A Trend That Must Stop

Rellyrell

Heisman Winner
Premium
So full disclosure, I blame @D RevLee for the inspiration of this thread. It's nothing he personally did, but he did post clips of the Miami v. LA Tech game asking how Brooks looked taking over for Pinckney. In doing so, I noticed some on going in season trends: missed tackles, extended drives, no push from the interior, and getting pushed off the L.O.S. I didn't realize that LA Tech gashed us for 174 on the ground that game.

This game got me curious as to a Manny Diaz led defense since his tenure here. We've been gloating about the TFL's and our total defensive numbers, but you may be surprised at an alarming trend; a trend to which the defense should be held just as culpable as the offense.

While our pass rush gets home, our run defense has been less than stellar during Diaz's entire tenure. But it doesn't always start off that way; when we begin the season, we are tough against the run, but somewhere between games 3-5 the wheels come off and they stay off. This is why we're **** poor on 3rd and 4th down defense, and this is why the T.O.P is so lopsided.

Peep this:
2016:
We began the year giving up an avg. of 34 ypg after our first 2 games
The next 11 games, we gave up an avg. of 151 ypg

2017 (Our best season in the last 16 yrs):
We began the year giving up an avg. of 111.5 ypg after our first 2 games
The next 11 games, we gave up an avg. of 154.5 ypg

2018:
We began the year giving up an avg of 78 ypg after our first 4 games
The next 9 games, we gave up an avg. of 172 ypg

2019:
We began the year giving up an avg of 60 ypg after our first 4 games
The next 9 games, we gave up an avg. of 139 ypg.

This trend has to stop if we are going to make it to the next level. This shows our defense's inability to get off the field, further exasperating our issues. No changes were made on the defensive side of the ball, and personally, I felt it was a mistake. The offense had glaring issues b/c it was just bad in all phases, but the defense got a pass b/c of the **** stats like TFLs, sacks, and the turnover chain was talked about. But since reaching #2 back in 2017, we've now gone sub .500 as a ball club between the latter part of 2017 - 2020. That's not just on the O, that's a team effort.

Advertisement
hard to judge the wheels falling off without adding who they've played and then compare it to the elite defenses around the country. imo, even the best Ds will be giving up yards and points nowadays. the offenses and pace have picked up around the country that its just bound to happen

You play the ****** fcs teams in the beginning of the year. It is the same across the country.
And yards per carry is more important than just listing rushing yards per game. For an example , 20 rushes for 140 yards looks a lot worse than let’s say 40 rushes for 140 yards. See how that drastically changes the context of giving up 140 yards just based on number of attempts? If you have a high rushing number of attempts you are going to give up around that mark. With that being said defense absolutely needs to help itself get off the field right away when opportunities present themselves

Advertisement
You play the ****** fcs teams in the beginning of the year. It is the same across the country.

Not all true bro.
2019, we played UF, UNC, BCU, and CMU (2 P5, 1 G5, 1 FCS)
2018, we played LSU, FIU, SSt, Toledo (1 P5, 2 G5, 1 FCS)
2017, we played BCU, Toledo, Duke, FSU (Ark St was cancelled) (1 FCS, 1 G5, 2 P5)
2016, we played FAMU, FAU, App St, GT (1 FCS, 2 G5, 1 P5)

And yards per carry is more important than just listing rushing yards per game. For an example , 20 rushes for 140 yards looks a lot worse than let’s say 40 rushes for 140 yards. If you have a high rushing number attempts you are going to give up around that mark. With that being said defense absolutely needs to help itself get off the field right away when opportunities present themselves

ypp, and ypg are equally detrimental. If one team is giving up 6.5 ypc, and another team is giving up 3.9 ypc, they both will equate to first downs. So if a team is slowly burning off 3.9 per carry, and we can't stop that, it's like death by a million cuts. Matter of fact, I would argue the allowing of 3.9 is more detrimental b/c it literally keeps your defense on the field, and the opposing team is methodically marching down the field. They'll be in a position of 3rd and short each time where the defense have to account for so many different options at the offense's disposal.

Hopefully our lack or putrid offense helps the other side out some but yes to your overall point ....

our defense is overrated and has been for quite some time. I’m sure some will disagree but whatever, it’s true. We feast and stat boost in this weak conference against bad offenses but we are boom or bust heavy. Hopefully things change and our ability to get pressure with our 2 ends so we aren’t as blitz happy helps things ...

Advertisement
Hopefully our lack or putrid offense helps the other side out some but yes to your overall point ....

our defense is overrated and has been for quite some time. I’m sure some will disagree but whatever, it’s true. We feast and stat boost in this weak conference against bad offenses but we are boom or bust heavy. Hopefully things change and our ability to get pressure with our 2 ends so we aren’t as blitz happy helps things ...

Baker bout to drop Roche in coverage, got us another CB.

LaTech gained close to 50% of their rushing yards on the final two drives of the game. Prior to those two drives our defense had stopped them on nine of ten drives. They gained 89 total yards on seven drives between their first scoring drive and those final two. Our defense was gassed and demoralized from watching our offense punt nine times and turn the ball over three times. As for the other 12 games, I don't have the time or energy right now to break them down but u can't just throw numbers out there without any context.

Our defense is not a problem.

Last edited:
Advertisement
LaTech gained close to 50% of their rushing yards on their final two drives of the game. Prior to those two drives our defense had stopped them on nine of ten drives. They gained a 89 total yards on seven drives between their first scoring drive and those final two. Our defense was gassed and demoralized from watching our offense punt nine times and turn the ball over three times. As for the other 12 games, I don't have the time or energy right now to break it down but u can't just throw numbers out there without and context.

Our defense is not a problem.
It’s not THE problem but they are A problem at times let’s be real about the situation

Advertisement
we keep ignoring the obvious for too long.
we need to look at our team objectively without bias and without the investment we’ve had in the so called “game changer“ recruit or definitely a day 1 pick despite not playing one game of p5 football.
We need to look at ourselves and take the “what would a playoff team do” approach to games and coaching decisions.
The first 5 games need to be blowouts. There’s no other way to look at it. The central Michigan game is the “we are what we thought we were” moment and we spent all season pretending it wasn’t.
A defense good enough to take us to the coastal but a huge qb problem and an even worse offensive scheme solution.
Just like the year before that savanah state 1st half was our canary in the coal mine moment. We should’ve had 3rd stringers in there at half time.
Can’t expect a defense to stay motivated playing close games and defending 80-90 plays a week with a thin db and lb room all season. Dudes were hurt and gassed and mentally checked out.

I don't go deep into statistics because ignorance is bliss. These numbers are a slap to reality. This crazy notion we have one thing to fix is far from reality. We have a long road. IMO
A fix in the offense is a step in the right direction but we to say that’s our only problem is super naive

Advertisement
Back