A Late Fireside Chat With Your Dear Legend

1605541368478.png

Advertisement
I saw Baker signaling plays in in the 2nd half. So I'm not sure I'm buying the Manny calling plays stuff. We hear the same stuff every year with our HCs.

I'm not sure guys like Muschimp and Brown are what they used to be. We've been burned before hiring guys on the downside of their careers. I'd got get Marcus Freeman from Cincinnati. I love the way they get after it.

I want the Cincy RB coach.

1605541547584.png

Been around this program way too long and endured the recent recessions and depressions.....for me not to take ANY WIN this season HOWEVER we can get it.

For me, a win now doesn't need to be pretty or overwhelming. Especially when you consider the alternatives we've seen so often recently.

Sure things could be better...it also could be much worse....so the fact is we're exactly what we seem to be out there....a team still finding its way. A team learning how to win.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If there's any hope for Diaz it's a comparison to Booch. Booch was a **** game day coach and not a great motivator. His teams regularly came out flat and play uninspired, and he often lost games to less talented teams. I've heard all the 31 scholarship stuff ad nauseam from the Booch butt sniffers, but he regularly got waxed by less talented teams. Finally, he was able to put together enough of a team to overcome himself for the most part.

That's my hope with Mabo Diaz. Win enough to start building momentum and getting players. I'm not sure he's a great evaluator like Booch was, but he's probably a better game day coach. So maybe that stuff will even out. Problem with dicey evaluators is that they can start racking up momentum and signing higher rated recruits, but they might sign the WRONG ones. We'll see how it goes, but it's definitely more fun to be pulling these out than to be losing them.

What the fck is going on with CB recruiting? Yikes!
1) There is a certain chef in the middle of Orlando typing out threats to fight you and deleting them. Be wary, friend.
2) We will see if Manny has Butch's self awareness this offseason and has his "Bill Miller Moment". No friends, all business, and if Manny likes living the Miami high-life while collecting $3m+ a year, he has to improve that side of the ball and find his Schiano.

The play chise mentioned I saw that **** and thought wow Hall is bad. I know exactly the play he's talking about and I shook my head like wow this is who Hall is? I thought for sure he would be a baller but Saban wanted Jobe more.....Hall hips are stiff and he looks slow af.
That's one of the plays that had me jumping up and down screaming at the TV like a lunatic. I couldn't believe he didn't trust his athleticism enough to run up and make that tackle. Instead he mirrored him like you'd see a Kicker do when the Kicker is trying to guide someone out of bounds. He gave away a new set of downs.

On the first drive of the game Hall blowed a tackle on number 83 in a very similar circumstance. Twice he managed to miss the ball carrier and allow a first down. Safety play has been horrid. So bad that I'm not sure if moving Keontra to striker was the right move. Maybe move Frierson to safety and let Smith play striker? Move Blades to FS? I don't know...but get Hall, Bolden and Carter out of my sight.

Bolden had his twitter moment with the bleeding down his face and is now playing like hes bleeding between the legs

Hall has been terrible all season

James Williams and Kinchens are starting safeties next year @Liberty City El
Manny aint starting no freshmen at SS or FS no matter how much they out-talent the current upper classmen

Advertisement
That's one of the plays that had me jumping up and down screaming at the TV like a lunatic. I couldn't believe he didn't trust his athleticism enough to run up and make that tackle. Instead he mirrored him like you'd see a Kicker do when the Kicker is trying to guide someone out of bounds. He gave away a new set of downs.
I didn't even get mad cause I expected that....I was so confused as to why he just gave him the sideline for an easy first down. I'm like wait what's going on with Hall.....should of attacked and force him inside or something.....it just looked so passive. He had him squared up....it felt like the slogan trust your training was in his head right at the time he had to make a play.

I do not think he is as physically slow as the game tape suggests which leads me to think its mental. Either checked out or just thinking too much. If you watch the last play with that lateral BS, he actually plays it perfectly then looks shot out of a cannon to help Phillips make the final tackle. The first time I saw him explode into a player all game and it was on some backyard BS type play.

Great stuff as always Chise. Agree on Bolden. Dude has either hit a wall or he's playing hurt. The undisciplined nature of this team annoys the **** out of me. That unsportsmanlike against Bolden right after Phillips got done disembowling Hooker setting up 3rd and 19 was pure selfish, brain dead undisciplined horse **** and Diaz is a phucking cuck for putting up with it.

There is no excuse for having the type of issues we do in the back seven. The level of speed and talent at LB and in the secondary is a **** disgrace. We're got kids that can run like Huff, and Cave but they mostly never play. The CB group as a whole in terms of depth and everything else is the result of gross negligence and/or incompetence and Rumph has to go right along with Beeker.

Why are we constantly coached by gutless cowards? What is it about UM that has turned us into a shrine for Woody Hayes? Why do all our coaches seem to love "taking the air out of the football" as you like to say? That sequence before the half and especially the Buck sweep play call on 3rd and 5 with a chance to ice the game was pure gutlessness if that is even a word. Our offense may have some holes yes but we are perfectly capable of picking up 5 yards to ice a game against a garbage VT defense. Why? I just don't understand this insistence of playing tentative and timid play not to lose football. Sometimes the conservative route is the smart way to go but Diaz wouldn't know that without consulting his analytics cheat sheet. Going for 2 on our last 2 TDs were also amateurish calls for obvious reasons.

Believe it or not I am enjoying this season. Like you said, I know that we are not really going to challenge for a conference or national championship this year but that doesn't mean I don't love watching our kids play every Saturday. Lashlee and King have made a huge difference in this team and I'm enjoying every minute of it especially considering the disaster that was 2019. Had you told me after FIU last year that we would be in this position this year I would have laughed in your face. Now, wether we finish 10-1 or 8-3 Diaz has got to do the same thing he did with the offense last year to the defense this year. It doesn't take a football nerd to realize just how pedestrian our coaching staff is on the Defensive side of the ball. Beeker has to go along with practically every position coach on that side. I'm all in on your suggestion of grabbing Freeman from Cincinnati. I think he would be perfect for us. I also love the DC at Wisconsin Leonard but not sure how feasible that would be. I'd also consider Corey Raymond from LSU even if he has never been a DC since the coaching acumen, recruiting ability and potential connections he would bring would be considerable. Just get Beeker out of my face!

We're obviously not in that first tier but the frustrating thing is that we all know that given the right type of leadership this U has the resources necessary to get there again. No matter as I am still thoroughly enjoying this season. The opportunity to take care of business vs GT and Wake to set up a potential revenge scenario showdown with UNC that could see us at 10-1 To finish the season is something that could serve to give this program a much needed shot in the arm in terms of national attention and perception. These are the types of games that built this program. A 10-1 regular season would do wonders for recruiting. It's been very enjoyable thus far. I'm all in.
Good stuff, dude. I forgot to even mention Bolden's disgraceful personal foul. That was a turnover. I see those drive extenders as turnovers.

As for DC candidates, Jim Leonard is the best in the game right now, but he'll be a HC next year. That dude's a star in the making. I wouldn't hire Corey Raymond to be DC for the same reason I wouldn't hire Dameyune Craig to be OC. These dudes are great recruiters, but neither has risen above position coach, and they've both been coaching for a long *** time.

@TimeB0mb I'm very well aware that Raymond has never been a DC before but I would not label him inexperienced in terms of being a defensive coach at a big time program. Since we're not necessarily the type of program that succeeds going after the big name experienced coordinators I would view Raymond as an acceptable type of risk. Raymond is considered one of if not the best DB coach in all of college football. He is also an elite recruiter who has coached under some very accomplished DCs such as David Aradna, John Chavis and Kevin Steele. I'm in complete agreement regarding us hiring a DC with experience. That would obviously be a huge preference. Did not remember that Leonard runs a 3-4 so I concur in terms of potential fit. Could he switch to a 4-3 base? I'm not the person to ask as far as how realistic and/or feasable that would be for a DC. Ultimately I believe that Marcus Freeman would be an excellent choice. Don Brown is certainly experienced but isn't he a 100 years old by now? lol
You can run a 3-4 here with tremendous success; it just can't be the Al Groh/Dorito/Folden read and react patty cake 3-4. There are 3-4 defenses that are hyper aggressive.

Advertisement
@The Franchise You think Baker is gone at year end? You would think so right?
Diaz will need to fire one of his sons in Baker. That'll prove some mettle because, yes, he's fired some coaches, but they've all been guys he barely knows. I have no idea if he'll fire him or not, but he should. You know what else he should do? Expand his horizons and hire a DC who runs his own D, not just a Diaz disciple.

I agree that it’s fun to actually care about the games again. I was fired up watching the game on TV. I’m aware of the gap between the really good teams and us talent wise but the way to close that gap is by stringing together winning seasons and gradually attracting more and more of the top recruits. It’s just easier to convince a kid to come after a ten win season than after going 6-7.
Whew, that interior O line is still trash though. Scaife is our worst lineman and that fat white guy from VT beat him like dog all day.
Scaife basically got stomped by some goofball you'd see at a ****** rally screaming about conspiracies. Dude looked like an out of work motorcycle mechanic who defaulted on his Devrie Institute "student" loan.

All very original thoughts. Do you still have your Al Golden fat head up in your bedroom?
You would know what was in my bedroom if I didn't have your face buried in the pillow the whole time you were in there. Next time, I might let you lay on your back with your ankles pinned behind your ears so you can get the full panoramic view.

Advertisement
For a scheme that relies so heavily on our safeties being aggressive and cleaning up the poor discipline in the front 7 they sure have been crap lately. Very timid and a step or two late to read plays. Asking them to play 2 high too often as well.

1) There is a certain chef in the middle of Orlando typing out threats to fight you and deleting them. Be wary, friend.
2) We will see if Manny has Butch's self awareness this offseason and has his "Bill Miller Moment". No friends, all business, and if Manny likes living the Miami high-life while collecting $3m+ a year, he has to improve that side of the ball and find his Schiano.
Agreed, but Booch kept Miller way too long. And Schiano didn't exactly light the world on fire. He was OK, but he wasn't a top DC. Booch got it turned when there was just too much talent to keep losing to ****** Big East teams and East Carolina types.

There has been little reference to the players out for the VATech game and how it could have impacted the game. The VATech DTs abused us and we couldn’t substitute the guards. The OL needs a major change with Rivers and Campbell starting. Phillips and Roche practically played entire game without Harvey and Chantz. We lacked Hunte and backups at DT and LB. We still found a way to win which is all that matters. This season COVID has impacted all teams and many teams have checked out.

Advertisement
Back