morris pushed the right buttons in both the top and bottom of the 8th tonight.

Should also note that we will finish no worse than two games above .500, which seemed like a fantasy after the 2nd game in Tallahassee,

It always feels good to beat the Domers in anything. Hitting approach still leaves much to be desired, but a nice job to feast on ND's pen.

Advertisement
That would be nice; and having them play back to back days can't hurt either.

Our day off works in their favor IMO. Would’ve been nice to ride that 5 run 8th into tomorrow. Haven’t found an offensive rhythm all year and I think playing tomorrow would’ve helped us.

This abomination is an indictment on DiMare. No matter the outcome it’s been embarrassing. This is lack of s game plan. Everybody is pulling off of everything swinging at bad pitches and guessing, letting fastballs go by. At some point you’d like for some one to step up but unfortunately this team doesn’t have a Collins Aubrey or a Hayward to do that. Third time through the order and no adjustments have been made.
I completely agree. I've been saying it all year. WTF does DiMare even do as a hitting coach? I see the same bad approaches that you do. A good coach would have eliminated these issues this late in the season. The players look like they don't get hitting instruction. I've watched every televised game. I know each hitter's strengths and weaknesses. For example, Burns and Escala would be 300 hitters if they would stop swinging at pitches above their belt and stop trying to pull outside pitches. Just hit the dsmn ball to right field especially when you have 2 strikes. 90% of the time your going to get an outside pitch with 2 strikes. Both are guess hitters which I don't like. Can't understand why these little guys keep swinging at pitches they can't do anything with. Even if they make solid contact on a high fastball (which they don't), they don't have the power to do anything with it. It's either a whiff or a weak popup. Makes no **** since. If I can see that, why can't DiMare?

The worst par is....and I've said this before in other posts, DiMare is going to survive as a head coach because these young players are talented. They will get to Omaha in 2019 or 2020. They will do so inspite of DiMare not because of him!!! He adds zero value as a hitting coach. I could do 10x better and I'm not even joking. I played D-1 baseball and was taught well by my high school coach who played pro ball.

Hopefully DiMare hires a good hitting coach. I'll let him know I'm available.😉

Check out my other posts where I talk about hitting, bunting, etc.

I completely agree. I've been saying it all year. WTF does DiMare even do as a hitting coach? I see the same bad approaches that you do. A good coach would have eliminated these issues this late in the season. The players look like they don't get hitting instruction. I've watched every televised game. I know each hitter's strengths and weaknesses. For example, Burns and Escala would be 300 hitters if they would stop swinging at pitches above their belt and stop trying to pull outside pitches. Just hit the dsmn ball to right field especially when you have 2 strikes. 90% of the time your going to get an outside pitch with 2 strikes. Both are guess hitters which I don't like. Can't understand why these little guys keep swinging at pitches they can't do anything with. Even if they make solid contact on a high fastball (which they don't), they don't have the power to do anything with it. It's either a whiff or a weak popup. Makes no **** since. If I can see that, why can't DiMare?

The worst par is....and I've said this before in other posts, DiMare is going to survive as a head coach because these young players are talented. They will get to Omaha in 2019 or 2020. They will do so inspite of DiMare not because of him!!! He adds zero value as a hitting coach. I could do 10x better and I'm not even joking. I played D-1 baseball and was taught well by my high school coach who played pro ball.

Hopefully DiMare hires a good hitting coach. I'll let him know I'm available.😉

Check out my other posts where I talk about hitting, bunting, etc.

I’ve been giving hitting lessons since I was in high school and one thing I know is that teaching talented college kids isn’t difficult. Half the battle with them is all configured around their approach. That seems to be DiMare’s weakness. It’s been evident for years, even with uber talented guys like Collins and Abreu. Pitch selection and approach is what always seemed to kill the best Miami teams the last decade. They were always seceptable to getting shut down far more often then other top teams. As we’ve all seen in every postseason. I was really interested to see these past two years how he worked with the younger guys and the juco transfers without the studs that left two years ago who were bringing back the gorilla ball of the early 2000s. And I’ve been underwhelmed to say the least. Without all that raw talent it’s been evident he’s lost or doesn’t care and the results have shown it.

This is how we finished the season on offense (taken from the NCAA site ) This isn't an anomaly, either. Nearly every season since DiMare's return looks similar to this, with a lot of high 100s and 200s. I'm not saying it's realistic to be #1 in all categories, but I don't think being in the top 20% (60-ish range or better) is too much to ask. (For comparison, UF this year ranks 14/24 in runs/runs per, 3/6 in HR/HR per, 11 slg). Our pitching stats are decent, but to no surprise, fielding % is ranked 242.

I know these are just counting stats, but when you don't get on base and also don't hit for power, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the advanced stats are also not going to be in your favor. I pray that DiMare is a better CEO-type manager than he is a hitting coach, and that he hires someone who can help these kids.

Category Rank
Batting Average (300 ranked) 215
Scoring (300 ranked) 221
Runs (300 ranked) 214
Hits (300 ranked) 200
Doubles Per Game (300 ranked) 181
Doubles (300 ranked) 172
Triples Per Game (300 ranked) 76
Triples (300 ranked) 72
Home Runs Per Game (300 ranked) 240
Home Runs (300 ranked) 231
Slugging Percentage (300 ranked) 233
Stolen Bases Per Game (300 ranked) 54
Stolen Bases (300 ranked) 59
Base on Balls (300 ranked) 104
Sacrifice Bunts (300 ranked) 185
Hit by Pitch (300 ranked) 132
Sacrifice Flies (300 ranked) 209

Advertisement
This is how we finished the season on offense (taken from the NCAA site ) This isn't an anomaly, either. Nearly every season since DiMare's return looks similar to this, with a lot of high 100s and 200s. I'm not saying it's realistic to be #1 in all categories, but I don't think being in the top 20% (60-ish range or better) is too much to ask. (For comparison, UF this year ranks 14/24 in runs/runs per, 3/6 in HR/HR per, 11 slg). Our pitching stats are decent, but to no surprise, fielding % is ranked 242.

I know these are just counting stats, but when you don't get on base and also don't hit for power, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the advanced stats are also not going to be in your favor. I pray that DiMare is a better CEO-type manager than he is a hitting coach, and that he hires someone who can help these kids.

Category Rank
Batting Average (300 ranked) 215
Scoring (300 ranked) 221
Runs (300 ranked) 214
Hits (300 ranked) 200
Doubles Per Game (300 ranked) 181
Doubles (300 ranked) 172
Triples Per Game (300 ranked) 76
Triples (300 ranked) 72
Home Runs Per Game (300 ranked) 240
Home Runs (300 ranked) 231
Slugging Percentage (300 ranked) 233
Stolen Bases Per Game (300 ranked) 54
Stolen Bases (300 ranked) 59
Base on Balls (300 ranked) 104
Sacrifice Bunts (300 ranked) 185
Hit by Pitch (300 ranked) 132
Sacrifice Flies (300 ranked) 209
Far cry from when Turtle Thomas was our hitting coach...

Can't say enough good things about our pitching staff. Now, who should we go with tomorrow? McKendry shut them down while Bargfeldt got touched up for 6 ER earlier this season. I don't really know the answer. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
Can't say enough good things about our pitching staff. Now, who should we go with tomorrow? McKendry shut them down while Bargfeldt got touched up for 6 ER earlier this season. I don't really know the answer. Any thoughts?

I hope he goes w the match-up that worked well in the past (McKendry), and Jeb pitched very well against FSU in the 2 - 0 loss in Tallahassee (and NC St has several left handed hitters if it's them). Starters seem to have more confidence and trust their stuff better when they've had prior success against certain lineups.

Our day off works in their favor IMO. Would’ve been nice to ride that 5 run 8th into tomorrow. Haven’t found an offensive rhythm all year and I think playing tomorrow would’ve helped us.

You might be right; just seems we fare better against most teams pens vs their starters, and maybe ND will stretch them a little.

I hope he goes w the match-up that worked well in the past (McKendry), and Jeb pitched very well against FSU in the 2 - 0 loss in Tallahassee (and NC St has several left handed hitters if it's them). Starters seem to have more confidence and trust their stuff better when they've had prior success against certain lineups.

As soon as they called the game

Was thinking the same thing when I realized he threw last Friday. You gotta go Evan tomorrow. Plenty

You gotta go Evan tomorrow. I know Jeb has been the most consistent all year but matchups matter. Evan also knows what works against Clemson and Jeb doesn’t. It’s a whole lot easier to prepare for a game knowing what works, than going in only knowing what doesn’t.

And recruiting coordinator.

Listen, you and I agree on the horror show that Morris and DiMare have put on the past few years, (the most recent CWS appearance being the outlier and happy exception).

But Turtle ended up being bad news and dug his own grave as well.

That being said, he made some great contributions to UM baseball until he went bat sh*t crazy.

Advertisement
Back