According to CS

Randy Shannon to UF ag

Don't shoot the messenger...not official yet

Why is that bad?? Awful recruiter

View attachment 28501

He help recruit the 01'squad. GTFO.

LOL, no he didn't. He was an assistant for the Dolphins from 98 to 01.

Randy Shannon was a very average recruiter as a HC. He had his great class in '08 like almost all first year head coaches at major programs, but then it tailed off. Still brought in some good players (Vernon and Miller), but that's nothing special at Miami. Just about any coach here will bring in some good players. Shannon did nothing above the norm. And a lot of his "hidden gems" were terrible players.

His recruiting fell of every year after '08. And a lot of people for some reason don't remember this, but he ****ed off a lot of the local coaches. They turned on him when he hired Ice Harris and the guy from Edison, Corey Bell, because they all felt like they should have gotten a shot (that speaks more to the immaturity of the local putz high school coaches than it does to Shannon, though). By the end of his tenure, local coaches were claiming that he was ignoring their schools and what not. It was a **** show and a disaster. But now Shannon is getting this reputation as an ace recruiter? lol.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/776848-golden-age-of-football-coming-to-university-of-miami (lol @ the article title, but the relevant quotes are below):

“You want to talk about a night-and-day difference,” said Miami Columbus coach Chris Merritt. “There’s a lot more communication and texts now. Miami didn’t recruit any of our kids under Shannon.”

“We see them more. This staff shows [its] face at your school even if you don’t have a great prospect,” said Hialeah coach Marc Berman, intending no criticism of Shannon.

Central coach Telly Lockett, who said Shannon ignored his program, noted this UM staff “is taking care of their backyard more. I talk to coach Golden a lot.”

“More UM coaches are involved in recruiting now. Different coaches call the players. That keeps it fresh,” said Norland coach Daryle Heidelberg.

But perhaps most telling is this: Miami Belen coach Richard Stuart claimed he had more contact with Golden in four months than in four years with Shannon.

Advertisement
Lol at the notion that randy "helped recruit" the 2001 class. The guy was an average recruiter. What the poster above me said - he was vilified in the local community for shunning certain schools/areas. It was turning into a disaster. And when he was DC and recruiting, he would rarely recruit outside of sofla. Some serious revisionist history going on here

He's a real **** if he takes that job. FSU and UF are no goes for canes. This sum bull****.

Hire Butch and bring him and Lamar home.

Hire Butch & then offer him the DC job. He'd leave those ****ers in Gainesville in 2 seconds.

noooooo

randy shannon as DC, i'll pass man. Great recruiter but I think his defensive scheme is p*ss poor easy to read.

Ohio State game to this day still runs clear through my brain.. spread 5 wide, qb right up the middle.. seemingly every freaking play

ummm no.

not even bro.

We controlled them where it counts and thats in the redzone. We also dropped four picks.

A running qb will find holes in any defense.

If you didnt like anything about randys team it should have been Mark whipple. The worst oc in cfb.

I actually enjoyed the fact that Shannon's teams were high in pot most of the time and played like they were sleepwalking. he was the best.

I think that if Butch came back he'd hire Randy for the propaganda value alone. Davis knows that there's some fence mending that needs to be done. Keeping RS as a DC might help, but what's his value as a DC?

I think that if Butch came back he'd hire Randy for the propaganda value alone. Davis knows that there's some fence mending that needs to be done. Keeping RS as a DC might help, but what's his value as a DC?

EXPONENTIAL...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back