A Trend That Must Stop

Advertisement
While there are likely many culprits for the stats highlighted by OP, I've felt like our LB play has been terrible for the last few years.

Too many times taking bad angles, in wrong gaps - just plain lazy, or poorly coached.

we just need more and better Strikers... 🤾🏽‍♂️

Not all true bro.
2019, we played UF, UNC, BCU, and CMU (2 P5, 1 G5, 1 FCS)
2018, we played LSU, FIU, SSt, Toledo (1 P5, 2 G5, 1 FCS)
2017, we played BCU, Toledo, Duke, FSU (Ark St was cancelled) (1 FCS, 1 G5, 2 P5)
2016, we played FAMU, FAU, App St, GT (1 FCS, 2 G5, 1 P5)

It's the schedule. Go back to 2013 when we started loading up on easy teams early in the year and you'll see the same trend.

Plus GT's offense and their 250 yds rushing a game each year skews the numbers a bit too.

Advertisement
Hopefully our lack or putrid offense helps the other side out some but yes to your overall point ....

our defense is overrated and has been for quite some time. I’m sure some will disagree but whatever, it’s true. We feast and stat boost in this weak conference against bad offenses but we are boom or bust heavy. Hopefully things change and our ability to get pressure with our 2 ends so we aren’t as blitz happy helps things ...

Top 15 D last 4 years statistically.

Offense putting up 0's doesn't exactly contribute no? Defense has been light years better than the O going back 15 years sans the Dnofrio years.

Wait till you see how good the defense looks once their best player hits the field this fall.

His name is D’Eriq King.
tenor (1).gif

It's the schedule. Go back to 2013 when we started loading up on easy teams early in the year and you'll see the same trend.

Plus GT's offense and their 250 yds rushing a game each year skews the numbers a bit too.

I thought the same thing; but that’s not true either.

2019, we played UF (52 yards rushing), UNC (97 yards rushing), BCU (31 yards rushing), CMU (61 yards rushing)

Let’s say hypothetically that’s true, We are still bleeding rushing yards. Majority is happening right up the gut, as well. Our DTs when faced w a rush are getting blown off the ball. I will admonish you to go look at our games and our interior have been feast or famine. The DEs have been the constant strength.

Advertisement
Top 15 D last 4 years statistically.

Offense putting up 0's doesn't exactly contribute no? Defense has been light years better than the O going back 15 years sans the Dnofrio years.

Agree w all that, and the answer to your question is yes..but that along with our defense being overrated can still be true. We have a top 15 defense stats wise, our offense didn’t help, our defense is better than they were with D’Onofrio, and our defense is still overrated. All of those can be true true, IMO. Again, we feast on w weak coastal to get those stats IMO. Anytime we play an offense with a pulse outside of Notre Dame a few years ago, we don’t look like a top 15 defense. Is our defense “bad”? No, I’m not saying that. Do I think it’s “great”? At times/stretches, yes but overall, no. Again, JMO, all good.

OP's stats leave out the obvious difference between our first four games and the remainder of the season. In this seaon and the previous ones, our offense has regressed from average to completely inept as the year progressed, leaving the defense on the field for massive stretches of every game.

By any measure, yds per attempt, total yards and total yds allowed per game and season, this defense was one of the tops in the nation. If we had fielded any kind of offense, those numbers would have been even better than the already very impressive totals we had.

Agree w all that, and the answer to your question is yes..but that along with our defense being overrated can still be true. We have a top 15 defense stats wise, our offense didn’t help, our defense is better than they were with D’Onofrio, and our defense is still overrated. All of those can be true true, IMO. Again, we feast on w weak coastal to get those stats IMO. Anytime we play an offense with a pulse outside of Notre Dame a few years ago, we don’t look like a top 15 defense. Is our defense “bad”? No, I’m not saying that. Do I think it’s “great”? At times/stretches, yes but overall, no. Again, JMO, all good.

You know what bro Neil and I were having a chat and the only time I can legit think of in the last 4 years where we were playing from behind and the defense stepped up?

FSU 2018.

Am I wrong? You do have a point.....

Advertisement
You know what bro Neil and I were having a chat and the only time I can legit think of in the last 4 years where we were playing from behind and the defense stepped up?

FSU 2018.

Yeah man, at some point a true top defense has to prevail despite the porous performance on the other side of the ball and they have let us down plenty. UNC, VT, GT from this year all come to mind immediately. Yes, GT scores 2 TDs that had nothing to do with our defense but they still did it in the end when they needed to. VT ran a train on us and UNC made the plays late as well. We’ll see man, still good enough to win the Coastal and we need to cross that bridge first but against a legit bowl opponent I’ll have my concerns but AGAIN..the pressure we SHOULD be able to get with our edge guys hopefully eases some concerns ...

FSU 2018.

We may not have been playing from behind in some of these games but defense is the only reason we won or were even in them in 2019: Pitt, Florida, CMU, Virginia, La Tech, Georgia Tech and even FSU.

One side of the ball has had to play near perfect football for us to win. A perfect example is the Duke game.

2nd half drives vs Duke (plays): 3, 6, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 8 (downs), 5 (fumble).

The run defense is a victim of it’s own design. Fans want a pressuring front that prioritizes penetration and TFLs. That’s what we got. Unfortunately, when the defensive line is playing the run on the way to the quarterback, it leaves a ton of pressure on the back seven to clean up mistakes. We’re either getting a tfl or we’re giving up a good chunk. If you want better run defense, you have to ask your line to play the run more. We did that against Florida but everyone just *****ed about the ends not getting upfield enough because they were too concerned with stopping the run. You can’t do both. You either emphasize pressure at the expense of containing the run or you focus more on gap integrity and staying in your run fit even if it means you’re not getting penetration.

Also, allowing 3,5 yards per carry does not mean that every single carry gains exactly 3.5 yards. I shouldn’t have to explain this. You could have 9 straight stops for no gain and then give up a 35 yard run, you’re giving up 3.5 yards per carry. Anything under 3.5 ypc is excellent and Miami allowed 3.17 ypc last season.

Advertisement
This is why I don’t listen to stat cherry pickers. Manure’s Mongoloids would have you believing we were a few first downs on offense away from undefeated.

Watch. The. Games. Manure has fielded one really good defense and a bunch of decent ones. He thrives on the splash plays that get the goofballs lathered up. Then he gives up 3rd and 17 to a horrible GT team on a give up draw play.

Mannys defense has always been more flash than substance. That’s why I always ***** when we get punched in the mouth when we verse a ground running team like BC or Wisconsin

And that's why many are still skeptical on Manny lasting. Yes, Manny has shown he'll make changes on the offensive side of the ball. But in terms of recruiting and on-field production, our defensive staff could be so much better than they are now.

And that's why many are still skeptical on Manny lasting. Yes, Manny has shown he'll make changes on the offensive side of the ball. But in terms of recruiting and on-field production, our defensive staff could be so much better than they are now.
If he was dedicated he would fire his defensive staff and hire someone like a Charlie strong to run his defense and sit back in the ceo role.

Any dc after donforio could’ve looked like a ******* stud. Sad we were short sighted in the hire after richt

This is why I don’t listen to stat cherry pickers. Manure’s Mongoloids would have you believing we were a few first downs on offense away from undefeated.

Watch. The. Games. Manure has fielded one really good defense and a bunch of decent ones. He thrives on the splash plays that get the goofballs lathered up. Then he gives up 3rd and 17 to a horrible GT team on a give up draw play.

Isn't pointing out the 3rd and 17 against a horrible GT team doing exactly what you're saying? Cherry picking? Discounting the splash plays and focus on that big third down to judge is just as slanted a look as focusing on just the positive.

The defense gave up 7 total points in that game, zero in the second half. Wasn't a beautiful game defensively, it was sloppy and uninspired. But as is the case with 90% of our games, that unit had us in a position to win the game had our offense done literally anything to help us win.

As usual, one side of the ball completely failed and the other had to play perfect football to give us a chance.

Advertisement
Back