ACC Tournament

Who is going to take it from us? Theres no one who’s outside the top 8 who will jump up several spots. Lou dropping out was predictable and saved us. 2 ACC teams will be Super seeds, but the next 2 teams overall in the pecking order (Lou and ND) are not going to leapfrog us.

The next closest possible team to jump us and the 8 would be Texas, who hasn’t been in the national seed discussion since the start of the season.

That being said, we need a win today because we need a win today.
Well they moved miami down 2 spots to 7 after the first loss. U don't think ND could jump us if they were to win the ACCT? Or what about Texas if they won their tourney?

Advertisement
All of those scenarios ^ are VERY LIKELY
Which is why I said 3 weeks ago that a 3-3 against FSU and ND, not winning the regular season title, and losing our pool in the tourney wouldn’t get us a top 8. We got lucky that everybody else around us was bad down the home stretch too. But unfortunately they’ve outplayed us so far in their tourneys.

We could also use a ND loss to UVA right now.

Well they moved miami down 2 spots to 7 after the first loss. U don't think ND could jump us if they were to win the ACCT? Or what about Texas if they won their tourney?
As we learned in 2017 and 2019, when you leave things in other teams hands things can go sideways. That’s why I stick with my post from last night: Let’s get one more win and take the chances down to zero.

No, I don’t think any of those are likely or would all happen or would mean we are going to drop another 2 spots.

We beat ND in the last series of the year. Winning the tourney will not override that.

Advertisement
Since winning the series against ND, I have been saying that there is no way we drop below 8 national seed.

Everyone and their mother knows today's game means nothing for either team. Even with a loss, we should not fall below 8.

But the hate is real for Miami, and that would be the only scenario where we fall out of the top 8.

And notre dame is heading for another win against UVA....this meaningless game for miami is really feeling like a lot more than that as these other teams keep winning

Advertisement
And notre dame is heading for another win against UVA....this meaningless game for miami is really feeling like a lot more than that as these other teams keep winning
Just to be clear, you believe that if ND wins the ACC tourney, after finishing 4th in the conference, and while not playing Miami or Louisville in the tourney, they will jump them both for a national seed?

Just to be clear, you believe that if ND wins the ACC tourney, after finishing 4th in the conference, and while not playing Miami or Louisville in the tourney, they will jump them both for a national seed
Like I said before, I don't follow it close enough to know how the committee thinks or judges it but if miami loses today and ND wins the ACCT they could jump miami in RPI couldn't they? and their overall record will be better as well. I just don't want to leave anything to chance. Moving miami down 2 spots in the top 8 rankings after the first loss surprised me...not saying ND would be the one to jump in but it wouldn't shock me if two other teams finish strong that they may push miami out...obviously that's just one sites projection.

Also that projection had ND at the 9th overall seed. Right outside the top 8

Last edited:
Like I said before, I don't follow it close enough to know how the committee thinks or judges it but if miami loses today and ND wins the ACCT they could jump miami in RPI couldn't they? and their overall record will be better as well. I just don't want to leave anything to chance. Moving miami down 2 spots after the first lose surprised me...not saying ND would be the one to jump in but it wouldn't shock me if two other teams finish strong that they may push miami out...obviously that's just one sites projection.
RPI is the only way they would be better, which is not nothing. Our SOS is more than twice as good as theirs, we beat them head to head 2-1 LAST WEEK, and finished higher in the league. We actually had the most wins in the league, but finished third because of absurdity with VT and the stupid divisions.

It would take an extraordinary ***** job for ND to vault Miami AND the school they finished below in their division over a tournament.

RPI is the only way they would be better, which is not nothing. Our SOS is more than twice as good as theirs, we beat them head to head 2-1 LAST WEEK, and finished higher in the league. We actually had the most wins in the league, but finished third because of absurdity with VT and the stupid divisions.

It would take an extraordinary ***** job for ND to vault Miami AND the school they finished below in their division over a tournament.
I gotcha. That projection had Notre Dame as the 9th overall seed so that's why I was focusing on them. According to D1 baseball they are the first spot right outside the top 8

Advertisement
I gotcha. That projection had Notre Dame as the 9th overall seed so that's why I was focusing on them. According to D1 baseball they are the first spot right outside the top 8
Yeah I see that, and it’s just me but it makes no sense. The committee doesn’t overvalue the tourneys (if anything, they under), and if Lou ended the season as an 8 seed I don’t see how ND winning a few games in the tourney should change that ranking.

Yeah I see that, and it’s just me but it makes no sense. The committee doesn’t overvalue the tourneys (if anything, they under), and if Lou ended the season as an 8 seed I don’t see how ND winning a few games in the tourney should change that ranking.
If you take them at their word that they aggregate conference records, we would be 20-12 if we go 0-2 and they would be 20-11 if they go 4-0. They’ve already pulled four spots ahead of us in the RPI. Say that gap is 7-10 spots, how much do they value recent head to head? They love them some RPI. Now if Southern Miss and Texas stumble that would probably be moot with a 3rd ACC spot. I’d like to foreclose this possibility by beating Wake today though.

Advertisement
Just to be clear, you believe that if ND wins the ACC tourney, after finishing 4th in the conference, and while not playing Miami or Louisville in the tourney, they will jump them both for a national seed?
I do believe that. But as far as “jumping” Miami, that would depend on USM and Texas winning their tourneys. If they both fail to win this weekend, ND winning would slide them in the 7-8 slot and the ACC will get us, VT and ND as top 8. Of all three win, we’ll finish 9th IMO.

Plus Baseball America still has us at 6

At this point I would bet the house that we end up no lower than 8...like I said regardless of what happens today.

Advertisement
Back