A letter to South Florida, from Matt Porter

Advertisement

OrdunaDrive

Freshman
Fun to read that, especially since he catches grief for being a Masshole Caneshater on occasion.

ShadowSpring

Junior
He catches a lot of **** on here. He's the best beat writer we have.

I've followed this guy ever since that Nebraska game we dropped on the road. He was the only reporter with the balls to ask Golden why he hasn't changed his defense since he's been here when in each game we give up 250 yards on the ground. Golden went silent.

Love the work Matt Porter does.

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Penance for forcing that reporting of that beyond minor violation to the NCAA. I'll take it. Well written piece.

Advertisement
He brought back memories.

My very first Orange Bowl game was 1984 against FSU. Miami got killed. FSU had 50 guys named Allen. I learned that Seminoles had to practice spelling their name lest they forget. Biggest comeback in college football history, at that point...was there for that too. And then Flutie to Phelan. Yup, there. It was the type of season where you decide, you choose, you steel yourself that, that’s. My. Team.

Confession: I’m one of the few people who will admit it, but I thought Jimmy Johnson was a bad hire. LOL. How wrong I was.

Go Canes! 8-0!

Southcane

Senior
I was waiting for the "get your **s to the game people and support your team" at the end but I didn't get that. Otherwise a very nice write up.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Sabetta

Junior
I'm from Buffalo and I remember watching the Flutie game in a bar/restaurant next to an OTB my mother and I were at all day. I was a Canes fan immediately after. I didn't care that they lost. There was something about that O&G that got me hooked. I was literally the kid in the starter jacket that MP talked about. I had something orange and green on in every middle/high school picture. I'm 41 now and recently got together with a bunch of old friends and my obsession with Miami came up. They asked how the fvck I became a fan of the U when they're all Duke, ND and Michigan fans. I couldn't remember my first memeory but this article brought it all back. I was also a white kid who played hockey/FB in an all white town who saw that game on TV and said, "that's me". My friends hated them, my coaches hated them but I didn't give a fvck. They're in my DNA.
Now when I'm out in the public and I'm wearing my Canes hat or sweatshirt, I still get looks and I've even had people say dumb **** to me - nothing racist but just stupid comments. I just smile, fire back a harmless comment and love the hate. There's something about the disrespect, being the outcast and being misunderstood that I thrive off of. It's done me well in life and I'm thankful for it.
Great article, it took me way back.

Clwtrdan

Freshman
I'm from Buffalo and I remember watching the Flutie game in a bar/restaurant next to an OTB my mother and I were at all day. I was a Canes fan immediately after. I didn't care that they lost. There was something about that O&G that got me hooked. I was literally the kid in the starter jacket that MP talked about. I had something orange and green on in every middle/high school picture. I'm 41 now and recently got together with a bunch of old friends and my obsession with Miami came up. They asked how the fvck I became a fan of the U when they're all Duke, ND and Michigan fans. I couldn't remember my first memeory but this article brought it all back. I was also a white kid who played hockey/FB in an all white town who saw that game on TV and said, "that's me". My friends hated them, my coaches hated them but I didn't give a fvck. They're in my DNA.
Now when I'm out in the public and I'm wearing my Canes hat or sweatshirt, I still get looks and I've even had people say dumb **** to me - nothing racist but just stupid comments. I just smile, fire back a harmless comment and love the hate. There's something about the disrespect, being the outcast and being misunderstood that I thrive off of. It's done me well in life and I'm thankful for it.
Great article, it took me way back.

I've been to meetings across the country where I'll show up from the plane wearing a hat and been asked what the hell I was wearing. Those guys are thugs! Yep. Maybe. But they're my thugs biotches.

g8rh8rMD

Not a Dr.
Maybe he’s come around, maybe he actually finally gets it. I’m willing to give him another shot now.

Still, watch your step, Matt. After that piece, if you step out your lane again, it’s it.