A Trend That Must Stop

Advertisement
what was our ranking on 29 missed tackles in one game? surely that's gotta be elite?

I feel comments that dude made is like when a certain section of the fan base was defending D'Onfrio's defense when we were top 15 in several defensive stats. Anyone w/o a biased agenda would know our defense had major flaws and was far from elite. Very good, yes...elite, no.

This is why I don’t listen to stat cherry pickers. Manure’s Mongoloids would have you believing we were a few first downs on offense away from undefeated.

Watch. The. Games. Manure has fielded one really good defense and a bunch of decent ones. He thrives on the splash plays that get the goofballs lathered up. Then he gives up 3rd and 17 to a horrible GT team on a give up draw play.

Thank you!

Advertisement
LaTech gained close to 50% of their rushing yards on the final two drives of the game. Prior to those two drives our defense had stopped them on nine of ten drives. They gained 89 total yards on seven drives between their first scoring drive and those final two. Our defense was gassed and demoralized from watching our offense punt nine times and turn the ball over three times. As for the other 12 games, I don't have the time or energy right now to break them down but u can't just throw numbers out there without any context.

Our defense is not a problem.
Defense is a problem....its just masked by how horrible the O has been. dIAZ cant stop a half decent O. Luckily Miami plays in the worst division in college football.

Isn't pointing out the 3rd and 17 against a horrible GT team doing exactly what you're saying? Cherry picking? Discounting the splash plays and focus on that big third down to judge is just as slanted a look as focusing on just the positive.

The defense gave up 7 total points in that game, zero in the second half. Wasn't a beautiful game defensively, it was sloppy and uninspired. But as is the case with 90% of our games, that unit had us in a position to win the game had our offense done literally anything to help us win.

As usual, one side of the ball completely failed and the other had to play perfect football to give us a chance.
Horrible tackling on the reglar all season, DB’s looked lost and out of position- bad fundamentals really.

The run defense is a victim of it’s own design. Fans want a pressuring front that prioritizes penetration and TFLs. That’s what we got. Unfortunately, when the defensive line is playing the run on the way to the quarterback, it leaves a ton of pressure on the back seven to clean up mistakes. We’re either getting a tfl or we’re giving up a good chunk. If you want better run defense, you have to ask your line to play the run more. We did that against Florida but everyone just *****ed about the ends not getting upfield enough because they were too concerned with stopping the run. You can’t do both. You either emphasize pressure at the expense of containing the run or you focus more on gap integrity and staying in your run fit even if it means you’re not getting penetration.

Also, allowing 3,5 yards per carry does not mean that every single carry gains exactly 3.5 yards. I shouldn’t have to explain this. You could have 9 straight stops for no gain and then give up a 35 yard run, you’re giving up 3.5 yards per carry. Anything under 3.5 ypc is excellent and Miami allowed 3.17 ypc last season.

And what we saw was just that....it was feast or famine. It was either tackle for loss or chunk play. Stop, stop, stop, exploit. Stop, stop, exploit. Stop, exploit. Prior to the VT game, teams rushed the ball an avg of 29 times/game. VT rushed some 43 times for 153 yards. After that game, teams avg. about 40 rushing attempts per game against us. So while we gave up the 3.1 ypc, we allowed drives to continue as well. A lot of those gash plays were up the gut w/ our LB out of postion.

This is why I don’t listen to stat cherry pickers. Manure’s Mongoloids would have you believing we were a few first downs on offense away from undefeated.

Watch. The. Games. Manure has fielded one really good defense and a bunch of decent ones. He thrives on the splash plays that get the goofballs lathered up. Then he gives up 3rd and 17 to a horrible GT team on a give up draw play.
Not saying I agree or disagree but these stats in the op are cherry picked also

Advertisement
For a full sample size of 4 years now, Diaz’ defense has been well above average. Not elite, but it’s been a very good and at times great defense.

Know what happens when your pair a consistently very good to great defense with a very good to great offense? You win this division every year by the end of October. Unfortunately, the offense here has never even sniffed the level that the defense has consistently reached over the past 4 years.

And what we saw was just that....it was feast or famine. It was either tackle for loss or chunk play. Stop, stop, stop, exploit. Stop, stop, exploit. Stop, exploit. Prior to the VT game, teams rushed the ball an avg of 29 times/game. VT rushed some 43 times for 153 yards. After that game, teams avg. about 40 rushing attempts per game against us. So while we gave up the 3.1 ypc, we allowed drives to continue as well. A lot of those gash plays were up the gut w/ our LB out of postion.

Horrible tackling on the reglar all season, DB’s looked lost and out of position- bad fundamentals really.

Yet week in week out, from Florida to CMU to Pitt to Virginia to GT to La Tech, any late offensive output results in a win and no offensive output results in a loss. With very few exceptions this defense put us in a position to win and our offense absolutely killed us.

Yet week in week out, from Florida to CMU to Pitt to Virginia to GT to La Tech, any late offensive output results in a win and no offensive output results in a loss.

Forget early vs late. Points are worth the same whenever they’re scored. You’re not wrong at all, but people get so caught up with the “when” around here. If the offense does it’s job in the first 3 quarters, maybe we don’t need heroic defensive performances in the 4th.

I don’t think anyone is confusing the defense the past 4 years with Bama or Clemson. But, to be fair, we don’t recruit like Bama or Clemson. However, how many games over the past 4 years has the defense given the team absolutely no chance to win? 1? How many games have we said, “****. The offense came to play. We lost that game cause the defense was just overmatched, no matter how good we were on O, we had no shot.” ???? How many times? You can sure count em on 1 hand, I know that.

Now how many times has the offense given the team absolutely no chance to win? Well, in our last game they scored exactly 0 points. I’d say it’s tough to win like that.

Over 4 years, the offense has consistently lagged behind the defense. Often times considerably. So don’t listen to people who think the defense is flawless or flat out dominates week in and week out. That’s silly. But over a 50+ game sample size, it’s been really good WAY more often than it’s even been average. I hope people realize that if we could say the same about the offense, we’d be sitting here with 4 straight trips to Charlotte and looking for 5 this fall.

Yet week in week out, from Florida to CMU to Pitt to Virginia to GT to La Tech, any late offensive output results in a win and no offensive output results in a loss. With very few exceptions this defense put us in a position to win and our offense absolutely killed us.
The offense was dreadful but you could not have objectively watched last season and seen sound fundamentals on defense.

Advertisement
The offense was dreadful but you could not have objectively watched last season and seen sound fundamentals on defense.

I saw a defense that played better than 90% of the teams in college football week to week, but not to the level that defenses here had for three years before it. In my opinion it was due in part to a noticeable drop off in talent at defensive tackle and experience at corner and safety.

If the young guys at LB can get it together I expect it to rebound and be dominant again this year.

Not to be a homer, but I'm sure the defense will look better when they're not starting in their own territory.

I respect you as a poster, and you're not being a homer. I know we like to think this b/c that's how propaganda works, but it's not really true, either.

Game 1.
Miami goes ahead 20-17. Miami gives up a 4 play 80 yard drive to UF and we lose 24-20.
Game 2.
Miami goes ahead 25-20. Miami gives up a 9 play 75 yard drive to UNC and we lose 28-25.
Game 5.
Miami comes back to tie game 35-35 against VT. Miami gives up 5 play 63 yard drive to VT and we lose 42-35
Game 7.
Miami is up 21-14 against GT. Miami gives up 6 play 80 yard drive to tie the game. We lose in OT.
Game 11.
Miami gives up scoring drives to FIU where their starting position was their 20, 18, and 11 yard line. (they had a couple of short fields, as well)
Game 13.
Miami gives up scoring drives to LA Tech of 13 plays, 91 yards (egregious), and 5 plays 56 yards (the back breaker)

Like I said, to go 6-7 and sub .500 over the past 2 years has been a team effort.

I saw a defense that played better than 90% of the teams in college football week to week, but not to the level that defenses here had for three years before it. In my opinion it was due in part to a drop off in talent at defensive tackle and experience at corner and safety.
That’s some of it sure but the tackling was awful... all season.

Advertisement

Please see my response to @JD08 . What you just stated is not true. Our offense came back several games only for the defense to give up the lead.

I respect you as a poster, and you're not being a homer. I know we like to think this b/c that's how propaganda works, but it's not really true, either.

Game 1.
Miami goes ahead 20-17. Miami gives up a 4 play 80 yard drive to UF and we lose 24-20.
Game 2.
Miami goes ahead 25-20. Miami gives up a 9 play 75 yard drive to UNC and we lose 28-25.
Game 5.
Miami comes back to tie game 35-35 against VT. Miami gives up 5 play 63 yard drive to VT and we lose 42-35
Game 7.
Miami is up 21-14 against GT. Miami gives up 6 play 80 yard drive to tie the game. We lose in OT.
Game 11.
Miami gives up scoring drives to FIU where their starting position was their 20, 18, and 11 yard line. (they had a couple of short fields, as well)
Game 13.
Miami gives up scoring drives to LA Tech of 13 plays, 91 yards (egregious), and 5 plays 56 yards (the back breaker)

Like I said, to go 6-7 and sub .500 over the past 2 years has been a team effort.

It’s egregious to give up 1 scoring drive in 58 minutes to a D1 football team in this era of offensive football? ****, tough crowd.

However, if the offense scored 30 points like it should with the talent advantage we have, Miami is up 30-7 and nobody cares to do drive breakdowns of the defense.

It’s egregious to give up 1 scoring drive in 58 minutes to a D1 football team in this era of offensive football? ****, tough crowd.

However, if the offense scored 30 points like it should with the talent advantage we have, Miami is up 30-7 and nobody cares to do drive breakdowns of the defense.

The UF loss, I can live w/ b/c it was against a good team; but yes OBM, it is egregious to give up a scoring drive to a rookie QB when he needs a TD to win the game. It is egregious to allow a 3-9 team run the ball down your throat to force OT. Yes, it is egregious to allow not one, but two G5 teams to drive methodically down the field against a team full of blue chips, and was this close to allowing a third G5 team to do the same. Championship caliber defenses don't do or allow that.

Advertisement
Back