A quick update after talking to some people

This isn't about missing out on Barney. This is about vision and looking into the future.

Mario is an overachiever as a recruiter and an underachiever as a coach.

He needs to stack multiple top 5 classes if we want to legitimately compete for a national title again. Who cares about division (which don't exist in the ACC anymore) and conference championships.

Now he's behind and in a hole because how BAD he mismanaged last season. Last year's team was at worst an 8-4 team with the talent. Go back and look at preseason polls and projections. most media and fans had us 9-3 or better. The fact that he lost 7 games and most of them in EMBARRASSING fashion set us back several years and killed his own recruiting potential/momentum. I mean it was hard to watch us play most of the season. Blame it on the assistants, injuries, whatever. Bottom line is Mario was given 100% of everything he wanted and asked for and we got one of the worst products I've ever seen in my lifetime. Once again, we went 9 quarters without scoring a TD. More than 2 entire games.

Now he needs to overachieve on the field (which nobody expects) so he can recruit successfully. 10-2 to be able to recruit a top 5 class. Nobody would think 10-2 would be impossible if we went 9-3 last year. But we went 5-7 and everybody saw how bad of a coach he was so everybody is going to project a 7-5ish type record and call that "improvement". Well 7-5 doesn't help with recruiting.

Then what happens?

Who's gonna replace TVD in 2024?

Mario will recruit top 10-12ish classes and the spiral of mediocrity will continue. He's not a good enough coach to get us 10+ wins consistently with barely top 10 classes.

And this is in the trashy ACC where we should really only have 2 competitive games a year (FSU and UNC) when you look at talent acquisition/rosters. I haven't even mentioned what it'll look like if we move to the B1G and have to play the likes of Michigan, OSU, PSU and God forbid, Wisconsin on a yearly basis.

In my opinion the only way out of this death spiral is a 10-2 type season this year. Maybe 9-3 with all close losses and a few really good wins in there will help build some momentum. But if he goes 7-5 or even 8-4 with any embarrassing losses and embarrassing wins, I don't think it really gets us anywhere we haven't been for the last 2 decades.
Announce already we're leaving the ACC. That BiG 10 logo would help in so many ways. If we think the conference is dead and it's clear you don't think recruits can too. Time for bold action. Make some news Miami!

Advertisement
Welp, I got criticized for being pessimistic about our (DL) class. I thought we would be in better shape with Scott and breeland but after D’s report, I can envision a realistic scenario where we lose all of our top DL targets and end up with a class of Russell, Jackson and Pickett or something like that.
That last sentence would be totally unacceptable. Even Manny did better than that. It's going to get better because it has to.

Remember last year when all the talk was "Miami is committed to winning now, we're spending money now, yada yada." Yeah well that was all a bunch of bull****, wasn't it?

Texas A&M can tell you for a fact that line of thinking is bull****. They were in our exact same situation, they had a horrible season two years ago, and followed it up with the greatest recruiting class in the history of recruiting classes the very next cycle, headlined by a bunch of 5* defensive linemen. Por que? Because they spent big.

So the whole "we need to win" excuse is just more bull**** to keep y'all placated with a glimmer of hope, if we just win we'll land a great class. Then they'll let you down easy in February with "well it was just a little too late" or "they need to see more than one good season."

You want the truth, the truth is we're not landing big time recruits because we're not big time committed. The admin lied to you. It's the same old Miami as always.

We're not spending the NIL money we were last year. We had one guy dropping all the bags, and that guy is nowhere to be seen this year for various reasons. That's what it's about. Recruiting took a hit because John Ruiz went missing.

The last time I said something like this, I got thrown in purgatory for 6 months. So we'll see if y'all want this opinion silenced or not this time around. But the evidence is right in front of us all. You can either be duped by promises of a better tomorrow, or you can believe what's staring you right in the face, it's up to you.

Well, I agree with a lot of that, but one thing. The Ruiz info isn't spot on. He was louder than his contribution and that's all I'll say on it.

Having said that, if we had a bigger NIL game you'd see bigger results. We'd also have to pay a premium price, double or more than a lot of schools.

Lastly and maybe more importantly is a combo of two things. We **** the bed last year on the field. So you fire a bunch of coaches and we follow that up with G5 up and comers and a HOF coach who's never been here before. As for the OC and DC, recruits ask where were these guys before. Huh, never heard of you. Who have you developed?

So those hires better show it on the field or we're doubly screwed in the long run. Nevermind how long the **** process took. Everyone figured they'd be big names, but instead it's hopes and prayers everyone with a brain on their shoulders had to convince themselves it was a good hire.

Winning your way to better, it's real, but can we do it? Guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He gets Chance Robinson and now he’s amateur hour. Y’all boys funny. Y’all act we ever get big time WR. We haven’t gotten a big time WR since Ryan Moore lol. We can just hope they’re nice like Ahmmon Richards. So Relax on calling Beard out. Especially for a basic WR as this kid. Sheesh. We get a Aldarius Johnson, Malcolm Lewis, Mark Pope, Romero Brinson, Dee Wiggins, and so on and y’all see they don’t do shyttt and y’all complain. We get Frank Ladson and y’all call him trash. At some point y’all just gotta stop with the flip flopping. It’s not only on the WRs… our QB plays has been bad for a long time.

Also, take into account our QB. Really would you want to play for Jaccuri Brown, Williams, J. Anderson as your QB. Heck nah. Lol

You’re (and others) are focusing on the wrong things. Losing Barney kind of hurts but honestly, that’s not the alarming part of D$’s post. Losing a WR is expected due to the year we had. There’s only so much beard can do imo, to make up for the gattis disaster.

The alarming part is that we have the potential to get fleeced at DL. A position that Mario himself said was a priority and that he’d personally be involved in. We have a potential recruiter stud in JT leading the way and it’s a position of big need. To completely whiff there is about as alarming as it gets and places the importance on this year - a year where 8 wins might not cut it, imo.

There's no way around it. Miami is taking a beating right now. The Barney loss was a whiff on a kid we wanted badly in our backyard. I'm not very confident in Justin Scott, either. Miami remains in other premier battles (and is doing great work with Kamarion Franklin, JoJo Trader, Zaquan Patterson, Artavius Jones and others) but there is zero momentum. We need to win badly, and we are going to be playing from behind in recruiting for the next few months because we didn't win last year.

They believe the roster is a hundred times better than last year- that belief needs to turn into wins and momentum on the field. Hopefully, there is some good news off the field coming soon. Until then, everyone is right to be concerned because the results speak for themselves.
I completely understand what you are saying but this Barney thing baffles me for exactly the reason you said. Nebraska has been worse than us.

Advertisement
But if he goes 7-5 or even 8-4 with any embarrassing losses and embarrassing wins, I don't think it really gets us anywhere we haven't been for the last 2 decades.
The same place from a result’s perspective, but it cost $84MM to get the same results this time. You have no chance of getting rid of him anytime soon.

Last edited:
Recruiting is all about momentum, and we have absolutely none right now. Anyone who follows recruiting could sense early on there was something “amiss” about this class. A majority of the blue chippers just aren’t buying into Miami this year, and when you saw the product on the field last year you understand why. When you look at the top classes right now what do you see? A large portion of them had successful seasons last year. The only anomaly is Florida, and that’s because they’re buying their class. Anyone who’s spent time around kids these days realize they enjoy the hype, buzz, publicity, etc. and when you go 5-7 nobody is talking about you. Mario made his bed last year with poor hires and now he has to somehow find a way out of it. IMO, the magic number is at least 9 wins. If we go 6-6, or even 7-5, I think this class is in serious trouble.

Well, I agree with a lot of that, but one thing. The Ruiz info isn't spot on. He was louder than his contribution and that's all I'll say on it.

Having said that, if we had a bigger NIL game you'd see bigger results. We'd also have to pay a premium price, double or more than a lot of schools.

Lastly and maybe more importantly is a combo of two things. We **** the bed last year on the field. So you fire a bunch of coaches and we follow that up with G5 up and comers and a HOF coach who's never been here before. As for the OC and DC, recruits ask where were these guys before. Huh, never heard of you. Who have you developed?

So those hires better show it on the field or we're doubly screwed in the long run. Nevermind how long the **** process took. Everyone figured they'd be big names, but instead it's hopes and prayers everyone with a brain on their shoulders had to convince themselves it was a good hire.

Winning your way to better, it's real, but can we do it? Guess we'll see.

Miss me yet?

Advertisement
It’s almost like top 5 classes aren’t going to just sign here “because Mario”. The greatest salesman in the world can only sell so many **** sandwiches. Put an actual product on the field and kids will be lining up to play here. His half assed, pieced together staff last year set them back significantly. Now the pressure is on for the current guys to show significant improvement.

Coaching matters.

I didn’t even know Miami had a collective. In the end, the few super rich alumni supporting Miami’s NIL program can’t match the big public universities like Georgia and Ohio State that have more rich alumni AND thousands of other alumni/fans willing to give money to a collective to pay players.
Fact of the matter is the schools you mentioned and many others have had “collectives” for years. Ghostly figures that hand out cash in McDonalds bags and hand car keys to kids (among other prizes).

Miami is new to the game, has a lot of catching up to do, and because of the reasons you stated, will probably never reach the level of monetary “donations” the bag schools collect.

Reality’s a *****.

Advertisement
I hope you are right, but I am just going off usual stats. Most kids don't flip once committed.
I can't freaking believe a kid chooses Nebraska over Miami for college. That has to be all on Miami staff for him to do that. And I'm not slamming the kid, I don't do that but just blame has to be on the staff for that to happen.
Money. I don’t think we’re competitive on that front right now. There’s no other way to explain the gator vs us right now.

This has been obvious to anybody without the Orange and green glasses.

Mario Cristobal is an unapologetic star *****.

The idea that it’s part of his master plan to load up on middle of the road 3* recruits, is something Mario himself would laugh at.

The scary thing is the teams doing just fine on the trail after having the type of year we had last year.

This makes me think there’s something to the NIL angle.
Agreed. And if it is NIL related, then I just hope we have enough/ saving up for the big fish…

Advertisement
Back