A Few Guys Arguing Non-Stop [F/K/A "Let’s check on Lane Kiffen"]

Advertisement
Nooooo...

The Miami fans who complained about Golden and Shannon and Manny did so all along, for their entire coaching tenures.

The Oregon and FIU fans did not do the same with Mario, and are only doing so now because he's not there.

It's really not that complicated.

Show up at Titanic in February and I'll prove to you that I'll say everything to you in person that I say on the boards.
Hey!!!....that date is all mines...

Advertisement
so we should just pick and choose what time period we want to make our argument? Instead of judging the entire body of work?

What skills as a coach does mario have that makes him a big time head coach?

1. Recruiting

Why do Fiu fans and Oregon fans both say he is a overrated head coach and fantastic recruiter.

Whats funny is we as a fanbase can tell any team the negatives on manny, golden, shannon but we refuse to listen to fans who have witnessed mario for years. Very arrogant of us.
Yea like i said i have probably watched mario cristobal more than most. And i dont know other than HOPE do are fans not realize the deficiencies or want to admit them.

He's a beast in the recruiting department...**** near every thing else is below average or a question mark....and thats with me speaking with HOPE as well.

My concern was staff construction...and it didnt even take a year to realize.....heyyyyyy...whoa....whoa....whats going on here?. Hall Pass for this year...dont know if any changes will be made but after year 2 wanna see something

Yea like i said i have probably watched mario cristobal more than most. And i dont know other than HOPE do are fans not realize the deficiencies or want to admit them.

He's a beast in the recruiting department...**** near every thing else is below average or a question mark....and thats with me speaking with HOPE as well.

My concern was staff construction...and it didnt even take a year to realize.....heyyyyyy...whoa....whoa....whats going on here?. Hall Pass for this year...dont know if any changes will be made but after year 2 wanna see something
Same thoughts and worries i have. Unfortunately people are blinded by wanting to be the biggest fan.

his success all depends on hires he makes. His first hires sucked and i knew it when he made them.

He hasn't proven me wrong.

In fact, he's been pretty silent since he equated FAU and FIU. If you were to ask him directly right now, I'm fairly certain he wouldn't try to tell anyone that 2007 FIU was equal to 2017 FAU.
FIU and FAU for the most part are in the same conferences, basically share the same recruiting ground...dare i say FIU is in better recruiting ground as alot of dade 2nd tier kids at times want to stay home more so than Broward kidsa n Palm Beach Talent has been down somewhat.

Its a lil easier selling a kid come live in Miami than come live in Boca if your recruiting out of state.

FAU has been owning FIU for the most part because they typically out coach FIU.

I will say Mario got FIU in the duldrums....but just to show what type of stuff FIU had to work with....while Mario was there he legitimately could have had TY HILTON .....AND ANTONIO BROWN at wr. IF AB didnt get in trouble.

What power 5 school did Lane leave better than he found it?
None. However, he didn't leave those P5 schools any worse than when he found them.

1. Tennessee - they were mediocre/average when Lane took over. UT fans would definitely agree they well below their standards. UT finished 2008 season with 5-7 record. UT went 7-6 in Lane's first and only season. Slight improvement. Although they lost to all the good teams on the schedule, they played them pretty tough. His leaving was a bit controversial, but he didn't leave them any better or any worse than when he got there.

2. USC Trojans - USC was still pretty good when he got there, but was placed on probation before Lane took over in 2010. Several juniors and seniors transferred because of the probation. USC finished 2009 with 9-4 record. USC went 8-5 Lane's first season and 10-2 in his second season, but were ineligible for postseason play due to the sanctions. Lane went 7-6 in his third season, which was a huge disappointment based on their preseason expectations and rankings. After starting 2013 season with 3-2 record, he was fired (on the tarmac at airport) immediately after the loss to Arizona State. Overall, Lane had a winning record at USC. I think his firing was due to something else. Either way, another controversial exit. He really didn't take over a team in a good spot. He didn't leave them in a better spot either.

Those are the only 2 P5 schools Lane has been coach of and then left (or got fired). Just based on all the facts and info, he didn't take over either program with a great situation. Didn't leave either team in a worse or better spot than when he found them.

Advertisement
What power 5 school did Lane leave better than he found it?
Tennessee. The year before they were 5-7. His only year there he finished 7-6 (almost be Alabama) and had the #10 recruiting class. As for USC they were on probation with a reduction of 30 scholarships and juniors and seniors got a free pass to transfer. In his last year they were playing walkons in the 2 deep bc of depth problems due to the scholarship reductions. Even with all that he had the 3,3,8 and 12 ranked recruiting classes. His second yr at USC he won the pac 12 south and finished #6 in the polls. USC was ineligible to play for the pac 12 title and couldn’t go to a bowl bc of the sanctions.

Tennessee. The year before they were 5-7. His only year there he finished 7-6 (almost be Alabama) and had the #10 recruiting class. As for USC they were on probation with a reduction of 30 scholarships and juniors and seniors got a free pass to transfer. In his last year they were playing walkons in the 2 deep bc of depth problems due to the scholarship reductions. Even with all that he had the 3,3,8 and 12 ranked recruiting classes. His second yr at USC he won the pac 12 south and finished #6 in the polls. USC was ineligible to play for the pac 12 title and couldn’t go to a bowl bc of the sanctions.
im really wondering where the he cant recruit stuff started though seriously.

Like he isnt Mario on the recruiting trail...but he aint Coker, Shannon, Manny weither....did it just start here on the board or something?. Ive always thought he was a solid recruiter.
Im monitoring his approach at OLE MISS, since he is working the portal strategy oh half n half since the state talent isnt as deep and getting out of staters to go to live in Miss aint all that easy either. In the pressure cooker of the sec west i think the transfer portal heavy approach makes more sense.

That being said he likely couldve left for Auburn...and his name will always pop when openings appear yearly.

im really wondering where the he cant recruit stuff started though seriously.

Like he isnt Mario on the recruiting trail...but he aint Coker, Shannon, Manny weither....did it just start here on the board or something?. Ive always thought he was a solid recruiter.
Im monitoring his approach at OLE MISS, since he is working the portal strategy oh half n half since the state talent isnt as deep and getting out of staters to go to live in Miss aint all that easy either. In the pressure cooker of the sec west i think the transfer portal heavy approach makes more sense.

That being said he likely couldve left for Auburn...and his name will always pop when openings appear yearly.
Yes first time I heard it was on this board. Just another way to try to discredit him. It flys in the face of facts…former recruiter of the year…former USC recruiting coordinator, routinely pulled in top 10 classes at USC/Tenn…but he hates/can’t recruit lol

And he could’ve left for auburn and people would have said see he always leaves looking for better and doesn’t stick around, but he actually chose to stick around and crickets….

Advertisement

hate to tell you this, but miami is a relic from the past as long as he is in charge.

dabo didn't even remotely try when we played them, dude was looking up at the sky numerous times in the second quarter. Butch davis would out coach the living **** out of mario, and we all know how he could be on game day at least in the early days.

Nooooo...

The Miami fans who complained about Golden and Shannon and Manny did so all along, for their entire coaching tenures.

The Oregon and FIU fans did not do the same with Mario, and are only doing so now because he's not there.

It's really not that complicated.

Show up at Titanic in February and I'll prove to you that I'll say everything to you in person that I say on the boards.
titanic night GIF

8999C80E-FBA2-4976-B74C-D309305E9B8F.gif

Advertisement
Disagree on this. Hugh Freeze showed Ole Miss what they could be. He was their ceiling. Lane won’t croot. Hugh croots and he is good coach.
Lane’s record at Ole Miss is better than Freeze’s. Even if you don’t count all the forfeited games. Hugh’s best year was 10-3 and. #10 finish. Lane went 10-3 with a #11 finish, so I guess he’s got the advantage there.

Probably better for Ole Miss that Dart got knocked out of the game because he is playing awful

FIU and FAU for the most part are in the same conferences, basically share the same recruiting ground...dare i say FIU is in better recruiting ground as alot of dade 2nd tier kids at times want to stay home more so than Broward kidsa n Palm Beach Talent has been down somewhat.

Its a lil easier selling a kid come live in Miami than come live in Boca if your recruiting out of state.

FAU has been owning FIU for the most part because they typically out coach FIU.

I will say Mario got FIU in the duldrums....but just to show what type of stuff FIU had to work with....while Mario was there he legitimately could have had TY HILTON .....AND ANTONIO BROWN at wr. IF AB didnt get in trouble.

Yes first time I heard it was on this board. Just another way to try to discredit him. It flys in the face of facts…former recruiter of the year…former USC recruiting coordinator, routinely pulled in top 10 classes at USC/Tenn…but he hates/can’t recruit lol

And he could’ve left for auburn and people would have said see he always leaves looking for better and doesn’t stick around, but he actually chose to stick around and crickets….

Since we went with Mario when many wanted Lane (myself included), there's always going to be an element that tries to tear the man down. Even the most ardent supporters of Mario had to pause and question their belief in him after this past season. Nobody saw 5 - 7 coming.

The fact that Lane is a guy in their head makes them try and determine why he wasn't the right guy, but Mario was instead. That way they can hopefully still believe Mario is the guy, not another mistake in a long run of them.

So let's try and take Lane down with unfounded beliefs and ideas.

Lane can't recruit. That's not true.

Lane wouldn't recruit as well here and the Columbus mafia (I crack up every time I see this, so dumb) wouldn't support him in the same fashion. While he might not be Mario on the trail, he's **** good. NIL is the giant equalizer in the modern day recruiting game and if given the same or close to it support, Lane would capitalize as well.

Lane would've jumped ship at the next great opportunity. Okay, and? Do you know our history? Every winning coach here has used this place as a launching pad to another bigger job or more money. Well, those that didn't get fired.

Lane is a **** good coach. He would've done better this past year, but long term we better hope it's Mario. Why some have to tear another good coach down to make themselves feel better about our guy, that's just silly to me even if I get it.

Advertisement
Back