#94???

Advertisement
You realize that we can play zone from a 4-3 against a 3 wide set...and that may involve an OLB spreading to line near a slot receiver...doesn't mean he's covering him man to man, right? Yeah...no.

Advertisement
Understand he was playing zone and BC exploited it anytime they wanted. Not a fan of using OLB's in zone against a 3 wide set.

You realize that we can play zone from a 4-3 against a 3 wide set...and that may involve an OLB spreading to line near a slot receiver...doesn't mean he's covering him man to man, right? Yeah...no.

Likely keeping 3 LB's on the field to keep them from gashing us with the run.

Advertisement
Off topic a bit I guess but,

Is it me or does Kelvin Cain look really stiff and slow?

Naw thats not the problem... His issue is strength... I noticed this last year in his start at Duke... He's a smart backer and is fundamental but he isnt strong enough yet... He can move sideline to sideline but there were a lot of opportunities where he was in position to make the tackle but he was dragged or they broke his tackle... I think once his strength is where it should be he will be a productive backer... For instance look at his tackle attempt against Beu Reliford for FSU... Beu carried him for 10 yards... The kid can be a good player here... He can be the backer we have been waiting for but he needs to sleep in the weight room... He has gained weight but he needs more strength...

Likely keeping 3 LB's on the field to keep them from gashing us with the run.

This is exactly what we did against Kansas State too. They were running a 4 wide spread and we were in our 4-3 base for a large majority of the game because we couldn't stop the run. Didn't work but it's understandable.

Stiff is the last word I'd use to describe him. Cain's ability to flip his hips, at his size, is his best attribute. That's why he was given so much responsibility in coverage.

Ive not been overly impressed with Cain thus far.... but willing the give the kid one more off season to learn the system. I think a lot of these guys were just totally lost in this system this year... and part of that led Coach D to keep the scheme as plain vanilla Zone as he could.. which hurt us when teams were just exploiting the obvious holes. It was painfully obvious most of our guys didnt have a clue how to play zone coverage , which was exacerbated greatly by the lack of talent and depth we have in the back 7 anyway. I dont know how many times I saw guys just standing dumbfounded when someone would cross into their zone and catch a pass.

Advertisement
Our coaches gave Futch a chance. Unfortunately, Jordan is one of the worst players ever at UM

Cain and Gaines both look really slow to me. I haven't seen any short-area burst from either of them.

I think any positive play that USF made was on Cain's side.

Cain and Gaines both look really slow to me. I haven't seen any short-area burst from either of them.

I think any positive play that USF made was on Cain's side.

They may be the most athletic backers on the team... Cain is in every play... his weakness is strength... He's a good tackler and a fundamental player but he's weak... Another year in the weight room and he'll beast... Gaines on the other hand was playing a difficult position... He's an outside backer... He was just confused at times... Both will do fine but Gaines needs to stay in the film room and Cain in the weight room... I believe both will start and Witt will be the surprised backer in the rotation... Witt is like a poor man's Spence... He's our smartest backer coming in...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back