A good fit

verobeachcane

Recruit
Banned
I keep seeing people say this coach or that coach isn’t a good fit. That’s bullsh#t. There is only one culture that matters. A winning culture. A good coach and staff will make it work. It doesn’t matter where they are from. Saban coached at multiple schools and made it work everywhere. Meyer was in Utah Florida and Ohio. Those are all way different places. He made it work. Kids want to win! They don’t give a crap about the cultural background of the coach. I hate when I see people type cultural fit. Hire a winner. The team will take on a winning culture, simple as that.

Advertisement
I keep seeing people say this coach or that coach isn’t a good fit. That’s bullsh#t. There is only one culture that matters. A winning culture. A good coach and staff will make it work. It doesn’t matter where they are from. Saban coached at multiple schools and made it work everywhere. Meyer was in Utah Florida and Ohio. Those are all way different places. He made it work. Kids want to win! They don’t give a crap about the cultural background of the coach. I hate when I see people type cultural fit. Hire a winner. The team will take on a winning culture, simple as that.
Brethren, I asked the same ?. What does a good fit even mean?

Give me a guy who can coach, and comes from a winning culture. Also give me a guy who wasn’t f’ing fired at his previous gig.

Excellent points, but as long as this is a school and area where self-aggrandized "talent" come as much (or maybe more) for the Area & Diversions, the Tradition, the NFL stepping-stones, and maybe the N.I.L> now, and think "gotcha" is fine for a Knute Rockne coach rather than Yessir, it's going to take a special and strong yet sensitive coach to make it work...

...ya wanna recruit someone overtly happy to make hard work and football their life, for a no-distraction Tuscaloosa or Norman, Oklahoma type of college career, your gonna need some Bags or other incentives, and Good Luck finding any top talent left not scooped up by the current Perennial Powers.

Ya don't want to call that "The Culture" fine... but when the Coach Search doesn't give this it's due, the "winning" may be elusive.

Advertisement
Excellent points, but as long as this is a school and area where self-aggrandized "talent" come as much (or maybe more) for the Area & Diversions, the Tradition, the NFL stepping-stones, and maybe the N.I.L> now, and think "gotcha" is fine for a Knute Rockne coach rather than Yessir, it's going to take a special and strong yet sensitive coach to make it work...

...ya wanna recruit someone overtly happy to make hard work and football their life, for a no-distraction Tuscaloosa or Norman, Oklahoma type of college career, your gonna need some Bags or other incentives, and Good Luck finding any top talent left not scooped up by the current Perennial Powers.

Ya don't want to call that "The Culture" fine... but when the Coach Search doesn't give this it's due, the "winning" may be elusive.
Norman is right next to Oklahoma City. It is part of a metro area of 1.5 million. It is not a good example of a place with "no distractions."

100 percent why I DONT want Cristobal

I think this is the first time in over a decade I’ve strongly disagreed with your opinion. Mario is a winner who just so happens to be a good fit.

Focus on the winner side if you don’t like the fit argument. With his recruiting prowess and the fact he’ll bring in an exceptional staff, we’ll be perennial top 10 under him IMHO.

There are good coaches who aren’t good fits for Miami.

Chris Peterson is a good coach, but he would hate Miami. He’s been in the west his entire career and has said he prefers a less urban setting.

Al Golden was a terrible fit. He was a bad coach as well, but everything he tried to do was the antithesis of Miami.

Great coaches can overcome a lot, but certain guys will fit in better at certain places allowing them to thrive.

Advertisement
Exhibit A: Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson both considered “country” and both won national championships and redefined college football. JJ with speed and Erickson with the one-back offense.

Exhibit B: Randy Shannon and Manny Diaz. Both are from Miami and can relate first-hand to the culture. Both coaches were popular with the players and considered player-friendly coaches. Manny in particular embraced the swag of the program. Shannon played high school ball at Norland. Both failed miserably.

My point is that it is not about fit as it is about being a really freakin’ good coach who understands what it takes to win. You win in this town and you are the king. Above all other sports including the professional teams. It doesn’t matter where you are from.

Cultural fit is a plus, not a prerequisite for employment or success.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think this is the first time in over a decade I’ve strongly disagreed with your opinion. Mario is a winner who just so happens to be a good fit.

Focus on the winner side if you don’t like the fit argument. With his recruiting prowess and the fact he’ll bring in an exceptional staff, we’ll be perennial top 10 under him IMHO.

Im just sick of the "fit" guy or a "Miami guy" who understands recruiting. I think we have gotten stuck with that almost like Michigan. So i want to move awayyyyy from it totally.

Dont want the live int he past crew (Miami alumni)...who are stuck in it. They are the same other guys who pined for Coker and Randy Shannon.

Just want a coach who wants to do that....COACH.

Get me a young up n comer or go grab someone from an established program.

We’ve never had a “Miami” guy be successful in leading our troops.

We need an alpha that can evaluate talent, develop players, assemble a top tier staff, coach and recruit, while holding players accountable, and who makes practices harder than the games. It doesn’t matter where he’s from.

Howard, J.J., Dennis and Butch would have all been seen as not good fits by many on this board, yet they all excelled here.

You just named 2 of the 3 best cab head coaches this millennium (Carrol being the third).

Guys like that can win anywhere, but most guys can’t. Every coach can’t win everywhere. Style matters. If Golden went Big 10 instead of here, he might still be a head coach.

We need a guy who fits our recruiting base and identity. Many people are not cut out for life in south Florida and it will lead to losses trying to overlook that.

Advertisement
Exhibit A: Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson both considered “country” and both won national championships and redefined college football. JJ with speed and Erickson with the one-back offense.

Exhibit B: Randy Shannon and Manny Diaz. Both are from Miami and can relate first-hand to the culture. Both coaches were popular with the players and considered player-friendly coaches. Manny in particular embraced the swag of the program. Shannon played high school ball at Norland. Both failed miserably.

My point is that it is not about fit as it is about being a really freakin’ good coach who understands what it takes to win. You win in this town and you are the king. Above all other sports including the professional teams. It doesn’t matter where you are from.

Country works really well in Miami. It is the south after all.

It matters that a coach embraces the unique lifestyle here. The coach’s play style and charecter are more important than his persona.

We need a balanced, pass to run spread offense. We need an aggressive, but disciplined, single gap defense that leans to physical man coverage. We need a guy who has real confidence, commands respect, and holds players accountable. He needs to be flexible year to year and game to game to adjust to his current roster.

There are good football coaches who don’t fit any of that criteria and would bomb here. There are others who do fit that criteria and would outperform their previous record here.

Good post. Only parts missing is a "go get em" and complimentary slap on dat aşş

Bingo!!!!

Your examples weren’t good coaches cause they had no experience not because they were a bad fit

Advertisement
Back