REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

I mentioned Houston being my second choice behind ND earlier but how do u feel about SMU? Idk about their other sports but they have potential in football.
Ironically I was talking about this a few days ago with a co-worker who is absolutely brilliant when it comes to analytics and football. He thinks that SMU is going to be well-served in the NIL world, given its access to the Dallas marketplace. I would not be against SMU for that reason either.

Advertisement
Swafford bent ACC and and each of its member institutions over and helped ESPN slide in with no lube when he negotiated the last media rights deal in 2016, all for the ACC Network.

Jim Phillips needs to be aggressive and find a way to lure ND and yes, likely Houston due to its large media market, and force ESPN to renegotiate the deal so we aren't relegated the ACC Network and ESPN+ while every SEC game is on ESPN/ABC prime time, and the payouts per school are within ****ing range of the SEC and B1G, comparatively. Otherwise every school in the conference will be at a huge financial disadvantage for the next 15 years.
Phillips has been talking about the need for the conference to have a football first mindset. We will see if he can convince the Tobacco Road schools to get on board with this and become very aggressive to save the conference.

I mentioned Houston being my second choice behind ND earlier but how do u feel about SMU? Idk about their other sports but they have potential in football.
I'm not sold on ND coming soon or at all. I think their either gonna hold out as long as they can or try to slip to the BIG at some point.

I wouldn't be against grabbing a couple of Texas teams. Houston and either TCU or SMU would be a good addition to the conference. That gives you the Houston and Dallas markets for recruiting and exposure.

I'm not sold on ND coming soon or at all. I think their either gonna hold out as long as they can or try to slip to the BIG at some point.

I wouldn't be against grabbing a couple of Texas teams. Houston and either TCU or SMU would be a good addition to the conference. That gives you the Houston and Dallas markets for recruiting and exposure.
Can they hold out for the next 15 years if the rest rest CFB is posturing towards four mega-conferences? If they forego independence before 2036 they have to join the ACC. Couple of big "if's" but the changing landscape of the sport could force their hand.

**** the ACC, let's start from scratch...poach Florida from the SEC, then you add Miami, UCF, FSU, Houston, and take it from there. Beginning with those 5, you have a conference mix of teams with large TV markets (UCF, UH, UM), and big fan bases in College towns (FSU & UF).

Advertisement
Can they hold out for the next 15 years if the rest rest CFB is posturing towards four mega-conferences? If they forego independence before 2036 they have to join the ACC. Couple of big "if's" but the changing landscape of the sport could force their hand.
I'm sure there is a way they can get out of that. I wouldn't expect it to be cheap but there is probably a way they can dip. ND supposedly has the largest base of donors.

The ACC messed up by getting these crap east coast teams that brought nothing and in turn destroyed their chance at getting a good TV contract which I think plays into ND not jumping to join.

If the ACC sole purpose is to have the top bball conference. Then I expect more junk football teams and they wait for ND.

Will we even have conferences for the very top schools? I mean why can't or won't top programs be enticed to cut mega deals with networks with big payoffs to teams they play?

Notre Dame has to go SOMEWHERE. This will be our chance to butch up the ACC by bringing them in and raiding the Big 12.

Advertisement
I like Genghis Cane’s idea of working with the PAC XII. It opens up California to our recruitment in a big way. We could recruit Los Angeles and San Diego like we hadn’t before,

The downside is that once the Trojans get their act together, they’d be competition for us.

They've been ranked usually in the past couple yrs. In basketball, so that's the 2 big sports.

Let’s not overthink this, add UCF, USF, FAU and FIU. Hire Billy McFarland as commissioner and have him pay a bunch of social media influencers to post to the world how we just created the most powerful super conference out there. WALLA problem solved!
Nice idea, but such a conference would be too Florida heavy.

Advertisement
Houston and Cincinnati for recruiting. Houston for Texas access and Cincinnati for OL Northern area access. Realign the divisions to help with travel issues.

I wonder if OU fans will call it the Sooner Eastern Conference...you know like All Canes Conference bragging back in the day before reality set.

ACC should make a sweetheart offer to 2-3 SEC schools. Yes, pay them extra to match or exceed SEC levels.

ACC could offer an easier path to the CFP

Advertisement
I haven't toured the campus itself with the exception of the Irwin Center and the UT basketball facility (my son when to a couple of camps there when he was younger). That's an interesting take.

I think about it now versus how it was twenty years ago - back then a student could walk around and see the capitol building in the distance, or look south and see a few large buildings. Now if they are to look south, they are in the shadows of numerous fifty story buildings.

Here's one angle - 2010 vs 2017:
View attachment 150459

Here's another angle - 2005 vs 2017:
View attachment 150461
I was in Austin many times in the late 90’s. Is that pic from 2017 what it looks like today?!

Don't forget about the other sports.

The SEC may be able to just do what they want in football but they need thriving conferences for their other sports to do well. Baseball and basketball specifically.

Advertisement
Back