A few days later, my report on the 2013 Signing Class

Grace is the EXACT same size that Perryman was when he walked on campus

He's nto as compactly built as Perryman and he's definitely not as good a prospect as perryman. So thanks for supporting my assumption.

What? Definitely? Based on what?

I think Grace is a better long-term prospect than Perryman. I don't know if he'll make the same immediate impact because the circumstances are different.

Mostly, I'm trying to understand the rationale behind your predictions/absolutes.

Perryman dominated top dade competition since his freshman year. Grace does not have the speed, explosion and violence Perryman has. Perryman had a stouter frame.

Advertisement
So what? He was nice. I just don't think he has that much room to grow. I don't think he is a better prospect than Perryman or Kirby.

I'm curious what aspects of Grace's game or physical attributes tell you he's hit his ceiling?

He's small yet he's not as compactly built as Perryman. He reminds me of this guy who was a pretty good high school LB himself.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Tyrone-Cornelius-86290

Grace is already in the 205+ range. Cornelius wasn't at that range until after a redshirt. Grace will be somewhere like 220 after his first year here. More than that, they aren't comparable players in the field. Grace is more natural and simply better in coverage than Cornelius is right now.

I guess we shall see.

I said he reminded me of him. Not that he was an equal prospect to him. Grace is a better player but I think you and others here overstate him. Grace will max out at 225. IMO your view of his frame and growth potential is optimistic.

What is it that Spence had that allowed to get to 230+...that Grace doesn't have?

So what? He was nice. I just don't think he has that much room to grow. I don't think he is a better prospect than Perryman or Kirby.

I'm curious what aspects of Grace's game or physical attributes tell you he's hit his ceiling?

He's small yet he's not as compactly built as Perryman. He reminds me of this guy who was a pretty good high school LB himself.

Grace is already in the 205+ range. Cornelius wasn't at that range until after a redshirt. Grace will be somewhere like 220 after his first year here. More than that, they aren't comparable players in the field. Grace is more natural and simply better in coverage than Cornelius is right now.

I guess we shall see.

I said he reminded me of him. Not that he was an equal prospect to him. Grace is a better player but I think you and others here overstate him. Grace will max out at 225. IMO your view of his frame and growth potential is optimistic.

Fair enough. Count me in on the "wildly overstate him" side. I think he's a future NFL player.

I guess we shall see.

Fair enough. Count me in on the "wildly overstate him" side. I think he's a future NFL player.

Wild would be right. Predicting high school players to make it to the NFL doesn't usually work out well. I hope you don't have money on that. I think he'll be a special teams maven and occasional contributor at OLB. That's it.

Mico -

Have you measured the kid in person? Where do you get off confidently commenting on the kid's ability to add good weight? Seems to me like you're talking out of your ***, and reacting to the run of small linebackers who have failed here. It's been asked, and you ignored it, what does Grace not have that Spence did, from a physical standpoint?

Advertisement
@OP - Disagree that Grace is undersized. How big is a HS SR at WILL supposed to be? He is bigger than Spence was at this point and way better in pass coverage.

For me not to label him undersized? I guess in the 6-2 215 range? I don't think this is something that's going to hold him back long term, but 6-1 208 is undersized no matter what, and it's going to be an issue until he does get bigger because OL will be able to crush him. Again, long term, I think he'll be fine because he does look like he can get up to 230 or so, but right now it's note worthy that he is undersized for a player who is going to be a linebacker in college in 6 months. Hopefully by the time he gets here he is in the 212-215 range.

Funny someone mentioned Arthur Brown in this thread...I think Grace's size projects similarly to Arthur Brown.

Undersized when projecting the pro game...just fine for college. He'll be 6'1"-ish, 230-ish by the time he's done here.

If you look around the college game - Bama being the obvious benchmark - there's no question Grace is undersized at LB. It would be great if he could take a shirt and then step on the field at 220-225. But plays right away because immediately the best cover LB. That value cant be overstated.

Advertisement
Ok i should have not been a bum and looked it myself. Scout has 6'3'' 220, rivals has 6'2'' 212 and Bama right now has him at 6'2'' 232.

I THINK OUR CLASS WAS SOLID
OVERSHADOWED BY WHO DIDN'T SIGN
U RITE

The overall class is solid. A few elite guys, a bunch of solid guys and a couple projects.

What really hurts this class is the DT whiff. Hooks, Bradley, Bryant, Brooks, Bostwick, Toby Johnson. That's rough as ****.

Advertisement

He's nto as compactly built as Perryman and he's definitely not as good a prospect as perryman. So thanks for supporting my assumption.

I think Grace is a better long-term prospect than Perryman. I don't know if he'll make the same immediate impact because the circumstances are different.

Mostly, I'm trying to understand the rationale behind your predictions/absolutes.

Perryman dominated top dade competition since his freshman year. Grace does not have the speed, explosion and violence Perryman has. Perryman had a stouter frame.

Speed? He runs a ******* 4.5 you idiot.

I guess we shall see.

What is it that Spence had that allowed to get to 230+...that Grace doesn't have?

Up until now a college nutrition and training regimen.
Give Grace time. To look at him now and say, "he's too small. He's only 205-210lbs." is just plain pessimistic.
Grace is only 17-18 years old. Just a kid and he's already a rock solid 205-210lbs. He's going to put on 14-20lbs the next couple years just by becoming a man and couple that with a great nutrition program and weight training program then watch him end up 235lbs by the time he's needed to step up.

Grace is by all accounts one of the fastest high school linebackers in the country. He's definitely faster than Perryman and he hits with way more pop than his frame and weight would suggest. I don't know why you dislike Grace so much as a prospect.

Advertisement
Thanks to the OP again for the written analysis.

I really like our Beau Sandland, the guy is tough and big and athletic. His highlight tape was one of the best I've ever seen imho. CA juco is pretty good.
And Coley and Golden like the TE matchups.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back