A Trend That Must Stop

I respect you as a poster, and you're not being a homer. I know we like to think this b/c that's how propaganda works, but it's not really true, either.

Game 1.
Miami goes ahead 20-17. Miami gives up a 4 play 80 yard drive to UF and we lose 24-20.
Game 2.
Miami goes ahead 25-20. Miami gives up a 9 play 75 yard drive to UNC and we lose 28-25.
Game 5.
Miami comes back to tie game 35-35 against VT. Miami gives up 5 play 63 yard drive to VT and we lose 42-35
Game 7.
Miami is up 21-14 against GT. Miami gives up 6 play 80 yard drive to tie the game. We lose in OT.
Game 11.
Miami gives up scoring drives to FIU where their starting position was their 20, 18, and 11 yard line. (they had a couple of short fields, as well)
Game 13.
Miami gives up scoring drives to LA Tech of 13 plays, 91 yards (egregious), and 5 plays 56 yards (the back breaker)

Like I said, to go 6-7 and sub .500 over the past 2 years has been a team effort.

In game 1 that TD was scored with 8:18 left in the game. Our four possessions wrapped around that TD were fumble, missed FG, downs and downs.

In game 5 we turned the ball over SIX times, including our first four consecutive possessions.

In game 7 that GT touchdown was in the FIRST HALF, we completely shut them out in the second half. We also had the ball five more times, including three trips to the red zone and scored ZERO points.

In game 13 that La Tech TD was in the FIRST HALF. We possessed the ball TEN more times in that game and scored ZERO points

A TD scored in the first half isn't a comeback man. It's just a score. Making it seem like some time of defensive collapse is ridiculous.

Advertisement
The UF loss, I can live w/ b/c it was against a good team; but yes OBM, it is egregious to give up a scoring drive to a rookie QB when he needs a TD to win the game. It is egregious to allow a 3-9 team run the ball down your throat to force OT. Yes, it is egregious to allow not one, but two G5 teams to drive methodically down the field against a team full of blue chips, and was this close to allowing a third G5 team to do the same. Championship caliber defenses don't do or allow that.

We’re 13-13 the last 2 seasons. Who in the world is saying Miami has a championship level anything? If you’re talking about the Coastal, absolutely. The defense is easily championship level. With its eyes closed. If you’re talking nattys, no chance. But it’s a very good defense, at worst, over a 50 game sample size. That cannot be argued.

I respect you as a poster, and you're not being a homer. I know we like to think this b/c that's how propaganda works, but it's not really true, either.

Game 1.
Miami goes ahead 20-17. Miami gives up a 4 play 80 yard drive to UF and we lose 24-20.
Game 2.
Miami goes ahead 25-20. Miami gives up a 9 play 75 yard drive to UNC and we lose 28-25.
Game 5.
Miami comes back to tie game 35-35 against VT. Miami gives up 5 play 63 yard drive to VT and we lose 42-35
Game 7.
Miami is up 21-14 against GT. Miami gives up 6 play 80 yard drive to tie the game. We lose in OT.
Game 11.
Miami gives up scoring drives to FIU where their starting position was their 20, 18, and 11 yard line. (they had a couple of short fields, as well)
Game 13.
Miami gives up scoring drives to LA Tech of 13 plays, 91 yards (egregious), and 5 plays 56 yards (the back breaker)

Like I said, to go 6-7 and sub .500 over the past 2 years has been a team effort.
As usual, you're 100% correct. I just hope the psychological effect of having a good offense will allow the defense to keep up the kind of performance they have at the start of the season. It just kind of seems like they let off. I'm hoping a lot of the problem was being demoralized.

I know the D has weaknesses. I'm just hoping they're easily fixable. I really want to be back.

I thought the same thing; but that’s not true either.

2019, we played UF (52 yards rushing), UNC (97 yards rushing), BCU (31 yards rushing), CMU (61 yards rushing)

Let’s say hypothetically that’s true, We are still bleeding rushing yards. Majority is happening right up the gut, as well. Our DTs when faced w a rush are getting blown off the ball. I will admonish you to go look at our games and our interior have been feast or famine. The DEs have been the constant strength.
I think you have a good point that the run defense hasn't been very consistent. I just think you're distorting the stats a bit.

2019 & 2018 - run defense was statistically better the 1st half of the season vs the 2nd half (where you used the first 4 games as an example)
2017 & 2016 - run defense was statistically better the 2nd half of the season vs the 1st half (where you used the first 2 games as an example)

If you consistently use the first 4 games across each season, your stats for 2016 & 2017 look much different

FAMU - 22
FAU - 47
App St - 144
GT - 267

BCU - 121
Toldeo - 85
Duke - 183
FSU - 203

2016 - 2019
- we average giving up more rushing yds per game in October than we do in November all 4 years.

We’re 13-13 the last 2 seasons. Who in the world is saying Miami has a championship level anything? If you’re talking about the Coastal, absolutely. The defense is easily championship level. With its eyes closed. If you’re talking nattys, no chance. But it’s a very good defense, at worst, over a 50 game sample size. That cannot be argued.

My friend, I suggest you go back and read through this thread. We've been giving the defense a pass and calling them elite. They are far from elite, but it is definitely a very good defense for our division. My whole point in this thread is to highlight that our interior needs improvement, our missed tackles needs to improve, and we gotta get off the field by not allowing teams to willingly just run the ball at us.

Advertisement
My friend, I suggest you go back and read through this thread. We've been giving the defense a pass and calling them elite. They are far from elite, but it is definitely a very good defense for our division. My whole point in this thread is to highlight that our interior needs improvement, our missed tackles needs to improve, and we gotta get off the field by not allowing teams to willingly just run the ball at us.

And you're willingly cherry picking stats that support your argument and ignoring those that don't.

I think you have a good point that the run defense hasn't been very consistent. I just think you're distorting the stats a bit.

2019 & 2018 - run defense was statistically better the 1st half of the season vs the 2nd half (where you used the first 4 games as an example)
2017 & 2016 - run defense was statistically better the 2nd half of the season vs the 1st half (where you used the first 2 games as an example)

If you consistently use the first 4 games across each season, your stats for 2016 & 2017 look much different

FAMU - 22
FAU - 47
App St - 144
GT - 267

BCU - 121
Toldeo - 85
Duke - 183
FSU - 203

2016 - 2019
- we average giving up more rushing yds per game in October than we do in November all 4 years.

Let's take a look at the overall season and split it by halves, then.
We played 13 games in 2016.
First 6 games, we gave up an avg. of 137.7 ypg
Last 7 games, we gave up an avg. of 117.8 ypg

We played 13 games in 2017.
First 6 games, we gave up an avg. of 183.2 ypg
Last 7 games, we gave up an avg. of 116.14 ypg

We played 13 games in 2018.
First 6 games, we gave up an avg. of 116.7 ypg
Last 7 games, we gave up an avg. of 180 ypg

We played 13 games in 2019
First 6 games, we gave up an avg. of 77.5 ypg
Last 7 games, we gave up an avg. of 146.29 ypg

So as you can see, the first 2 yrs, your theory is correct, if we break up the season by 1st and 2nd halves. The latter two years have been the direct opposite. As I stated, as the season has prolonged, our run defense have become less and less technically sound, and we've been exploited.

And you're willingly cherry picking stats that support your argument and ignoring those that don't.

I'm not willingly doing anything. Stats are stats, bruh. I learned from the D'Onforio years not to just hang your hat on total defense. My eyes tell me something totally different that what we pump out, and when you go beyond the numbers, you can see why or how we've dropped the ball on the defensive side, as well.

There are valid points for and against both sides of the ball. But from my perspective, the defense held it's own more often than not. Sure the D gave up some big plays, but far too often the O couldn't be relied upon to counter punch.

If our O can hold it's own more often than not and our D can maintain it's previous performance (adding a little consistency), we should be good enough to win the Coastal.

Advertisement
Horrible tackling on the reglar all season, DB’s looked lost and out of position- bad fundamentals really.
I been saying this, the defense sucks at the fundamental ****, and it gets mad annoying watching **** up the easy ****. The tackling is just so bad, even if they do make the tackle, the carrier carrier always falls forward, or they swing the guy 5 yards forward, helping him get a first down.

I been saying this, the defense sucks at the fundamental ****, and it gets mad annoying watching **** up the easy ****. The tackling is just so bad, even if they do make the tackle, the carrier carrier always falls forward, or they swing the guy 5 yards forward, helping him get a first down.
Yup, and I don’t know why some can’t just acknowledge the reality rather than make excuses. Shîtty tackling has been a glaring problem.

Isn't pointing out the 3rd and 17 against a horrible GT team doing exactly what you're saying? Cherry picking? Discounting the splash plays and focus on that big third down to judge is just as slanted a look as focusing on just the positive.

The defense gave up 7 total points in that game, zero in the second half. Wasn't a beautiful game defensively, it was sloppy and uninspired. But as is the case with 90% of our games, that unit had us in a position to win the game had our offense done literally anything to help us win.

As usual, one side of the ball completely failed and the other had to play perfect football to give us a chance.
There were a bunch of plays like that. Pointing out the plays and our inability to stop anyone when we need it is what I’m all about—encouraging people to watch the games and not get caught up in looking for stats to build a dopey internet case around.

Advertisement
Let's take a look at the overall season and split it by halves, then.
We played 13 games in 2016.
First 6 games, we gave up an avg. of 137.7 ypg
Last 7 games, we gave up an avg. of 117.8 ypg

We played 13 games in 2017.
First 6 games, we gave up an avg. of 183.2 ypg
Last 7 games, we gave up an avg. of 116.14 ypg

We played 13 games in 2018.
First 6 games, we gave up an avg. of 116.7 ypg
Last 7 games, we gave up an avg. of 180 ypg

We played 13 games in 2019
First 6 games, we gave up an avg. of 77.5 ypg
Last 7 games, we gave up an avg. of 146.29 ypg

So as you can see, the first 2 yrs, your theory is correct, if we break up the season by 1st and 2nd halves. The latter two years have been the direct opposite. As I stated, as the season has prolonged, our run defense have become less and less technically sound, and we've been exploited.

I agree with you about 2019. We got weaker as the season went on.

In 2018 I feel differently. I think the gap wasn't that big. The non-P5 games are skewing the stats early, and our horrific bowl game skew the stats late.

I'm not willingly doing anything. Stats are stats, bruh. I learned from the D'Onforio years not to just hang your hat on total defense. My eyes tell me something totally different that what we pump out, and when you go beyond the numbers, you can see why or how we've dropped the ball on the defensive side, as well.

You stated in your original post that LaTech "gashed" us for 174 yards on the ground.

In fact 107 of those yards came on three drives...and as I've already pointed out, two of those drives took place in the 4th quarter after our defense was exhausted and demoralized.

LaTech had 6 first downs on eight drives between their first TD and the start of their second TD drive...a span of more than 30 minutes of game time.

In those eight drives they had ONE first down on the ground, and it was on a 14 yard reverse which was 20% of the yardage they gained on the ground in that time frame.

Our defense effectively shut down their run game, actually their entire offense, for the vast majority of the game!

You tried to use the 174 number for it's shock value and totally ignored the context which is clearly that our defense had one bad drive in the first half and then shut LaTech down completely for eight drives in a row before finally succumbing to exhaustion in the 4th.

The defense is not a problem.

You stated in your original post that LaTech "gashed" us for 174 yards on the ground.

In fact 107 of those yards came on three drives...and as I've already pointed out, two of those drives took place in the 4th quarter after our defense was exhausted and demoralized.

LaTech had 6 first downs on eight drives between their first TD and the start of their second TD drive...a span of more than 30 minutes of game time.

In those eight drives they had ONE first down on the ground, and it was on a 14 yard reverse which was 20% of the yardage they gained on the ground in that time frame.

Our defense effectively shut down their run game, actually their entire offense, for the vast majority of the game!

You tried to use the 174 number for it's shock value and totally ignored the context which is clearly that our defense had one bad drive in the first half and then shut LaTech down completely for eight drives in a row before finally succumbing to exhaustion in the 4th.

Lol. Pretty sure I used other teams, throughout, but hey....can’t lead a horse to water.

Advertisement
Manny’s weakness against the run was sited before he was even hired. It cost him the gig at Texas and boy did Mack Brown know his weaknesses in 2019.

Lol. Pretty sure I used other teams, throughout, but hey....can’t lead a horse to water.

Like I said in my first post in this thread, I have neither the time nor the energy to break down every single game. You began this thread by claiming LaTech gashed us. Even you have to admit at this point that I've thoroughly debunked that...which calls into question your entire argument. I'm not going to waste any more time on this.

I agree with you about 2019. We got weaker as the season went on.

In 2018 I feel differently. I think the gap wasn't that big. The non-P5 games are skewing the stats early, and our horrific bowl game skew the stats late.

F it, BShaw....let’s take out the *** we gave up to Wisconsin in 2018....last 6 games, we still gave up an avg. of 155 yrds/game.

Bro, I know, I know....like I said, blame @D RevLee for making me rewatch the LA Tech game. We have a lot of **** stats that’s made our def look phenomenal: TFLs, Sacks, ypc, ypg, the T.O chain....but, the ypg against the run, the 3rd down conversions, the 4th down conversions have caused us to blow late game leads, including waning moments when the O took the lead. We have a really good defense, but we cannot pretend like this Def have been all world and does not have a share in our woes. It needs to be tighten up.

Like I said in my first post in this thread, I have neither the time nor the energy to break down every single game. You began this thread by claiming LaTech gashed us. Even you have to admit at this point that I've thoroughly debunked that...which calls into question your entire argument. I'm not going to waste any more time on this.

If you think you debunked anything, then let me show you my beach front properties in Compton, CA.

Advertisement
Back