About the Oline, spoke to Dr Claude Jones last night...

k9cane

Senior
and we had a good laugh about how at last years home games that certain sections of Hard Rock, would basically clap along with our QB before the snap. He said it was actually comical - but it compromised our Oline

Claude said, "Think about it, if you're a defensive lineman, after a series of two, you basically know the cadence and snap count, so as an offensive lineman, I would absolutely be at a disadvantage almost every play. That stuff was crazy to me."

So I asked him point blank : can faulty play-calling, bad system, make an offensive line worse than they actually are?

He said it absolutely can. And that conversely, a good system and clever play-calling could hide certain defiencies of players, by scheming around them

So yeah, it does matter.

Jones is doing well, just moved to Cleveland and he's doing well at his new hospital. Always a good time talking to him, the guy really knows how to explain football and it's nuances. Has some great stories of playing in that era, anyone that does Hurricane related podcasts should have him on.

Anyhoooo, taking off for Orlando in the early morning, see everyone there(or not)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Anyone got a before an after off-season pic of Zion Nelson? Manny saying he put on 45 lbs of muscle since January. C'mon! I hear Feeley is the weight whisperer but that's pretty hard to believe.

Anyone got a before an after off-season pic of Zion Nelson? Manny saying he put on 45 lbs of muscle since January. C'mon! I hear Feeley is the weight whisperer but that's pretty hard to believe.
He didn't say its 45 lbs of all muscle. He went from 235lbs at 10% bodyfat to 280lbs at 14% body fat. He's supposedly 291 now. That's about 36 to 37lbs of muscle which is completely doable over the time he's been on campus with proper nutrition and lifting. 2 lbs a week which is about what he has put on is not as crazy as it seems. When you take into the fact that this is probably the first time Zion has eaten appropriately in his life it makes it more believable.

Zion before and after action figure released:

1566520118894.png

Advertisement
Claude was the top or near-the-top rated HS OG in the country his senior year. One HS recruiting analyst said on film only one HS DL handled him in a game, a guy from Ft. Myers whose name he could not recall. I figured out he was probably talking about Kip Vickers.

I think Claude later ended up playing for that short-lived Baltimore franchise in the Canadian football league.

Advertisement
I said the same thing the other day when I mentioned the OL possibly benefits more from Enos than anything else.

Arguably sure there is a lot to like.

I mentioned Gaithier and Donaldson as two guys that’s noticeably regressed when they should have been really good.

I’ve never been so embarrassed watching an offensive play caller as I was last season, particularly at the end. And that’s saying something considering our history of OCs.

He didn't say its 45 lbs of all muscle. He went from 235lbs at 10% bodyfat to 280lbs at 14% body fat. He's supposedly 291 now. That's about 36 to 37lbs of muscle which is completely doable over the time he's been on campus with proper nutrition and lifting. 2 lbs a week which is about what he has put on is not as crazy as it seems. When you take into the fact that this is probably the first time Zion has eaten appropriately in his life it makes it more believable.
Not sure which old poster you are, but if you're who I think you are, stick around, man.

Advertisement
I said the same thing the other day when I mentioned the OL possibly benefits more from Enos than anything else.

I mentioned Gaithier and Donaldson as two guys that’s noticeably regressed when they should have been really good.

I’ve never been so embarrassed watching an offensive play caller as I was last season, particularly at the end. And that’s saying something considering our history of OCs.
I don’t know which was worse. Last season or Patrick Nix offense. I could literally call 75% of the plays before the snap when Nix was here. Man we’ve had some ****** coordinators. It’s a shame with the talent we’ve had. When was the last time we outschemed an opponent on offense.

I don’t know which was worse. Last season or Patrick Nix offense. I could literally call 75% of the plays before the snap when Nix was here. Man we’ve had some ****** coordinators. It’s a shame with the talent we’ve had. When was the last time we outschemed an opponent on offense.

This is probably my biggest source of optimism. I’m not saying Enos is Bill Walsh in the ‘80s, but I KNOW he doesn’t absolutely suck. He might be really good, we’ll see. But his absolute bottom floor is he’s competent. We know all about the defense. This really might be the first time we’ve paired competent coordinators in 20 years.

Advertisement
Yeah Nix was horrible. Ugh. Still think last year was the worst but it’s a nightmare

and we had a good laugh about how at last years home games that certain sections of Hard Rock, would basically clap along with our QB before the snap. He said it was actually comical - but it compromised our Oline

Claude said, "Think about it, if you're a defensive lineman, after a series of two, you basically know the cadence and snap count, so as an offensive lineman, I would absolutely be at a disadvantage almost every play. That stuff was crazy to me."

So I asked him point blank : can faulty play-calling, bad system, make an offensive line worse than they actually are?

He said it absolutely can. And that conversely, a good system and clever play-calling could hide certain defiencies of players, by scheming around them

So yeah, it does matter.

Jones is doing well, just moved to Cleveland and he's doing well at his new hospital. Always a good time talking to him, the guy really knows how to explain football and it's nuances. Has some great stories of playing in that era, anyone that does Hurricane related podcasts should have him on.

Anyhoooo, taking off for Orlando in the early morning, see everyone there(or not)

Claude Jones? Meh...Now an interview with Zev Lumelski? That would have been impressive.

The Richter managed to make Patrick Nix look like Sean McVay.

Advertisement
Back