A Trend That Must Stop

Advertisement
First two games are usually gimmies and, even if against a good opponent, their offense has usually not figured out all the kinks yet.

I see what you're getting at here, but I don't think there's a big enough sample size and too many external factors to warrant this a statistically significant trend.

Defense gave up 7 points a half.

I would also like more dominant tackle playand better tackling, but I won’t nitpick them for a solid overall season considering how modern football is played.

Way more concerning was our trend of horrid offensive coordinators. I rewatched the first half twice after D Rev posted it and came away even more sick than I had previously felt.

If there is any justice in the world, the FBI will roll up on Enos and arrest him for grand larceny and fraud, because he fleeced Miami for a million and a half dollars slicker than Bernie Madoff.

I couldn’t even get to the second half. It was a coaching **** show from the pit of ****.

Really watch the play calls verses the defensive alignments. Jarren was forced to throw into coverage and run into pressure. I won’t even get started on how he set Tate up to fail. No wonder they fell apart. Having that clown run your offense shows Manny didn’t do his due diligence and Miami doesn’t take football seriously.

There were no presnap reads. There was no audibles. Whatever Dan the Almighty called, we ran, no matter what the defense showed.

Most of the drives started good and we would get a first down or two. Then Enos would make a horrible call and we woul fall behind the chains. Then he would make matters worse with more bad calls.

I’m gonna do a thread with a drive by drive breakdown when I get time. His system was awful in every respect and that smug ******* got away with some heinous neglect of the offense. His disorganization and ego were the primary reasons for our offensive failures, not weed or blond, big breasted Brazilians.

F it, BShaw....let’s take out the *** we gave up to Wisconsin in 2018....last 6 games, we still gave up an avg. of 155 yrds/game.

Bro, I know, I know....like I said, blame @D RevLee for making me rewatch the LA Tech game. We have a lot of **** stats that’s made our def look phenomenal: TFLs, Sacks, ypc, ypg, the T.O chain....but, the ypg against the run, the 3rd down conversions, the 4th down conversions have caused us to blow late game leads, including waning moments when the O took the lead. We have a really good defense, but we cannot pretend like this Def have been all world and does not have a share in our woes. It needs to be tighten up.

We finished #13 in Total Defense last year, and I'm in total agreement it wasn't close to being as good as that number would seem to indicate. The defense is still way better than the offense, but I agree the defense has missed chances to step up and win us some games. I definitely don't think we have a dominant defense.

But that's a different argument from your original post that the run defense has gotten worse and worse as the year went along for the last 4 years. I think it was just last year. I don't think either of us is necessarily right or wrong - we're just looking at the stats in different ways.

2018 Run yds per game vs P5 teams by month

Sept - 186
Oct - 145
Nov - 141
Dec - 333

Sav St (30 yds) and FIU (17 yds) skew the numbers early and Wisconsin (333) skews the numbers late. In games 5-12, the run defense was fairly consistent, and consistent vs all P5 teams until the Wisconsin game.

I would personally throw out the 2019 La Tech (174 yds) and 2018 Wisconsin (333 yds) out of any averages. The defense was awful. The offense was awful. The coaching was awful. The entire team looked completely disorganized and totally disinterested.

If you're disappointed in the Defense in those games, just look at what the Offense did:

2019 vs La Tech - 0 pts. 3 Turnovers. 227 Total yds. Crossed the 30 yd line 0 times
2018 vs Wisc - 3 pts. 5 turnovers. 169 Total yds. Crossed the 30 yd line 1 time

Advertisement
Defense has been okay to great under Manny. Yeah, rush defense would be the weakness. Remember the championship Randy defenses seemed to give up one huge 70yd run a game and suffered against running QBs. That said it would be nice if run heavy teams didn't punch us in the mouth. Run teams always seem to out-tough us (GT the exception).

I thought we'd do the classic fold against UNC in 18 because we could not stop the run at all against that diamond formation. But 6 turnovers later we were good.

But again if the defense just didn't get worse we'll be fine.

My friend, I suggest you go back and read through this thread. We've been giving the defense a pass and calling them elite. They are far from elite, but it is definitely a very good defense for our division. My whole point in this thread is to highlight that our interior needs improvement, our missed tackles needs to improve, and we gotta get off the field by not allowing teams to willingly just run the ball at us.

If you're listening and putting stock into the opinions of people who try to tell you this defense is elite, you need to revisit that. You're too smart of a dude to let that nonsense into your ears. The defense is absolutely not elite. But it's very good, and has consistently been very good. Could it be better? Of course....continuous improvement should always be expected and worked towards. But for every thread about the defense, there should be 100 for the offense. That's how far behind they've been and how much they've failed us the past 4 years.

So we can nitpick the defense if we'd like. But I just cannot stress enough that this board would be INCREDIBLY happy with the defense if we just fielded an offense with a pulse the past 4 years. It's not perfect, but it'd have been PLENTY good enough to win us a ton of games, had the offense just remotely held up their end of the bargain (and we could actually have the stars aligned where we had a good punter and placekicker in the same season. Heaven's forbid that actually happens).

Mannys defense has always been more flash than substance. That’s why I always ***** when we get punched in the mouth when we verse a ground running team like BC or Wisconsin

Any team with a decent OL that can hold back the initial rush, ala Wisconsin, will shred Manny's defense. It is all fizz bang pop..

Advertisement
3.17 yards per carry on the ground (#7 in the P5) in a conference with 6 of the top 50 rushing attacks in the country (tied for best in the P5) is elite. If you're arguing the contrary I'd like to hear what your definition of elite is.

In the past 4 years if we could have scored min of 30 points, which should not be hard in todays college football landscape our regular season record would be:

2016: 10-2 (counting ND as loss)
2017: 11-1
2018: 11-1
2019: 10-2 (counting FIU as loss)

Our defense is overrated to an extent but for 90% of our games either keeps us in the game with a good offense or outright wins it for us

Our offense has been putrid the past 2 seasons and it shows

In the past 4 years if we could have scored min of 30 points, which should not be hard in todays college football landscape our regular season record would be:

2016: 10-2 (counting ND as loss)
2017: 11-1
2018: 11-1
2019: 10-2 (counting FIU as loss)

Our defense is overrated to an extent but for 90% of our games either keeps us in the game with a good offense or outright wins it for us

Our offense has been putrid the past 2 seasons and it shows

100%. I've been screaming just for a top 40-ish offense. That's all. I'm not even being greedy....I don't expect to go from being in a wheelchair to winning gold in the 100m dash at the Olympics. Just....jog, for Christ's sake. Top 40. If this offense was Top 40 for the last 4 years, I'd have bought a house in Charlotte by now, we'd be there so **** often.

I respect you as a poster, and you're not being a homer. I know we like to think this b/c that's how propaganda works, but it's not really true, either.

Game 1.
Miami goes ahead 20-17. Miami gives up a 4 play 80 yard drive to UF and we lose 24-20.
Game 2.
Miami goes ahead 25-20. Miami gives up a 9 play 75 yard drive to UNC and we lose 28-25.
Game 5.
Miami comes back to tie game 35-35 against VT. Miami gives up 5 play 63 yard drive to VT and we lose 42-35
Game 7.
Miami is up 21-14 against GT. Miami gives up 6 play 80 yard drive to tie the game. We lose in OT.
Game 11.
Miami gives up scoring drives to FIU where their starting position was their 20, 18, and 11 yard line. (they had a couple of short fields, as well)
Game 13.
Miami gives up scoring drives to LA Tech of 13 plays, 91 yards (egregious), and 5 plays 56 yards (the back breaker)

Like I said, to go 6-7 and sub .500 over the past 2 years has been a team effort.

While the Defense could've made some plays/gotten some more stops - I feel like some context is needed on the contribution the offense made to losing these games,

Game 1 - Miami goes ahead 20-17. Miami gives up a 4 play 80 yard drive to UF and we lose 24-20.
UF drive before that TD - INT returned to UF 25. Miami misses 27 yd FG
UF drive after that TD - INT returned to UF 25 with 4 min to go. Miami goes on a 4 minute 10 play 2 yard drive. Game over.

Game 5 - Miami comes back to tie game 35-35 against VT. Miami gives up 5 play 63 yard drive to VT and we lose 42-35
Miami should've been up 36-35 but missed the XP
Miami still had 2 shots from the VT 10 yd line at the end of the game to tie it but threw 2 incomplete passes.
Miami had 5 turnovers on their first 6 possessions

Game 7 - Miami is up 21-14 against GT. Miami gives up 6 play 80 yard drive to tie the game. We lose in OT.
The score was 21-21 at halftime.
2 GT TD's were recovered fumble in the end zone and fake punt TD. Neither are on the D.
Miami gives up 0 pts in the 2nd half, but scores 0 pts and missed 25 & 27 yd FG attempts in the 4th that would've won the game

Game 11 - Miami gives up scoring drives to FIU where their starting position was their 20, 18, and 11 yard line.
Miami's first 7 possessions include 3 INT's, failed 4th & 1 at FIU 1, failed 4th & 1 at FIU 18
You can't put up only 3 pts on FIU thru 3 quarters

Game 13 - Miami gives up scoring drives to LA Tech of 13 plays, 91 yards (egregious), and 5 plays 56 yards (the back breaker)
In 13 possessions, the Miami offense never crosses the La Tech 30 yd line
Miami has 3 turnovers

Advertisement
Any team with a decent OL that can hold back the initial rush, ala Wisconsin, will shred Manny's defense. It is all fizz bang pop..

If that’s true show us 5 teams that shredded our D over 60 minutes the last four seasons. That’s about 10% of our games over that period.

Here's some perspective for those of you that don't think 3.17 yards per carry against the rush is elite.

The 2014 Michigan State defense which ranked #1 against the run and #7 in total defense averaged 3.17 yards per carry against the rush.

The 2015 Wisconsin defense which ranked #3 against the run and #2 in total defense averaged 3.13 yards per carry against the rush.

The 2016 Wisconsin defense which ranked #2 against the run and #5 in total defense averaged 3.29 yards per carry against the rush.

The 2017 Wisconsin defense which ranked #3 against the run and #2 in total defense averaged 3.16 yards per carry against the rush.

The 2018 Iowa defense which ranked #6 against the run and #5 in total defense averaged 3.27 yards per carry against the rush.

Now, I dare you to sit there and type with a straight face that 3.17 yards per carry is not elite.

To do so, after I just layed out in the simplest way possible that it clearly IS, would reveal you to be a ******* simpleton.

Advertisement
We have a good overall defense. But ask yourself this. If we were ahead 20-19, :30 on the clock, and the opposition was 10 yards from scoring, would you be confident or just hopeful?

We have a good overall defense. But ask yourself this. If we were ahead 20-19, :30 on the clock, and the opposition was 10 yards from scoring, would you be confident or just hopeful?

Even the best defenses in the world would have a hard time keeping a team that's on the ten from getting any points. Unless you force a turnover, you're still giving up an easy, chip shot, go ahead field goal.

Which is part of the main issue when we complain about the defense. We expect the defense to go way above and beyond what would be considered fair expectations.

There's certainly a few areas that could be improved on defense, they're not elite. I would grade the overall defense since Manny has been here as a B+/A-. Very good but not quite peak level. Meanwhile, I would grade the offense over the same period of time a D+. Occasional glimpses of good play but mostly garbage. Yes we can pick out specific moments during games where the defense failed but you could start a twenty page thread just listing individual moments where the offense failed. Honestly, the fact that the defensive players have not had an all out mutiny against the offensive coaches and players is a miracle. If the defense was even average last year, they would have gone 2-9. Louisville was the only game where I could honestly say, "thankfully the offense carried the load because the defense just wasn't very good today".

Even the best defenses in the world would have a hard time keeping a team that's on the ten from getting any points. Unless you force a turnover, you're still giving up an easy, chip shot, go ahead field goal.

Which is part of the main issue when we complain about the defense. We expect the defense to go way above and beyond what would be considered fair expectations.

There's certainly a few areas that could be improved on defense, they're not elite. I would grade the overall defense since Manny has been here as a B+/A-. Very good but not quite peak level. Meanwhile, I would grade the offense over the same period of time a D+. Occasional glimpses of good play but mostly garbage. Yes we can pick out specific moments during games where the defense failed but you could start a twenty page thread just listing individual moments where the offense failed. Honestly, the fact that the defensive players have not had an all out mutiny against the offensive coaches and players is a miracle. If the defense was even average last year, they would have gone 2-9. Louisville was the only game where I could honestly say, "thankfully the offense carried the load because the defense just wasn't very good today".
My example was lacking. I wanted to get it typed before my conference call started. But that was my point in an earlier post. How much of this is because the defense is demoralized as they watch their season slip away? My example was simply asking if the defense is elite or just looks it by comparison? I can see it from both sides. @Rellyrell's point about early defense vs later highlights both those questions.

I don't really have the answers, but I suspect the defense will step up once the offense starts producing.

While the Defense could've made some plays/gotten some more stops - I feel like some context is needed on the contribution the offense made to losing these games,

Game 1 - Miami goes ahead 20-17. Miami gives up a 4 play 80 yard drive to UF and we lose 24-20.
UF drive before that TD - INT returned to UF 25. Miami misses 27 yd FG
UF drive after that TD - INT returned to UF 25 with 4 min to go. Miami goes on a 4 minute 10 play 2 yard drive. Game over.

Game 5 - Miami comes back to tie game 35-35 against VT. Miami gives up 5 play 63 yard drive to VT and we lose 42-35
Miami should've been up 36-35 but missed the XP
Miami still had 2 shots from the VT 10 yd line at the end of the game to tie it but threw 2 incomplete passes.
Miami had 5 turnovers on their first 6 possessions

Game 7 - Miami is up 21-14 against GT. Miami gives up 6 play 80 yard drive to tie the game. We lose in OT.
The score was 21-21 at halftime.
2 GT TD's were recovered fumble in the end zone and fake punt TD. Neither are on the D.
Miami gives up 0 pts in the 2nd half, but scores 0 pts and missed 25 & 27 yd FG attempts in the 4th that would've won the game

Game 11 - Miami gives up scoring drives to FIU where their starting position was their 20, 18, and 11 yard line.
Miami's first 7 possessions include 3 INT's, failed 4th & 1 at FIU 1, failed 4th & 1 at FIU 18
You can't put up only 3 pts on FIU thru 3 quarters

Game 13 - Miami gives up scoring drives to LA Tech of 13 plays, 91 yards (egregious), and 5 plays 56 yards (the back breaker)
In 13 possessions, the Miami offense never crosses the La Tech 30 yd line
Miami has 3 turnovers

So I noticed how you conveniently left out game # 2, and your reasoning on game 5 just don’t justify the O battling all the way back, just for the def on the very next possession to give up the lead. That’s not championship caliber football, and if you go back to those game threads, some posters were literally saying “now watch the def give up the lead.”

Regardless, that illustration was in response to the poster stating that our def was playing on short fields, and I highlighted that the def allowed *** from distance when they were up. Allowing a 91 yrd drive against a G5 team is ***.

So again, just so I’m clear, I’m not saying the def is the problem, but let’s stop acting & feeding into Manny’s bull chit that the only problem is the O. If u want to justify why the def got bent over by 3 G5 teams (and yes, CMU lost, but their WRs had the dropsies on their final possession) was b/c of the O, that’s ur prerogative, but UNC & VT was squarely on the def, period. So that’s at least 2 add’l wins.

Advertisement
Back