ACC title game path... so you're tellin' me there's a chance

407cane

All-ACC
welp. sorry in advance but our hopes are still alive (albeit slim) to make the title game so I'm going to be annoying and post about it.

Here's what we need to happen and seemingly the best way for it to go down in my opinion

Miami (1-2 in conference) - goes without saying, we need to win out which is a tough task as FSU and Louisville are still ahead

FSU (5-0 in conference) - in a perfect world run by Miami fans - FSU loses @ Wake, @ Pitt and then to us and misses the acc title game. Not looking likely so we just need them to lose to us and they will seal the first spot in the title game

UNC (3-1 in conference) - need UNC to lose twice more with these remaining games - losing to them was as costly as it gets. luckily they have a tougher schedule ahead
@ GT
Duke
@ Clemson
@ NC State

Louisville (3-1 in conference) we play head to head and will own the tie breaker but they can help us by beating duke

Duke (2-1 in conference) - best case scenario - loses to Louisville next week and beats UNC later in the season - in this scenario we would be ranked higher than them at season's end (assuming we win out and beat the likes of FSU and Louisville) so we would get in

left off GT (who owns tiebreaker on us and is 2-2), VT who is 2-1, and BC (2-2) because I don't think anyone considers them contenders at this point

basically we win out, duke loses another game(Riley Leonard got hurt again), and UNC stumbles against 2 of Clemson / duke / nc state / GT and we're in

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Advertisement
Lmao. I appreciate the effort here, but I won’t start thinking about this unless we win our next three, including beating FSU.

The good news is, UNC losing yesterday really helps us. But we still need them to drop two more and that might not happen. It’s going to be close.

Advertisement
Lots of football left. You didn’t even touch on 2nd place 3 way ties between teams that don’t all play each other. And i don’t blame you. But you are right about one thing, it is more likely a battle to see who plays FSU in the title game.

I am just looking forward to enjoying the rest of the season and maybe there is a bonus to playing meaningful games with post season implications, but that would be icing on the cake. We are well positioned to making a major improvement over last at least. UVA should have our undivided attention after their UNC victory.

Lots of football left. You didn’t even touch on 2nd place 3 way ties between teams that don’t all play each other. And i don’t blame you. But you are right about one thing, it is more likely a battle to see who plays FSU in the title game.

I am just looking forward to enjoying the rest of the season and maybe there is a bonus to playing meaningful games with post season implications, but that would be icing on the cake. We are well positioned to making a major improvement over last at least. UVA should have our undivided attention after their UNC victory.
ton of football left agreed, not sure what you mean about the three way tie for second place. VT and BC (play each other 11/11), Louisville(plays us so that will take care of them), GT (will most certainly lose again)

only one that could be a tie without a head to head is us vs duke and in the unlikely scenario that we actually win out and they lose another conference game (probably to Louisville which is looking more likely now with Leonard hurt) we will be ranked higher than duke which would give us the tiebreaker

Advertisement
I honestly don’t care about winning the ACC as much this year. If we somehow find a way to win out we’re 10-2 and we’re going to a major bowl game regardless of the ACC champ game.
I agree, if anything might help. beat FSU in regular season and not have to see them again, go to a major bowl and finish 11-2 would be a perfect season. even finishing 9-3 and then getting to 10 during the bowl game would be great (and is more likely because we gave away GT game)

I don't want to think about it. We can lose every game left on the schedule. In lieu of greatness will have to settle for interesting... Hopefully.

Advertisement
Lol. Better chance we win the Coastal this year with our staff.

I like the optimism though!
didn't say it would happen, just outlined how it could happen

I think we were a 10-2/9-3 team and the GT game forced it to be 9-3/8-4 season

Advertisement
not sure what you mean about the three way tie for second place. VT and BC (play each other 11/11), Louisville(plays us so that will take care of them), GT (will most certainly lose again)

UL beats Duke to give them 2 losses
Miami beats UL to give them 2 losses
Duke beats UNC to give them 2 losses
Clemson beats UNC to give them 3 losses

Miami, UL and Duke finish in a three way tie with 2 losses for 2nd place and FSU has only one loss.

who plays FSU?

I respect the effort here. I do. But this a problem our fanbase does. Win a game = acc title game in front of us. Loose a game = season over fire everyone. Just take it game by game. Continue to see improvement. Finish the season 8-4 or better and we are making progress to where we want to be.

Advertisement
Back