A plea for South Florida residents to attend the NIT

Notice the only negative ones crying about the basketball team are the same ones crying and whining about the football team in other forums. Real fans are proud of what the Hoops team has done. In fact NIT success has proven to be a great springboard for next season's NCAA Tourney. Not to mention all but Thomas is returning with Kamari and Lawerence added. This team will be absolutely Loaded. Plus if Jekirie improves a fraction of what he did from Soph-Junior year he will be a huge force.

Advertisement
I understand where OP is coming from. What upsets me, and what I can't get past, is the fact that the NIT is just one big Participation Trophy. We all know how we feel about those.

See, here's the problem with UM students and fans in general. This is the reason why we'll never have a home field advantage in B-ball or football, and why people will forever be whining about the Orange Bowl--because that structure gave us the advantage that the fans never could.

We got a b-ball team that far exceeded expectations this year. Picked to finish 10th in the ACC, we finished 6th, just missing out on a bid to the tourney because of the fact that the SEC and Big10 were overvalued while the ACC was undervalued in the RPI. We beat Duke by ****ing 18 pts, took UVA to double OTs, stood toe-to-toe with UNC and Louisville...all of these teams are among the greats of NCAA basketball. And yet, we can't get **** for a turnout to the BUC.

We get to the NIT as a 2 seed and can't get **** for a turnout to our home games in the BUC...because the students (and local fans) feel like the team's a failure since they didn't make it to the tourney. Despite that, that team makes it through to the final 4 by beating a tough richmond team in a helluva second half comeback, and you still don't care, because it's "only" the NIT.

**** that ****. You guys suck. You don't deserve Coach L. You don't deserve to have a top-notch team. And you don't deserve a winning program in anything.

Please don't tell me what I deserve or don't deserve. I've been to games all season long. I have always been a supporter. Yeah I am disappointed in missing out on the tourney, but I'm still rooting for those guys to win. I understand winning that tournament will get us some recognition and begin to elevate us in the basketball world. Please don't turn in one paragraph into me not deserving the team and being a bad fan. I clearly agreed with the OP. First sentence. My only reservation is that the NIT is a participation trophy tournament- I'm not wrong in saying that, because it is. Doesn't mean I won't root for them or hope they pull it out. It would be our first and a program booster.

I understand where OP is coming from. What upsets me, and what I can't get past, is the fact that the NIT is just one big Participation Trophy. We all know how we feel about those.

See, here's the problem with UM students and fans in general. This is the reason why we'll never have a home field advantage in B-ball or football, and why people will forever be whining about the Orange Bowl--because that structure gave us the advantage that the fans never could.

We got a b-ball team that far exceeded expectations this year. Picked to finish 10th in the ACC, we finished 6th, just missing out on a bid to the tourney because of the fact that the SEC and Big10 were overvalued while the ACC was undervalued in the RPI. We beat Duke by ****ing 18 pts, took UVA to double OTs, stood toe-to-toe with UNC and Louisville...all of these teams are among the greats of NCAA basketball. And yet, we can't get **** for a turnout to the BUC.

We get to the NIT as a 2 seed and can't get **** for a turnout to our home games in the BUC...because the students (and local fans) feel like the team's a failure since they didn't make it to the tourney. Despite that, that team makes it through to the final 4 by beating a tough richmond team in a helluva second half comeback, and you still don't care, because it's "only" the NIT.

**** that ****. You guys suck. You don't deserve Coach L. You don't deserve to have a top-notch team. And you don't deserve a winning program in anything.

Please don't tell me what I deserve or don't deserve. I've been to games all season long. I have always been a supporter. Yeah I am disappointed in missing out on the tourney, but I'm still rooting for those guys to win. I understand winning that tournament will get us some recognition and begin to elevate us in the basketball world. Please don't turn in one paragraph into me not deserving the team and being a bad fan. I clearly agreed with the OP. First sentence. My only reservation is that the NIT is a participation trophy tournament- I'm not wrong in saying that, because it is. Doesn't mean I won't root for them or hope they pull it out. It would be our first and a program booster.

Did you go to any of the NIT games?

No, I did not but its not because I didn't want to. I had things I needed to get done and couldn't attend. Not that I need to justify myself to you, but II spent all day Saturday working on a paper and project that I had to turn in this week.

There's 6 million people in south florida, and you're addressing the one person with the stones to call out the Athletic administration in person, at a basketball game.

Advertisement

There's 6 million people in south florida, and you're addressing the one person with the stones to call out the Athletic administration in person, at a basketball game.

Holding a sign or wearing a tshirt isn't calling out admin? I know the kid is people's Robin Hood hero on here and i think his intentions mean well so i dont wanna give him a hard time but in reality he did nothing but make things worse with his crusade and complaining.

Advertisement
Back