A few scrimmage nuggets

Advertisement
Unless you’re a big time guy, the portal is a simp’s game. It was created to throw a bone to the “pay the players” and “let them be free agents” movement. But it’s turned into a giant clusterfck for thousands of guys who wanted to be free agents but now don’t have a scholarship anywhere.

We’ve benefited from the portal, but have we had any guys leave here to the portal and go on to any great success elsewhere?

Not speculating on who might be leaving or where they might be going but in terms of getting a UM degree. Lots of guys in athletic scholarships have their bachelor after three years.

Those summer sessions were a blessing for me when I played

Advertisement
Good question. I can’t think of anybody off the top of my head. Maybe somebody else can help out, because I can’t come up with a single name. I’m sure I must be missing somebody.

Perhaps Gus Edwards? Granted, he went to a shty Rutgers team and didn't exactly contend for Heisman, but he's in the NFL and doing well.

Before the portal, but Bryce Brown was decent and had a cup of coffee in the NFL
Perhaps Gus Edwards? Granted, he went to a shty Rutgers team and didn't exactly contend for Heisman, but he's in the NFL and doing well.

Two good names.

We already know there wasn’t a portal during the Bryce Brown era, and I’m pretty sure wasn’t one when Gus was around - I think he was graduate transfer, wasn’t he?

So, so far though, no portal names that we can think of. My brain hasn’t turned completely to mush yet

Two good names.

We already know there wasn’t a portal during the Bryce Brown era, and I’m pretty sure wasn’t one when Gus was around - I think he was graduate transfer, wasn’t he?

So, so far though, no portal names that we can think of. My brain hasn’t turned completely to mush yet

The WR who went to UGa did well there. Not exactly an NFL starter, but not bad, I think he had a better year at UGa than he ever had at UM.

Advertisement
Premature, but curious to see how DJ Johnson does at tight end for Oregon next season.

Unless you’re a big time guy, the portal is a simp’s game. It was created to throw a bone to the “pay the players” and “let them be free agents” movement. But it’s turned into a giant clusterfck for thousands of guys who wanted to be free agents but now don’t have a scholarship anywhere.

We’ve benefited from the portal, but have we had any guys leave here to the portal and go on to any great success elsewhere?
Only one I could think of is Bethel. He has a real opportunity with the Buffs

Two good names.

Not yet....just wait.

Advertisement

Off the top of my head, the only guys to leave and do well: Cager, Arthur Brown, Gus.

Advertisement
No they were all GT. I think Balom and Hightower will get some pt this season, but I can't think of any other transfers that have done anything. The TE at Oregon (DJ Johnson?) maybe.

Balom?

I do think Hightower you can definitely include, because he’s a transfer, or a portal transfer, in this case the same thing. I just don’t include graduate transfer, that’s different than a portal player. And the franchise was talking about portal players.

Advertisement
Back