A few scrimmage nuggets

What punts got to do with reps at WR?

And he only muffed one punt, versus Clemson. He was trying to make a play while the rest of the team was laying down.
You guys are blowing the PR thing way out of proportion.
Pope dropping 5x as many passes per game and folks still say X isn’t playing cause of inconsistency.

ITS THE SAME STAFF

Advertisement
Anybody else think we are likely to see far more 4 WR sets than 2 TE sets this year? Just a hunch but the loss of Brevin Jordan leaves us with Mallory and several one dimensional or inexperienced TEs. On obvious passing downs, we might prefer more 4-wide rather 22-personnel or similar sets. If I'm right, then Restrepo will definitely get more burn at slot together with Brashard Smith.

Two Wrs in the slot (both sides of the field) could be lethal.

Last edited:
What punts got to do with reps at WR?

And he only muffed one punt, versus Clemson. He was trying to make a play while the rest of the team was laying down.
You guys are blowing the PR thing way out of proportion.
I mention punts bc this staff has been adamant about guys contributing on special teams prior to offense/ defense. Guys who hav excelled on specials got more reps on O/D under this staff.

muffed only 1? LOL cmon dude. He dropped at least 3-4 punts. Whether he got them back or recovered is a different story.

You don't process information well enough to know you replied to yourself and not to me. So bragging on your ability to comprehend should probably stop. The whole basis for the argument is nonsense. Grimes developed into a better player as junior and senior. Why would you judge what he is as a finished product against a freshman specifically when the numbers Grimes put up as freshman are **** near identical to Redding. All just to use it to get his shots in because he didn't like where WRs were positioned in scrimmage one. This all coming on day where insiders told you WRs made plays and one young player didn't.

If you got a problem with "historic" thats on you for being sensitive. They were really good. It is what it is.
I definitely hit the reply button on my phone instead of the quote button while I was trying to include @HighSeas's earlier post along with yours. **** happens. My bad. If that's what you want to hang your hat on, god bless.

But I think it is far more interesting that you keep missing the point on Grimes and Redding. The poster you quoted was arguing that even if Redding is limited, his attributes are already in line with those of a Grimes, who was utilized somewhat effectively this season notwithstanding his limitations. It's not that Redding is bad or Grimes is good or developed. It's that Grimes is limited, and even if Redding is as limited as some people now claim he is, he is still no worse than a Grimes and our coaches should be able to get more out of Redding. That was the point.

And no, I do not consider an 8-4 season historic. Possibly in the annals of **** history, but I honestly wouldn't know about that.

Advertisement
I mention punts bc this staff has been adamant about guys contributing on special teams prior to offense/ defense. Guys who hav excelled on specials got more reps on O/D under this staff.

muffed only 1? LOL cmon dude. He dropped at least 3-4 punts. Whether he got them back or recovered is a different story.
Dropped 3-4 punts? Man I have a bad memory... prove that ****! I call boo-****

I remember Clemson and maybe one other he dropped but recovered. He muffed something else after the defender touched it, but that doesn’t count cause X was smart enough to know it didn’t matter if he didn’t field it cleanly. What else was there that he “dropped”?

I don’t think you can take too many things out of this, at least I don’t.

But I will say this: I’m surprised at the amount of action Garcia got considering what I thought was an indication that he was just going to get very light work at the beginning.

Looks like he’s just fine.

Let’s see if that injury, I think it’s a foot injury, is a non-factor for the rest of the spring
Me too. He wasn't getting this many reps before. I suspect they're about to crank up the reps.

Propping up Grimes...
Propping up Toney...
Sucking off the 2020 **** offense...
All in one post about a UM scrimmage.

Develop some pride, hit the showers, and try again next scrimmage.
Sorry bud, I will never let fan allegiance deter from sound analysis. If you don't want to learn about the game and just want rah-rah meathead soundbites you're welcome to put me on ignore list and follow the 50+ porsters who post the same machismo drivel in every thread.

I hate the **** fanbase as much as anyone but when I see an offense littered with ordinary talents (besides Pitts) score 40 a game and finish 8th in yards per play I think to myself "gee it'd be nice to have something like that going at Miami". I post about the Bama scheme a lot too but it's easier to make an apples to apples comparison to a team that doesn't have a 3-deep of blue chip future top-3 round picks.

It's a simple point - UF rotated a ton of WR/TEs the last 2 years and put them all in roles that fit their skillsets. This doesn't have to be a foreign concept at Miami. A pass game can have more to it than verts, screens and glance routes.

Advertisement
Grimes didn't start living up to his potential until his junior and senior seasons so why is Redding being used as a jump off point for corch talk? Where Redding is in his career Grimes at the same point had 3 catches and 20 yards and was transferring. Just so happens currently Redding has 3 catches for 19 yards and TD.

Miami's slot WR last year(Harley) caught 57 balls and 7 TDs and averaged 14 yards per catch in a new offense. His numbers are down from Toney's which makes sense because the Gators were historic in their offensive production but it aint like our slot guy didn't put up numbers too.
I was putting into context that Redding can look bad in a scrimmage and still have utility as a player. I agree there's plenty of time for it to sort itself out but I don't wanna hear excuses like "he can't get open" to explain why he's glued to the bench when he's the only strong-bodied WR with size on the roster. Like did the staff not watch the same HS film that I did? They should know what he can and can't do.

So if Harley was such a productive slot why is he being shifted to the outside? Harley's strength is his speed and pace working against mismatches and zones. Those strengths are negated if he has to win 1on1s outside. And Pope is missing key skills that you want from a slot receiver. So yeah if that's even remotely being considered as a starting trio I'm gonna complain. I'm not a Rambo fan either... https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/rambo-to-miami.167622/page-17#post-5106825

TVD played well but he’s going to need time in the pocket , he’s not quite as mobile as the coaches expected.

Tyrique blanketed everyone , perfect day minus a PI on Rambo. He also laid a violent hit on Don.

Starting three wr’s were Rambo, Harley and Pope in the slot. Pope actually had a great day.

Pope knows the slot is his only chance to play and is open , I always said that’s his natural spot.

The d dominated but the wr’s made plays.

Hall and bubba started as safeties and had a great day.

Chaney had best day of backs.

ivey was not running with ones.

The returners are TS, Rambo, Harley and Restrepo. They’ll figure out starters.

Redding had a rough day , has trouble getting open and IS NOT FAST!!

It’s possible there’ll be limited tickets to the spring game , as of now the players families are the only getting access.
Now is when they are figuring this out? I saw that in the 5 plays he played last year. We don’t have the OL to protect him, either. Oh, boy..

Advertisement
Now is when they are figuring this out? I saw that in the 5 plays he played last year. We don’t have the OL to protect him, either. Oh, boy..
He’s a pretty good athlete , it’s more he’s not a runner. He’s just a pocket passer. He’s not a statue, just not interested in scrambling or running. Which is fine, move the pocket and the curbs plays is enough. You just won’t see zone reads and designed runs.

Me too. He wasn't getting this many reps before. I suspect they're about to crank up the reps.

I don’t want to be a prisoner of the moment, and things can change, but I’m starting to get the distinct smell of “very polished“ coming off of Garcia. The only question is: is it enough for him to bypass TVD. There’s still plenty of spring to go.

Advertisement
I don’t want to be a prisoner of the moment, and things can change, but I’m starting to get the distinct smell of “very polished“ coming off of Garcia. The only question is: is it enough for him to bypass TVD. There’s still plenty of spring to go.
The biggest concern I have is that Garcia comes out on top because of his strengths, not because of TVD's weaknesses.

TVD played well but he’s going to need time in the pocket , he’s not quite as mobile as the coaches expected.

Tyrique blanketed everyone , perfect day minus a PI on Rambo. He also laid a violent hit on Don.

Starting three wr’s were Rambo, Harley and Pope in the slot. Pope actually had a great day.

Pope knows the slot is his only chance to play and is open , I always said that’s his natural spot.

The d dominated but the wr’s made plays.

Hall and bubba started as safeties and had a great day.

Chaney had best day of backs.

ivey was not running with ones.

The returners are TS, Rambo, Harley and Restrepo. They’ll figure out starters.

Redding had a rough day , has trouble getting open and IS NOT FAST!!

It’s possible there’ll be limited tickets to the spring game , as of now the players families are the only getting access.
Didn’t read the word Wiggins!!! Sign me Tf up man.

Advertisement
Back