A Legendary Perspective on Game 1...

I wonder if Enos was rusty or just **** the bed. It would be even more troubling if he actually intended to play stall ball like that. Did we even run 65 plays yesterday? I hate stall ball. It comes off weak to me.

Im with you, and UM is about 10 years behind the pace(at least) in terms of tempo of play. We dont need to be Oregon under Chip Kelly, but geez, lets not be 1995 either.

I mentioned his in my other post, but physically some of our incoming freshman (like the trio from NY), I have to say, they look the part. Now, that doesn't mean they will be players, but there's something for Feeley and our coaches to mold there with those guys

also, our players were really into the game, engaged throughout, and I like the way they weren't just satisfied with this morale victory. That's one of the great things about those seats, yeah, you lose something in terms of vantage point in seeing the game but you gain other perspective you'd otherwise miss.

but lets see how much of this culture shift is real. Sept 7 will be telling

Last edited:
Advertisement
I feel like the dreadful offensive operation in the 2nd quarter is why we went away from all of the presnap motions and shifts. We couldn't get in and out of the huddle quick enough and if that was on Enos then he needs to clean it up. I didn't notice the pace of the play calls in the second half, but hte first half offensive operation, outside of a couple of drives, was pretty bad. It was cleaned up for the most part in the second half, but we also didn't do a lot of the shifts and motions either.

I'm not as down on Zion today as lots are. If you want to see turrrible go watch Campbell. Zion gave us enough last night and did about as well as probably could've been expected. I also think the CIS community undervalued Daphne and Greenard. As Chise said, the were the story for the gata last night. However Zion might be a good one and with a QB who likes to climb the pocket and has a natural flow to his game id like to keep Scaife at OG until Reed steps up and pushes him outside. I thought we were stout up the middle for the most part and allowed Jarren the time to step up. Also outside of a couple of really, really, really bad plays late i thought Zion gave us enough at the position. Our most successful runs seemed to pop when run that way. SOS at RT tho. I also think, as he's said himself, JW was responsible for at least half the sacks last night.

Once we had the success early with our quick passes and screens the gata adjusted and took it away. We had to pick our spots where to call it and i think we did a decent job there. I was surprized we didn't try to push the ball down the field more. The deepest passes thrown were the In's the KJ and JT.

Great post and completely agree.

We can win our division and the mistakes made last night are fixable. Time to see if we have coaches capable of doing that.

4 turnovers resulting in 3 points
Muffed punt
Missed field goal
Fake punt
UF making 4 4th downs
JT dropping that TD
135 penalty yards

I want to see this squad in November.

IMHO we did everything we could to give them the game. They didnt take it from us straight up.
Well put. This team will be far different at the end of the season than they were yesterday. Need to find a way to help the tackles and I think we get on a roll.

We should have attacked that guy with 1 extra guy rushing on almost every play. Instead, he had time to throw and our LBs were being forced to drop into a softish zone. Was maddening to watch. I think Baker thought our front 4 would apply pressure without help but that didn't happen especially when Garvin was tagged as a spy. DTs got little pressure/collapsing and Patch - as much as I love the guy - simply wasn't the answer. Going to need to disguise blitzers from here on out and send in the striker to add that extra rusher AND play hill/the big frenchman.
They will not have to do all that blitzing. Rousseau in his snaps got pressure and should have had 2 sacks. Hill can get after the qb. We have guys that can apply pressure but they have to get more reps.

We didn’t do anything close to that to their green OL. And that’s why they won.

McEltooth and Shytface Mullet either did a much better job evaluating 3 and 4 star OL than we’ve done, or they’ve coached them up better. The talent level at OL is supposedly very even if you listen to the rankings that everyone obsesses over.

I think people also need to realize that, even in today's game with more kids getting on the field early at all positions...there is a big difference between Freshman inexperience and junior inexperience. We were trotting out an 18 and 19 year old tackle.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Well put. This team will be far different at the end of the season than they were yesterday. Need to find a way to help the tackles and I think we get on a roll.

I know a loss is a loss, but I can honestly say this just feels MUCH different than last year in Dallas(and I was at both games)

Im excited to see how this team and staff grows this season

One thing that bithered me that I didn’t mention in the OP is the pace we played at. It was even slower than the Rickety era. We ran the play clock down Dean Smith style on almost every snap. And we had a bunch of delay penalties and TOs to avoid delays.

I was anticipating a much better pace under Enos.
That’s the one thing you can’t duplicate in practice. I don’t care how many drills you run. When it’s live and the crowd is going crazy that practice goes out the window. And not always necessarily with the QB getting the plays in but getting the other 10 players in position and ready. I just noticed s major lack of urgency and that needs to get fixed. I think it will. This was a huge stage for a lot of young players to get introduced to. But I think better now than rolling over Sh&tstain Tech in a 70-0 stomping where nobody proves anything other than being in a glorified scrimmage.

Enos has a bad showing last night. Both play calling and struggling to get the plays in. This team has potential though, I don’t see us losing to any teams that aren’t elite on the D line. If the o line holds up we can be dangerous

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back