A myth that needs to die

I think there was a lot more working against him at FIU than his “ antics”. Kids changing in broom closets and having high school facilities with no money was a tad bigger issue. I used to mock him for his time at FIU until I actually saw what he was dealing with. From the AD on down. That was an absolute **** hole.
I was firmly against Mario primarily because of his FIU time. I think that's the negative impression most have of him.

Advertisement
The knock on Mario was “ he needs more time and experience at a bigger school. He does that and more yet we still pick it apart. This is a wacky fan base. I think some of y’all are being Skip Bayless types, just being contrarian to be contrarian. It’s not like we’re bringing a former cane home for the romance factor, we want to bring him home because he’s a cane that went out and proved himself. Just like we all wanted. Oh well, some of you guys won’t be happy regardless of the hire.
For those that have been around a while, the skepticism derives from PTSD suffered from previous hiring failures. I’m going to sit back and watch it all unfold then watch this board blow up like a nuclear bomb.

Advertisement
“Mario is only recruiting well at Oregon because of NIKE bags.”

I’ve seen this myth repeated a few times on the board. It is false. The reality is that Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there. Here is a comparison of Miami recruiting from 2008-2017 (last year before Mario). The national recruiting rankings are in parentheses:

2008- Miami (1), Oregon (34)

2009- Miami (16), Oregon (30)

2010- Miami (14), Oregon (12)

2011- Miami (33), Oregon (12)

2012- Miami (10), Oregon (14)

2013- Miami (14), Oregon (19)

2014- Miami (12), Oregon (21)

2015- Miami (27), Oregon (16)

2016- Miami (22), Oregon (27)

2017- Miami (12), Oregon (19)

10 years summary:

Miami ranked higher six times. Miami had two Top 10 classes, Oregon had zero. Miami had six Top 15 classes, Oregon had three. Miami’s average class rank was 16th, Oregon’s was 20th.

Now let’s look at the Mario years:

2018- Miami (8), Oregon (13)

2019- Miami (27), Oregon (7)

2020- Miami (17), Oregon (11)

2021- Miami (11), Oregon (6)

2022- Miami (60), Oregon (9)

Oregon has become one of the top recruiting programs in the country. I’ve heard the argument that this is only because the other Pac 12 teams fell off. The truth is that Oregon’s best class ever (6th) came in a year when USC ranked 7th. Obviously, it helps when your rivals suck, but it’s not why Oregon is so good.

Per someone who coached with Mario at Alabama and is now in the NFL, Mario is the “best recruiter he’s ever been around, period.” The Athletic just put out a huge article on recruiting with a bunch of anonymous coach quotes. Mario’s name came up the most, mainly because his personal involvement makes him so tough to beat. He was also national recruiter of the year as an assistant.

Recruiting is not the only criteria for a new coach. But make no mistake—Mario is as good of a recruiter as there is in the country, and it’s not because of Oregon bags.
So what are the chances of Mario coming to UM?

Does Mario's wife make that decision?

Dude has always been an elite recruiter

I’m not even from south Florida and I’ve heard that from people there
The thing is as a fan even myself...we have been so conditioned that when we get a new HC we expect to lose recruits in sfla to OSU bama UGA. Like it feels like that's what we expect no matter who comes here. Let's see when Mario gets the job if we are correct or things change on the trail.

Who are you putting in front of him?
Not SPC but I'd say he's right around 10.

Tier 1) Saban, Dabo, Riley, Smart, Jimbo - Championship level coach and recruiter
Tier 2) Day (maybe tier 1), Kiffin, Fitzgerald, Brian Kelly (maybe tier 1), Harbaugh, Gundy, Chryst, Whittingham

Cristobal probably fits in that tier 2 category. Clearly behind Day, Kelly, & Fitzgerald IMO. Making him 9th at best. Harbaugh, Gundy, Chryst, & Whittingham have done it longer at a comparable level. I think a playoff appearance and another PAC12 title puts him firmly ahead of Harbaugh, Gundy, Chryst, Whittingham, & Kiffin - they're all relative to me right now.

Fitzgerald is the harder one to gauge because of where he's at but I think he's one of the best.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The thing is as a fan even myself...we have been so conditioned that when we get a new HC we expect to lose recruits in sfla to OSU bama UGA. Like it feels like that's what we expect no matter who comes here. Let's see when Mario gets the job if we are correct or things change on the trail.
Things aint changing and if they do it won't have anything to do with Mario personally. It'll be about that Columbus Cabal raining cash down where it is needed. And they better too because his actual coaching aint getting him over the top

Things aint changing and if they do it won't have anything to do with Mario personally. It'll be about that Columbus Cabal raining cash down where it is needed. And they better too because his actual coaching aint getting him over the top
Mario has to out talent u....that's what all national title teams do out talent u. That play calling rah rah **** is for UCF. I want to destroy teams and u do that with talent.

Any potential AD that would be down with that idea should be instantly eliminated from contention and any AD worth his salt would remove themselves from consideration if that idea is floated as it would immediately indicate that the school isn't really committed to success.

I could see SOME morons at the school wondering aloud though about how bad would it be if we miss out on their #1 choice choice to replace Manny now to just keep him for a year with the plan to replace him with Lashlee as interim after our first bad loss while the search for their second choice continues.
1.You’re speaking as if they haven’t talked to Ad’s or have don’t have somebody in mind.
2. Majority schools have outside committees or inside committees that lead the search. Ad’s are just part of the ride.
3. As an example Tom Juric is worth his salt as an Ad and is out of work. He’d happily jump without hiring the football coach. So would Brian White, I mean if they went that route.

People here are arguing points and giving opinions without knowing what’s going on.

As I said people around the program knew Blake was gone for awhile , this didn’t just happen. Everything has been in the works.

Advertisement
For those that have been around a while, the skepticism derives from PTSD suffered from previous hiring failures. I’m going to sit back and watch it all unfold then watch this board blow up like a nuclear bomb.
This hiring is different from previous hires. This is the first time the school has attempted to take this **** serious and treat it like a business. Having an infrastructure with a plan is just as important as the HC. I’m more intrigued to see the long term plan. I want to see it so I can believe it.

1.You’re speaking as if they haven’t talked to Ad’s or have don’t have somebody in mind.
2. Majority schools have outside committees or inside committees that lead the search. Ad’s are just part of the ride.
3. As an example Tom Juric is worth his salt as an Ad and is out of work. He’d happily jump without hiring the football coach. So would Brian White, I mean if they went that route.

People here are arguing points and giving opinions without knowing what’s going on.

As I said people around the program knew Blake was gone for awhile , this didn’t just happen. Everything has been in the works.
Maybe thats why at best coaching hires are .500 in terms of success rate because you have people who don't have any idea what they're doing inserting themselves where they shouldn't be. Who at Miami has hired a successful coach? Even been part of a committee who provided good options? It hasn't happened since Coach L and he hired himself if the stories are true.

Maybe thats why at best coaching hires are .500 in terms of success rate because you have people who don't have any idea what they're doing inserting themselves where they shouldn't be.

That’s why i like the route Miami is supposedly going this time. Miami’s biggest issue in the past was worrying more about the price tag and non football people having a big say in the long term plan.

Advertisement
Back