A plea for South Florida residents to attend the NIT

RocketsandCanes

RocketsandCanes
Before I write this, I want to get the obvious out of the way.

1. Yes, I know it's the NIT
2. Yes, I know this team blew some HUGE chances against ND, Louisville, Providence, Green Bay, etc...
3. Yes, I know there is a ton of fun stuff to do in South Florida other than watch the NIT
4. Yes, I am annoyed teams like GA, UCLA, and Indiana got in the Big Dance over the U
5. Once again, yes, I know it's the NIT

Alright, now I get into why you, South Florida resident, should go watch the Canes Tuesday night at the BUC in the NIT. This team is talented, we all know that. The only player leaving the program is Joe Thomas who will be replaced by Oklahoma State's leading rebounder a year ago, Kamari Murphy. Next year's team should be formidable opponent in every game they play. So personally I believe Canes' fans should welcome and support the opportunity to play some more basketball. Barring possible injuries this experience can only help this squad. It gives them extra reps in practice, extra minutes of game experience, extra exposure to quality basketball teams (by that I mean better than the majority of our non-conference schedule). I am also a believer of momentum (so sue me). I honestly think a NIT championship would be a big confidence boost and positive momentum that would carry into next season. I would kill to be able to make this game, but unfortunately I live in Ohio. I try to make it to a game a year (ND this year, Loyola last) but I can only do so much. Go out, be loud, encourage those kids to get it done. Lastly, go Canes!

Advertisement
Before I write this, I want to get the obvious out of the way.

1. Yes, I know it's the NIT
2. Yes, I know this team blew some HUGE chances against ND, Louisville, Providence, Green Bay, etc...
3. Yes, I know there is a ton of fun stuff to do in South Florida other than watch the NIT
4. Yes, I am annoyed teams like GA, UCLA, and Indiana got in the Big Dance over the U
5. Once again, yes, I know it's the NIT

Alright, now I get into why you, South Florida resident, should go watch the Canes Tuesday night at the BUC in the NIT. This team is talented, we all know that. The only player leaving the program is Joe Thomas who will be replaced by Oklahoma State's leading rebounder a year ago, Kamari Murphy. Next year's team should be formidable opponent in every game they play. So personally I believe Canes' fans should welcome and support the opportunity to play some more basketball. Barring possible injuries this experience can only help this squad. It gives them extra reps in practice, extra minutes of game experience, extra exposure to quality basketball teams (by that I mean better than the majority of our non-conference schedule). I am also a believer of momentum (so sue me). I honestly think a NIT championship would be a big confidence boost and positive momentum that would carry into next season. I would kill to be able to make this game, but unfortunately I live in Ohio. I try to make it to a game a year (ND this year, Loyola last) but I can only do so much. Go out, be loud, encourage those kids to get it done. Lastly, go Canes!

Excellent post...the players need our support...btw, I've been to every game for the past 6 years, always a fun time.

I understand where OP is coming from. What upsets me, and what I can't get past, is the fact that the NIT is just one big Participation Trophy. We all know how we feel about those.

Last edited:
I am one of the most optimistic posters on here and i will say that from what i know about the Canes and history of NCAA teams snubbed that play in NIT, id expect a Loss. Majority of power conference teams just dont give it full effort and lose 1st game. If they can survive sleep walking thru the 1st game then they usually get focused and make a deep run at the NIT title. There's very little pressure and allows teams to play free with no expectations.

We'll win the first game on talent alone. We blew out Valpo two years ago, and then sleptwalked through the 2nd game at home against Minnesota and got pasted. I expect us to to beat Central and then lose in either Round 2 or 3 because we won't care and it'll be against a quality team.

Advertisement
Talk to me about tickets.

First time going to a game and all I see on StubHub are $23 seats in the upper deck.

Is Joe Thomas really the only player we lose for next yr's roster? I thought T Jekiri was a SR. Does he still have eligibility?

Advertisement
Sweet 16 or bust next season. Love the roster coming back and now they should realize the danger of being so inconsistent while also having a chip on their shoulder for getting the snub. Larrañaga will show his worth.

Nope. Haith or Clark could have taken the same team and gone nowhere with it. Failed, and the season is over.

NOBODY on Earth should care about the NIT.

Canes looking like they do not know how to finish. Up double digits, lead is only 4 with a minute left.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I actually might go to Sats game. It will be an early start but should be fun. Going to make for a long day seeing that Jazz in the Gardens is the same day.

And I agree that next years squad should be "the one". Larranaga has to know this is his shot to get back to the round of 16 with all the talent coming back. I predict we will be a top 2-3 team in the ACC and a top 25 team in the preseason rankings if we win the NIT.

I doubt we will ever be a top 2-3 team in the ACC preseason as long as Duke, UNC, Louisville, etc are in the conference. We should be Top 5.

I understand where OP is coming from. What upsets me, and what I can't get past, is the fact that the NIT is just one big Participation Trophy. We all know how we feel about those.

See, here's the problem with UM students and fans in general. This is the reason why we'll never have a home field advantage in B-ball or football, and why people will forever be whining about the Orange Bowl--because that structure gave us the advantage that the fans never could.

We got a b-ball team that far exceeded expectations this year. Picked to finish 10th in the ACC, we finished 6th, just missing out on a bid to the tourney because of the fact that the SEC and Big10 were overvalued while the ACC was undervalued in the RPI. We beat Duke by ******* 18 pts, took UVA to double OTs, stood toe-to-toe with UNC and Louisville...all of these teams are among the greats of NCAA basketball. And yet, we can't get **** for a turnout to the BUC.

We get to the NIT as a 2 seed and can't get **** for a turnout to our home games in the BUC...because the students (and local fans) feel like the team's a failure since they didn't make it to the tourney. Despite that, that team makes it through to the final 4 by beating a tough richmond team in a helluva second half comeback, and you still don't care, because it's "only" the NIT.

**** that ****. You guys suck. You don't deserve Coach L. You don't deserve to have a top-notch team. And you don't deserve a winning program in anything.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back