A Decade of Hurricane 2 Stars>>>

Mbecks22

Sophomore
Thinking about this Liggins kid, I decided to go back and look at Rivals and how we've done when we sign 2 Star type of athletes

So... here's the list:

2004: Romeo Davis, Cedric Hill, Khalil Jones, Josh Kerr, Jon St. Pierre, George Timmons
2005: Jerrell Mabry
2006: Joel Figueroa, George Hill, Danielle Stegal
2007: Dan Adderley, Tyler Horn,
2008: John Calhoun, Taylor Cook, Pat Hill, Zach Kane, Brandon Marti, CJ Odom, Andrew Smith, Jake Wieclaw
2009: Stephen Plein
2010: Jeffrey Brown, Kelvin Cain, Asante Cleveland, Jimmy Gaines
2011: Corey King, Matt Goudis
2012: none
2013: Ufomba Kamalu, Walter Tucker
2014: none to date

A Decade of Diamonds in the rough. LMAO

29 kids and not one good player. A few starters on some bad teams is the best we can say.

Advertisement
Thinking about this Liggins kid, I decided to go back and look at Rivals and how we've done when we sign 2 Star type of athletes

So... here's the list:

2004: Romeo Davis, Cedric Hill, Khalil Jones, Josh Kerr, Jon St. Pierre, George Timmons
2005: Jerrell Mabry
2006: Joel Figueroa, George Hill, Danielle Stegal
2007: Dan Adderley, Tyler Horn,
2008: John Calhoun, Taylor Cook, Pat Hill, Zach Kane, Brandon Marti, CJ Odom, Andrew Smith, Jake Wieclaw
2009: Stephen Plein
2010: Jeffrey Brown, Kelvin Cain, Asante Cleveland, Jimmy Gaines
2011: Corey King, Matt Goudis
2012: none
2013: Ufomba Kamalu, Walter Tucker
2014: none to date

A Decade of Diamonds in the rough. LMAO

29 kids and not one good player. A few starters on some bad teams is the best we can say.

Randy and Coker were beyond bad when it comes to evaluations

Didn't Tyler Horn play in the NFL for a while?

Was also a second-team all ACC selection in 2011 and played in a ton of games for us.

He was a good player.

This really doesn't prove anything. Seantrel Henderson was a 5 star and never lived up to his rating. Ed Reed was a 2 star and now he's one of the best safeties to ever play the game. You hit and miss with a lot of players. Not only 2 stars.

Advertisement
Good news is less 2 stars now. Of course sites give almost everyone 3 stars. Kamulu actually looks like he has potential to.

To Golden's credit, the best two players on that list will likely be the ones he recruited. Also, Tyler Horn was a good player for us and is currently in the NFL.

Advertisement
This really doesn't prove anything. Seantrel Henderson was a 5 star and never lived up to his rating. Ed Reed was a 2 star and now he's one of the best safeties to ever play the game. You hit and miss with a lot of players. Not only 2 stars.

It's not about the stars...it's about the evaluation and our evaluations have been ****** for over a decade.

Kamalu is going to be a player for us.

Ah, not as dreadul as might appear at first glance. They're 2-star guys, what are you expecting future All-Americans?

A handful of those guys got on the field and were decent - Figueroa, Horn, Wieclaw, Goudis, etc. Kamalu may yet be a player and Tucker is an interesting guy. Some on the list never set foot in campus, got hurt or had very brief stays. Not a problem taking chances on kids as long as you're quick to cut your losses.

Advertisement
eddie johnson was a under radar 3 star. ironically, zach kane played for golden at temple.

I'm trying to understand what the expectations are for two star recruits. For me, at best, a two star means a solid back-up or maybe a starter.

The list presented resulted in a future pro (Horn), solid starters in Hill, Goudis, Wieclaw and Gaines and possibly solid back-ups in Tucker and Kamalu.

I don't have recall on the others before 2010. Looks like pretty good results for two stars.

Advertisement
Some of those kids never even made it into UM. A few are special team specialst. Some transferred, A couple contributed. I don't see the big deal here. What is that an average of 2-3 2 stars per year? How many 2 stars we got this year?

You come up with 29 5* kids that Miami has recruited and you tell me if they were that bad. You Can't! ****, give me 29 4 and 5* kids and you will not see that kind of futility!

Stars don't matter. Evals and development are the only things that matter

Now when I say stars don't matter, it doesn't mean a guy like cook doesn't matter because he's a 5 star recruit. He matters because he is nasty, that's an Eval. I think golden has got some credit over the years as a good judge of talent and finder of "diamonds in the rough" but it's hard for the stats to justify that. For the countless kids that either have transferred out, or are still here and just don't make much of a difference, Olsen Pierre is decent, Scott is decent but has been suspended several times, and eddie Johnson tried to fight barrow. That's the success the current staff has had with sleepers.

Golden is getting big boy money now, and has tried to market himself to other schools as a hot young coach. Time to get results. Honestly we don't really need to be finding sleepers, there's proven talent at every position for the most part every year in so fla. I don't mind leaving the state for line talent and a guy like berries once in a blue moon, but I don't see why coaches want to chase the wild goose when they're located in the golden goose.

Advertisement
Back