A good fit

I want a coach that establishes an underdog culture like the one we used to have in the early 80s. Back then, we werent the best team at all, we were lucky that the university did not decide to fold the program and there was no bling bling and massive "swagger" involved.

Players need to come in and play with a chip on their shoulder again. No more rings or chains.

Advertisement
One has to admit Golden's death knell was his loyalty to his buddy D'No over success of the program. In many ways, so was Richt's issue with his son, Jon. Similar to Bobby Bowden with his son.

In fact, college coaching is such an incestuous business that keeps friends and family fed at many levels. Any wonder why so many coaching failures keep getting recycled year after year.

Give me a coach that is obsessed with winning and has eyes on the next level. That person has the best chance of succeeding here.

Sadly, I was hoodwinked into thinking Manny and Golden had potential to break free and succeed at Miami..... but screwed it up through wrong personnel decisions and lack willingness to change their pet systems though broken.

Radio and Coker, I must agree were bonafide disasters who had no business being HCs.

Last edited:
Brethren, I asked the same ?. What does a good fit even mean?

Give me a guy who can coach, and comes from a winning culture. Also give me a guy who wasn’t f’ing fired at his previous gig.
All right, Jesus, let me ask you a question.

You're black, I'm white, this is green.

When making a business decision, the only color that matters is green.

Now, do you consider yourself a man or a boy?

Because men make decisions with their mind.

Boys make decisions with their heart, Jesus.

I keep seeing people say this coach or that coach isn’t a good fit. That’s bullsh#t. There is only one culture that matters. A winning culture. A good coach and staff will make it work. It doesn’t matter where they are from. Saban coached at multiple schools and made it work everywhere. Meyer was in Utah Florida and Ohio. Those are all way different places. He made it work. Kids want to win! They don’t give a crap about the cultural background of the coach. I hate when I see people type cultural fit. Hire a winner. The team will take on a winning culture, simple as that.
When we throw good fit around all it means is can someone win here. They could lose somewhere else but win here....that's all that really means. For example they could win somewhere else or lose here.

Advertisement
Brethren, I asked the same ?. What does a good fit even mean?

Give me a guy who can coach, and comes from a winning culture. Also give me a guy who wasn’t f’ing fired at his previous gig.
Yup. It’s kinda funny I see some of the things people want in a coach and I’m thinking “yeah we tried that”

People have short memories

I agree with you completely. I’m actually a Herman fan (or was like most) but I don’t want him as our coach.

The ***** of it for me is I thought Golden for a lot of those things I was hoping for and I still kinda lean that route (realistically) but with a better winning pedigree than he had

But all of these “fits” I see I’m like **** that describes one of our last failed hires

Advertisement
You have to be a special kind of **** coach to fail at Miami. Honestly. Tradition, national brand, the city of Miami AND the most fertile recruiting territory in the country in our own backyard.

And we've completely ****ed it with the last 4.5 coaches. Richt is the 0.5. We almost had it with him but his health/archaic playbook/hiring of Jr and Diaz set us back years.

When you look at it objectively, there should be 30 for 30s made on how the Administration has failed the University of Miami.

Kids are so impressionable that it doesn’t matter what the HC background is as long as they win. For a program like Miami it’s honestly probably better to have an outside personality/culture come in. Forces the players to adapt and mature a bit. If its the same culture they have known their whole playing careers there is no real growth and that’s when complacent behavior happens.

It's like hiring Manny instead of doing a coaching search and finding an actual head coach. Manny was the Miami guy and had the ties but had no HC experience.

If it's not Mario, there's not another 'Miami guy' that I would want. Just hire the best coach out there that will come.

I've went back and forth on the idea of a 'fit' for a while now. I was bought into it at first but I think it just comes down to hiring someone to win and get it back on track. Jimmy, Dennis, and Butch didn't look like a fit when it happened. Jimbo Fisher was a fit for FSU culturally but you never would have thought that he would be the most respected coach in recruiting South Florida but he was.

Just hire a good coach and get him some good assistants that have recruited the area before and some guys that know the landscape. It'll work itself out.

Just hire a good coach and get him some good assistants that have recruited the area before and some guys that know the landscape. It'll work itself out.
I agree.

I do not get behind a certain coach. Just bring in the best possible coach after doing a proper search. If coach A does not want to come, fine, move on to the next. The guy should be well vetted even if it is Mario.

What none of us should want is them picking a guy (even if it’s your fav coach) before even talking to anyone or everyone. If they go discount coach again, I will be dead before this program even smells relevancy again.

Just do it right, pick a proper coach and I will support the hire even if it is the number 5 or 6 choice.

Advertisement
There are some great coaches that transcend "fit." They'd win anywhere. Saban, Meyer, Lincoln Riley, Dabo, etc. would likely win just about anywhere.

For the next tier of coaches, "fit" matters, particularly because we have unique challenges and advantages that other schools don't have.

Advertisement
One has to admit Golden's death knell was his loyalty to his buddy D'No over success of the program. In many ways, so was Richt's issue with his son, Jon. Similar to Bobby Bowden with his son.

In fact, college coaching is such an incestuous business that keeps friends and family fed at many levels. Any wonder why so many coaching failures keep getting recycled year after year.

Give me a coach that is obsessed with winning and has eyes on the next level. That person has the best chance of succeeding here.

Sadly, I was hoodwinked into thinking Manny and Golden had potential to break free and succeed at Miami..... but screwed it up through wrong personnel decisions and lack willingness to change their pet systems though broken.

Radio and Coker, I must agree were bonafide disasters who had no business being HCs.
a4c30a4c9cde3ed5ce8319cdbc635f56

You have to be a special kind of **** coach to fail at Miami. Honestly. Tradition, national brand, the city of Miami AND the most fertile recruiting territory in the country in our own backyard.

And we've completely ****ed it with the last 4.5 coaches. Richt is the 0.5. We almost had it with him but his health/archaic playbook/hiring of Jr and Diaz set us back years.

When you look at it objectively, there should be 30 for 30s made on how the Administration has failed the University of Miami.
All of this !!

I’ve flip flopped a bit on this but I am now all on the Hugh Freeze train. He just seems to be a great fit. Incredible offensive mind, had success at Ole Miss, had some personal issues he’s straightened out. Got back to Liberty and having success. He’s ready for a resurgence and what better place then the U? I really think he’s destined to the NFL after he proves he can win a lot of games consistently in his next stop in the power 5. That has been our history of coaches who elevate this program into a national power. I think it makes the most sense.

Advertisement
Back