ACC title game path... so you're tellin' me there's a chance

Advertisement
UL beats Duke to give them 2 losses
Miami beats UL to give them 2 losses
Duke beats UNC to give them 2 losses
Clemson beats UNC to give them 3 losses

Miami, UL and Duke finish in a three way tie with 2 losses for 2nd place and FSU has only one loss.

who plays FSU?
my understanding (which may be wrong), is that we would.

we would beat UL head to head and then the remaining teams with same records would come down to who ranks highest in the AP poll. in this scenario we would have 2 losses and would have beaten FSU, and duke would have three losses so would be chose

I respect the effort here. I do. But this a problem our fanbase does. Win a game = acc title game in front of us. Loose a game = season over fire everyone. Just take it game by game. Continue to see improvement. Finish the season 8-4 or better and we are making progress to where we want to be.
I'm not the one calling for firing or anything. I think what some of the "one game at a time" people are missing is that as fans on a message board, we don't play the games because we're not on the staff or on the team. talking about what could theoretically still happen doesn't change what will happen.

welp. sorry in advance but our hopes are still alive (albeit slim) to make the title game so I'm going to be annoying and post about it.

Here's what we need to happen and seemingly the best way for it to go down in my opinion

Miami (1-2 in conference) - goes without saying, we need to win out which is a tough task as FSU and Louisville are still ahead

FSU (5-0 in conference) - in a perfect world run by Miami fans - FSU loses @ Wake, @ Pitt and then to us and misses the acc title game. Not looking likely so we just need them to lose to us and they will seal the first spot in the title game

UNC (3-1 in conference) - need UNC to lose twice more with these remaining games - losing to them was as costly as it gets. luckily they have a tougher schedule ahead
@ GT
Duke
@ Clemson
@ NC State

Louisville (3-1 in conference) we play head to head and will own the tie breaker but they can help us by beating duke

Duke (2-1 in conference) - best case scenario - loses to Louisville next week and beats UNC later in the season - in this scenario we would be ranked higher than them at season's end (assuming we win out and beat the likes of FSU and Louisville) so we would get in

left off GT (who owns tiebreaker on us and is 2-2), VT who is 2-1, and BC (2-2) because I don't think anyone considers them contenders at this point

basically we win out, duke loses another game(Riley Leonard got hurt again), and UNC stumbles against 2 of Clemson / duke / nc state / GT and we're in

Jim Carrey Chance GIF
the nut job dancing GIF by The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature

Advertisement
welp. sorry in advance but our hopes are still alive (albeit slim) to make the title game so I'm going to be annoying and post about it.

Here's what we need to happen and seemingly the best way for it to go down in my opinion

Miami (1-2 in conference) - goes without saying, we need to win out which is a tough task as FSU and Louisville are still ahead

FSU (5-0 in conference) - in a perfect world run by Miami fans - FSU loses @ Wake, @ Pitt and then to us and misses the acc title game. Not looking likely so we just need them to lose to us and they will seal the first spot in the title game

UNC (3-1 in conference) - need UNC to lose twice more with these remaining games - losing to them was as costly as it gets. luckily they have a tougher schedule ahead
@ GT
Duke
@ Clemson
@ NC State

Louisville (3-1 in conference) we play head to head and will own the tie breaker but they can help us by beating duke

Duke (2-1 in conference) - best case scenario - loses to Louisville next week and beats UNC later in the season - in this scenario we would be ranked higher than them at season's end (assuming we win out and beat the likes of FSU and Louisville) so we would get in

left off GT (who owns tiebreaker on us and is 2-2), VT who is 2-1, and BC (2-2) because I don't think anyone considers them contenders at this point

basically we win out, duke loses another game(Riley Leonard got hurt again), and UNC stumbles against 2 of Clemson / duke / nc state / GT and we're in

Jim Carrey Chance GIF
Playing Short Film GIF by Disney Pixar

my understanding (which may be wrong), is that we would.

we would beat UL head to head and then the remaining teams with same records would come down to who ranks highest in the AP poll. in this scenario we would have 2 losses and would have beaten FSU, and duke would have three losses so would be chose

Or Duke losses to UNC and UL

UNC loses to Clemson

UL loses to Miami

Three way tie UNC, Miami and UL 2 losses, who goes?

I feel like there could be multiple 3 way tie scenarios i am not sure.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't want to think about it. We can lose every game left on the schedule. In lieu of greatness will have to settle for interesting... Hopefully.

I'm just going to enjoy this week W but I feel pretty good this team going to lose a few more games this year. I wouldn't be surprise Virginia beats us

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back