A Look At 2024

Reading between the lines, sounded to me like L sees both Watson and Casey in limited roles focused on defense and rebounding. Sees both of them as remaining "offensively challenged." Pretty much what we saw last season where neither seemed comfortable taking shots.

Cleveland is set as a starter, Nwoko for major minutes from the start. George may take several months to toughen him up and get him acclimated, but hopefully will contribute as we move into the ACC schedule.

Advertisement
Reading between the lines, sounded to me like L sees both Watson and Casey in limited roles focused on defense and rebounding. Sees both of them as remaining "offensively challenged." Pretty much what we saw last season where neither seemed comfortable taking shots.

Cleveland is set as a starter, Nwoko for major minutes from the start. George may take several months to toughen him up and get him acclimated, but hopefully will contribute as we move into the ACC schedule.
If this is true, then maybe our team won't be as good as last year which is concerning if we want to make another deep run in the tourney. We need another portal transfer or 2. i am hoping Wooga, and Bensley make bigger jumps next season and Omier and Pack keep it going what they are already doing at end of last season. I am hoping George is better than expected especially on Offense.

I never quite understand the anxiety. Miami has four of the top six players back from a final four team and has landed at least one immediate contributor. Other teams have undergone change too. It is quite a different place when fans are concerned about not making it back to the final four.
Predicting deep runs into the tourney is setting ourselves up for disappointment. The tourney is partially a crap shoot. Let's focus on having another very good regular season (top 3 or 4 ACC team), and the rest will take care of itself.

Advertisement
Predicting deep runs into the tourney is setting ourselves up for disappointment. The tourney is partially a crap shoot. Let's focus on having another very good regular season (top 3 or 4 ACC team), and the rest will take care of itself.
Exactly, a couple different outcomes of plays against Drake and we very easily could've been out in the first round of the Tourney. Making a Final Four is fairytale stuff, even for Blue Blood programs.

Exactly, a couple different outcomes of plays against Drake and we very easily could've been out in the first round of the Tourney. Making a Final Four is fairytale stuff, even for Blue Blood programs.
Especially doing it two years in a row. Not saying it can't happen, but if that is our preseason expectation, we're likely setting ourselves up for disappointment.

CBS's two main national college basketball writers are doing a series this summer where they take a look at around 20 schools and do an early look ahead at them, and they covered Miami today. If you are interested in a national look on what people think of the Canes, it's a good listen. Gary does CBS's rankings and he has Miami ranked 10th, and both of them see Miami as a 24-7 type of team this season.

Just a heads up, they go on two tangents that are not Miami-related. One is related to their podcast between 2:15-5:20, and the other is a trivia question about coaches who took multiple schools to the Final Four (because Larranaga joined that club last season) between 10:15-16:55. If you just want the Miami-centric portions to listen to, those are the areas you can skip over.

Advertisement
CBS's two main national college basketball writers are doing a series this summer where they take a look at around 20 schools and do an early look ahead at them, and they covered Miami today. If you are interested in a national look on what people think of the Canes, it's a good listen. Gary does CBS's rankings and he has Miami ranked 10th, and both of them see Miami as a 24-7 type of team this season.

Just a heads up, they go on two tangents that are not Miami-related. One is related to their podcast between 2:15-5:20, and the other is a trivia question about coaches who took multiple schools to the Final Four (because Larranaga joined that club last season) between 10:15-16:55. If you just want the Miami-centric portions to listen to, those are the areas you can skip over.

Awesome. And thanks for the advice on which pieces to skip lol

1692209305266.png

Team Size

▪ UM basketball people are raving about guard Wooga Poplar; some wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the Canes’ leading scorer next season. And keep an eye on incoming freshman Swiss guard Kyshawn George, who had been playing in France’s second division. At 6-8, he’s a skilled scorer and passer, polished and able to play either guard spot or small forward.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...-of-miami/article278140652.html#storylink=cpy

A realistic goal each year should be to make the NCAAT. That's the measure of a successful vs disappointing season to me. Anything beyond that is gravy.
After the Elite 8 run, I said that Miami will get top 15 consideration (rankings & recruiting) if they can get at least three Sweet 16 appearances in the next five years.

Last years Final Four run accelerated things.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back