ACC Network

Tell me more about Directv Now streaming. Is it much different from UVerse from a customer perspective? For example, if I bought the streaming service, would I actually need to install a satellite dish? Or would it come through the lines I currently have through UVerse?
Wouldn’t need a dish. Your TV service comes thru the interwebs. Direct now is really no different than any other streaming service (YouTube TV, Xbox/PSView, Hulu....). They’d just rather call it something your familiar with. The next big this will be when 5G fully comes on board. If it were me, I’d get on a fiber network and stream whatever you want from whoever you want.

Advertisement
Just the TV side. They will still support it for customers with the service presently. But they’re not gonna be selling to any new subscribers. Gonna be pushing the Directv Now streaming big time. I’ve been a lineman with them now for over 19 years. The whole industry is changing quickly.

Then why are they installing fiber optic all over the place?

Sell you the broadband, let you do what you may with it. Wireless won’t be able to touch the speed of light.

I’m not sure I follow what you’re saying. The reason I’m interested is because U-verse is basically the only choice I have. Unless I want to deal with the shlt cable that’s in my town, which is not an option. Of course, every neighborhood but mine is getting fiberoptic from AT&T, eventually they’ll get to my house I suppose

I’m not sure I follow what you’re saying. The reason I’m interested is because U-verse is basically the only choice I have. Unless I want to deal with the shlt cable that’s in my town, which is not an option. Of course, every neighborhood but mine is getting fiberoptic from AT&T, eventually they’ll get to my house I suppose
If you already have it, or purchase it (Uverse TV), then you’ll continue with your service. Just saying that the word we are hearing is the company will stop selling uverse TV to new potential customers 4th quarter (sept-oct). Just gonna selling internet, slap a modem in , and let you do what you’d like with the speed delivered. So many people are pulling the plug on TV programming, I think the thought might be that it’s not worth the cost to produce a product that #1 isn’t selling, or #2 when you own DirecTV as well, might want to consolidate.

Advertisement
If you already have it, or purchase it (Uverse TV), then you’ll continue with your service. Just saying that the word we are hearing is the company will stop selling uverse TV to new potential customers 4th quarter (sept-oct). Just gonna selling internet, slap a modem in , and let you do what you’d like with the speed delivered. So many people are pulling the plug on TV programming, I think the thought might be that it’s not worth the cost to produce a product that #1 isn’t selling, or #2 when you own DirecTV as well, might want to consolidate.

I’d pull the plug except without fiber optic, I can’t get the speed I need unless I switch to my shltty cable provider

I’d pull the plug except without fiber optic, I can’t get the speed I need unless I switch to my shltty cable provider
Like I said earlier, if you can get on fiber, it’s really the way to go. Secure limitless speed. You’ll probably need at least a good 18-25Mbps to get your stream on and still have bandwidth for a few other devices to be efficient at the same time. If you have kids with tablets and ****, might want to plan for more if available. Comcast can offer you pretty good speeds too, but I hear they’re more of a pain to deal with than us. Good luck homes!

Dump Xfinity/Comcast. Just subscribe to Hulu Live. It's $45-50 month (includes the regular Hulu streaming as well which many are paying for already anyway). It includes all of the ESPN channels, CBS Sports, Fox Sports (including a number of the local-specific versions), NBC Sports Network, various NCAA conference networks, and has already announced they will carry the ACC Network when it premieres.

I have Hulu Live TV and I think its great.......HOWEVER, one thing to anyone who might be considering signing up.

ABC is on demand only. So you can't watch anything on ABC live and if you schedule something to record, it does not generate in your DVR til hours after the event is over.

This is somewhat of a hang up for me bc I also don't want to miss the games on ABC during Saturday nights during the fall. i.e. LSU/Tex on 9/7 or Aub/Oregon on 8/31.

Edit: I'm betting on YouTube TV picking up ACCN and I'll switch over to them (they get ABC live, no delay)

Hotwire for me. I have fiber direct to the house and I get 150-200 mpbs down and 50+ upload.

Hope these mopes pick up the ACCN.

Advertisement
Wouldn’t need a dish. Your TV service comes thru the interwebs. Direct now is really no different than any other streaming service (YouTube TV, Xbox/PSView, Hulu....). They’d just rather call it something your familiar with. The next big this will be when 5G fully comes on board. If it were me, I’d get on a fiber network and stream whatever you want from whoever you want.
What is a fiber network? I’d like to dump Comcast, but by the time I pay for a streaming service for $50 then have to get internet service from another provider it doesn’t seem like I’d be saving all that much. And I wouldn’t have a DVR, which I use so much.

Like I said earlier, if you can get on fiber, it’s really the way to go. Secure limitless speed. You’ll probably need at least a good 18-25Mbps to get your stream on and still have bandwidth for a few other devices to be efficient at the same time. If you have kids with tablets and ****, might want to plan for more if available. Comcast can offer you pretty good speeds too, but I hear they’re more of a pain to deal with than us. Good luck homes!

Waiting for it...they just don’t know when they get to my neighborhood.

And I want 1,000 🙏🏼

What is a fiber network? I’d like to dump Comcast, but by the time I pay for a streaming service for $50 then have to get internet service from another provider it doesn’t seem like I’d be saving all that much. And I wouldn’t have a DVR, which I use so much.

The Dvr is the one thing I would miss

Advertisement
AT&T, Google, Verizon and a few others have actually gone pole to pole, or running conduits thru buried utility neighborhoods, placing fiber through a ton of neighborhoods in the past 2 years. HOA’s have been our biggest opponent due to some tight asses not wanting their grass disturbed, even tho we replace it. Provides an actual strand of fiber to you house, versus fiber to a node somewhere in you neighborhood and then copper to your house from there. Copper is metal, metal has resistance, relies on frequencies to travel thru it. Fiber is glass, no resistance, speed of light. Don’t get me wrong, 100M or 1Gig is total overkill for the average household, but it sure is nice for piece of mind.

Advertisement

How about moving out of that sht area you live in. That's another option.

The Dvr is the one thing I would miss

Don't know what plan you are on, but my cable bill ran over $200 per month. Streaming with DirectTVNow and my internet service at 100M is about $150, including taxes. Saving $50 to $60 over Comcast and Frontier. Comcast was the worse. Bill went up almost every month. DirectTVNow includes HBO and Cinemax. Also has a DVR capability. Worth looking into, no matter which streaming service you choose. Most are month to month and you can cancel anytime.

Don't know what plan you are on, but my cable bill ran over $200 per month. Streaming with DirectTVNow and my internet service at 100M is about $150, including taxes. Saving $50 to $60 over Comcast and Frontier. Comcast was the worse. Bill went up almost every month. DirectTVNow includes HBO and Cinemax. Also has a DVR capability. Worth looking into, no matter which streaming service you choose. Most are month to month and you can cancel anytime.

The DVR concern is mainly for sports, for example when I go to a hurricanes home game I always DVR the game, and then watch it later - breaking it down. Sometimes the same night.

I really don’t need the DVR for HBO or any of the premium channels because with streaming I can watch whatever I want when I want. I guess it’s mainly just for sports, that I can think of right now

Advertisement
Back