A few scrimmage nuggets

Balom?

I do think Hightower you can definitely include, because he’s a transfer, or a portal transfer, in this case the same thing. I just don’t include graduate transfer, that’s different than a portal player. And the franchise was talking about portal players.
I think Ezzard is supposed to start @ GT this season too. To your original point though, not many kids have left and done well. Brian Hightower and Christian Williams are the only 2 transfers that would've probably seen significant playing time here.

Advertisement
I think Ezzard is supposed to start @ GT this season too. To your original point though, not many kids have left and done well. Brian Hightower and Christian Williams are the only 2 transfers that would've probably seen significant playing time here.

I’m not even sure what Christian Williams is doing right now. That whole situation was just strange.

No they were all GT. I think Balom and Hightower will get some pt this season, but I can't think of any other transfers that have done anything. The TE at Oregon (DJ Johnson?) maybe.

Hard to judge Hightower.

He jumped from the frying pan into the fire.

Illinois has MUCH worse quarterback play than even we did. Those guys make Malik Rosier look like a good quarterback. They make Jarren look like Kyler Murray.

It's not. He played this past season and had some good moments.

He only played in 5 games this past season and only had 10 catches for 113 yards and 3 TDs, with 1/2 his catches and just about 1/2 his yards coming in his first game against Stanford. Included in these stats is only one catch for 8 yards in Oregon’s season ending bowl game.

Thats an insufficient sample size and those stats (even with what you say are his “some good moments”) do not rise to the level of a player that had great success.

He may or may not turn out to be a transfer who has great success, but it’s clearly premature to label him such at this time. Accordingly my original post comments about seeing how he performs next season.

Advertisement
Hard to judge Hightower.

He jumped from the frying pan into the fire.

Illinois has MUCH worse quarterback play than even we did. Those guys make Malik Rosier look like a good quarterback. They make Jarren look like Kyler Murray.
We still making excuses for this dude? When will it be fair to judge him? He’s the one who chose to go to stank *** Illinois.

We still making excuses for this dude? When will it be fair to judge him? He’s the one who chose to go to stank *** Illinois.

I don’t think he is some world beating talent, but he is definitely better than his numbers so far. He would have helped us last year without a doubt. He has good yards per reception but few catches. His three qbs were 49%,41%, and 50% on the year. The leading receiver had 22 catches to Hightower’s 11, but Hightower was much more explosive.

The favoritism with Pope and Wiggins didn’t sit well with him, so he bounced. I can’t blame him, especially after what we saw last year that has most of the board trying to run 6 and 8 off with torches and pitchforks.

The situation should be an example showed to other players to shut up stay focused, stay positive, and not be distracted by things out of your control. Work hard and be ready to take advantage of any opportunity. He could have become a household name vs Okie State and taken full control of the receiver room.

The grass ain’t always greener, and things can always be worse. Don’t mope. Keep grinding. The opportunity will find you. He made a rash decision, hit the portal with no production and ended up in a situation that will make his pro dreams tough.

I think he was a decent receiver that got lost in the complete mismanagement of the offense under Richt and Enos, got ****ed and made a bad decision too quickly. Live and learn. But it’s easy for me to understand his thought process watching what Pope and Wiggins did.

Good question. I can’t think of anybody off the top of my head. Maybe somebody else can help out, because I can’t come up with a single name. I’m sure I must be missing somebody.
Patchan is doing good at colorado but thats probably mostly because he is around talent similiar to himself.

Advertisement
Ahh true. Wasn’t trying to one up ya or anything, he just came to mind.

No, I know. We’ve had players leave to go do ok elsewhere before. It happens. But the portal game is relatively new.

There are probably other examples, but one guy I always liked but for whatever reason Shannon/Whipple wouldn’t play him much, but every time he carried the ball, it seemed like he would always rip off of 5 to 8 yard gain.

Shawnbrey McNeal.

So he transfers, and runs for almost 1200 yards at SMU. Not only that, he at least bounced around a little bit in the NFL. During that time we had no comparable running back. Coop was good, but this guy was tougher.

We had that guy in our stable of backs and never used him.

Now that’s a guy that was misused. Tell me one guy during that time that was better than him. He could’ve at least been our number two back the years he was here, but he didn’t get much of a chance.

Advertisement
No they were all GT. I think Balom and Hightower will get some pt this season, but I can't think of any other transfers that have done anything. The TE at Oregon (DJ Johnson?) maybe.
Do u mean Hightower and Smith? They both transferred to Illinois.

No, I know. We’ve had players leave to go do ok elsewhere before. It happens. But the portal game is relatively new.

There are probably other examples, but one guy I always liked but for whatever reason Shannon/Whipple wouldn’t play him much, but every time he carried the ball, it seemed like he would always rip off of 5 to 8 yard gain.

Shawnbrey McNeal.

So he transfers, and runs for almost 1200 yards at SMU. Not only that, he at least bounced around a little bit in the NFL. During that time we had no comparable running back. Coop was good, but this guy was tougher.

We had that guy in our stable of backs and never used him.

Now that’s a guy that was misused. Tell me one guy during that time that was better than him. He could’ve at least been our number two back the years he was here, but he didn’t get much of a chance.

Storm Johnson?

Edit: Oh Shawnbrey McNeil. Don’t remember him here.

Storm Johnson?

Edit: Oh Shawnbrey McNeil. Don’t remember him here.

Came in from Texas and probably one of the fastest running backs we ever signed. Had a 10.3 or 10.4 100 meter time. Small build, about what you'd expect for a guy running track at that speed and playing football.

Advertisement
Again, I don’t think any of those guys were portal guys.

The concept of "Portal Guys" should include grad transfers, because they count against IC numbers too. Grad Transfers have to submit their names into the Portal too, under the current rules.

If you're trying to say "guys who play 2 or more years elsewhere", that is fine. I just think everything is relative. A certain CB that we got from UGa may be a "Portal Guy" and only play 1 year, where some Grad Transfers who graduated in less than 4 years may have 2 years to play.

If you're trying to say "Portal" as in "only the last couple of years since the Portal was created", then, yes, all the other names that we discussed are "pre-Portal".

EDIT: I saw where you clarified in later posts, sorry for any misunderstanding.

Advertisement
Back