9 “Active” Ships

Consigliere

All-American
13 - “intentionally” left open (3 years straight)
12 - McGusty (we knew he had to sit out)
—————— Everything above was known before the summer
11 - Wilson (not the staff’s fault but happens every year)
10 - Miller* (we decide to redshirt a 3rd year player)

So before anything happens, before one real game is played we have 9 players that are “active”.
Obviously, we can not redshirt Miller.

As for Gak, he is thin (understatement) and probably is raw. What does that say that they would prefer to play him and redshirt Miller?

Izundu struggles, his whole tenure, to stay out of foul trouble. He even had 4 fouls last night and yes it was an exhibition.

Back to Miller, the staff had no idea he wouldn’t be able to contribute this year? This is his third year. Why not bring in a Joe Thomas type for safety?

Should be interesting...

Advertisement
In fairness, Rodney Miller should have taken the redshirt his freshman year but the Canes only had 8 or 9 scholarship players that year. I actually agree with the move as if it is needed, you can always remove the redshirt. He is behind on his development (strength and conditioning).
Miller will be practicing everyday but he will not be playing in games. I would prefer to be 10 deep but if the Canes are not committed to playing all ten scholarship guys every game then the redshirt of Miller is the right move.

Now a days 7-8 men rotations are the norm. Would have been nice to have Wilson for extra depth. I’m looking at a team like UCLA and even tho they have 3 guys out they still could roll 10 deep. Wish Miami had the luxury of having that type of depth. Obviously the difference is UCLA gets multiple top 100 guys a year, Miami is lucky to get 2.

Advertisement
Who started yesterday? Are they starting Hernandez and Izundu or is Izundu coming off the bench? If they are starting together this could be an issue because of Izundu's foul trouble issues. If they are both starting an Izundu continues with dumb fouls than it's probably best not to start Izundu and let him come off the bench. Love how we can play big or play small ball with the pieces we have though.

Now a days 7-8 men rotations are the norm. Would have been nice to have Wilson for extra depth. I’m looking at a team like UCLA and even tho they have 3 guys out they still could roll 10 deep. Wish Miami had the luxury of having that type of depth. Obviously the difference is UCLA gets multiple top 100 guys a year, Miami is lucky to get 2.

Before Coach L we were lucky to snag 1 lol

I remember a couple of years ago FSU was running 11 deep. I think they got knocked out in the first round of the NCAAT that year.

Who started yesterday? Are they starting Hernandez and Izundu or is Izundu coming off the bench? If they are starting together this could be an issue because of Izundu's foul trouble issues. If they are both starting an Izundu continues with dumb fouls than it's probably best not to start Izundu and let him come off the bench. Love how we can play big or play small ball with the pieces we have though.
Captureaaz.PNG

Advertisement
I remember a couple of years ago FSU was running 11 deep. I think they got knocked out in the first round of the NCAAT that year.
Fsu has always had deep teams. Last year was really the only time they made a run if I’m not mistaken.

We don't need to run 11 or 12 deep to be successful, but it's nice to have the extra depth available. Injuries and suspensions are impossible to avoid, so going into the season with just 9 available guys is precarious.

As for Miller...How often does a 3rd year player redshirt (not because of injury or transfer) and have a decent tenure?

I mean redshirt during his 3rd year. Also, I am looking for a player who produced almost nothing their first two years.

As for 7-9 man rotations, there is a difference between having that many quality players in a rotation and that many active players. We have 9 players and we haven’t played 1 game.

We don't need to run 11 or 12 deep to be successful, but it's nice to have the extra depth available. Injuries and suspensions are impossible to avoid, so going into the season with just 9 available guys is precarious.

We have NO depth and that is before the season started.

Advertisement
I’d prefer Wilson to be still be on the team.

Amp with 8 assists yesterday is a stat to watch for as the season progresses

As for Miller...How often does a 3rd year player redshirt (not because of injury or transfer) and have a decent tenure?

I mean redshirt during his 3rd year. Also, I am looking for a player who produced almost nothing their first two years.

As for 7-9 man rotations, there is a difference between having that many quality players in a rotation and that many active players. We have 9 players and we haven’t played 1 game.

I don't remember exactly when Julian Gamble redshirted but he was awful and then his senior year he was very productive. Miller has shown more than Gamble showed his first two years so there is hope. Miller has decent touch around the basket. His weight is what is holding him back. If he can work on his weight this entire year and slim down then I think he can be a somewhat productive back up 5 for us the next two years.

I don't remember exactly when Julian Gamble redshirted but he was awful and then his senior year he was very productive. Miller has shown more than Gamble showed his first two years so there is hope. Miller has decent touch around the basket. His weight is what is holding him back. If he can work on his weight this entire year and slim down then I think he can be a somewhat productive back up 5 for us the next two years.

No disrespect but I disagree with the comparison.

1. Gamble redshirted his freshman year and his 5th year because of injury (ACL tear). Miller is redshirting because he isn't worth playing. Gamble getting an injury wasn't a plan. In addition, there was no guarantee that Gamble would get an additional year.

2. If Gamble was "awful" his first two seasons he played, then what is Miller?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/rodney-miller-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/julian-gamble-1.html

The bold part isn't factually true at all.

3. Gamble received some of the worst coaching before Coach L as Haith was his coach for the first four years. He then had two years of Coach L. Miller had, already, two full years of Coach L.

There are more specific things to bring up as it pertains to Miller. But that is enough for the comparison above.

Advertisement
Are we really complaining about Miller redshirting? Dude has been useless so far. Maybe he'll actually be a productive body next season after this redshirt year.

I know the bold part isn't factually true, it's my opinion. Watching Miller, his issue is his weight. Especially in the new age small ball era. Julian Gamble coudn't catch the basketball his first few years here. I think Miller has some cordination(for a big man) which in my opinion is the most important trait when it comes to potential for a big man. It's been very limited but last year I think he gave us a few solid minutes off the bench when Izundu was in foul trouble. So to me Gamble has two issues which was weight and zero cordination and some how Coach L was able to get him to be productive so my hope is that Miller can lose the weight and be a back up 5 for us the next two years.

Great point on Gamble going from Haith to Coach L as opposed to Miller who has always had Coach L. I'm sure I'm in the minority and very well may be wrong but Coach L must see something in Miller to make this redshirt move. Time will tell.

I know the bold part isn't factually true, it's my opinion. Watching Miller, his issue is his weight. Especially in the new age small ball era. Julian Gamble coudn't catch the basketball his first few years here. I think Miller has some cordination(for a big man) which in my opinion is the most important trait when it comes to potential for a big man. It's been very limited but last year I think he gave us a few solid minutes off the bench when Izundu was in foul trouble. So to me Gamble has two issues which was weight and zero cordination and some how Coach L was able to get him to be productive so my hope is that Miller can lose the weight and be a back up 5 for us the next two years.

Great point on Gamble going from Haith to Coach L as opposed to Miller who has always had Coach L. I'm sure I'm in the minority and very well may be wrong but Coach L must see something in Miller to make this redshirt move. Time will tell.

Two things:

1. Miller has done nothing but suck. He was the backup for the backup (Izundu). It is was it is. He is insanely slow and lacks any coordination. He can hardly get his feet off the ground. I don’t know what you see in him because he looks bad.

2. The Gamble comparison doesn’t fit. I just think people are hoping they will get something out of him but for Miller to hit Gamble production, it would be an incredible jump. Obviously more of a jump than Gamble from day one to his last day.

Are we really complaining about Miller redshirting? Dude has been useless so far. Maybe he'll actually be a productive body next season after this redshirt year.

1. The issue is the lack of players who are active. We haven’t played one game and we’re down to nine.

2. So Miller is going to be more productive (next season) because he redshirts his third season? That doesn’t make sense.

Advertisement
Back