8-Team (or more) Playoff

6 team playoff. 1 & 2 get first round bye. 3 vs 6( winner plays #2)and 4 vs 5(winner plays #1). Now the first two out in this years setup get a chance to prove they belong in the mix.

Advertisement
So you're telling me that every other sport that has playoffs have meaningless regular seasons? Do you realize how stupid that sounds? EVERY other sport has playoffs, and regular seasons. How the **** do they survive with those playoffs and meaningless regular seasons?

The regular season is meaningless in NCAA basketball. It’s a prolonged pre-season.

March Madnesa is a season all to itself, between the conference and NCAA tournaments.

And the baseball tourney requires multiple losses to get eliminated.

We have an explanded play off. It’s conference games. Stop trying to ruin what’s left of a great sport.

We have an explanded play off. It’s conference games. Stop trying to ruin what’s left of a great sport.
That's not true. There have been a few teams win their conference and got left out, there has to be more than 4 but I wouldn't want more than 8

doing anything that makes winning every regular season game any less important is the wrong way to go.

4 teams is plenty.

Advertisement
16 team playoff. All 10 conferences must have a championship game. The 10 champions are in + 6 teams with best record with a strength of schedule rating tiebreaker.
- would be fun and exciting
- gets rid of the nonsense selection committee and removes controversy of which similar record P5 conf champs make it in
- sorts out the controversy of the non-P5 teams that go through the occasional run of undefeated seasons (which are often competitive and do deserve a shot)
- regular season still extremely important for everyone because if you don't win, you don't make your conf champ game or the 6 at large spots
- did I mention fun and exciting? everyone is acting like this currently is, has ever been, or can be a purist's process of finding the "best" team. It's about enjoying the most exciting teams playing each other, and a proper playoff would be awesome.

16 team playoff. All 10 conferences must have a championship game. The 10 champions are in + 6 teams with best record with a strength of schedule rating tiebreaker.
- gets rid of the nonsense selection committee and removes controversy of which similar record P5 conf champs make it in
- sorts out the controversy of the non-P5 teams that go through the occasional run of undefeated seasons (which are often competitive and do deserve a shot)
- regular season still extremely important for everyone because if you don't win, you don't make your conf champ game or the 6 at large spots
- did I mention fun and exciting? everyone is acting like this currently is, has ever been, or can be a purist's process of finding the "best" team. It's about enjoying the most exciting teams playing each other, and a proper playoff would be awesome.
so this year, 10-3 UAB, 8-5 NIU, 10-2 App State, 10-3 Washington, 10-2 Army, 10-2 WSU, 10-3 Boise would all be in.

None of those teams have any shot (or deserve) of being champion . A game any of them would be in is just wasting everyone's time.

Just stick to the NFL. Or, enjoy the FCS or D3 playoffs.

Advertisement
so this year, 10-3 UAB, 8-5 NIU, 10-2 App State, 10-3 Washington, 10-2 Army, 10-2 WSU, 10-3 Boise would all be in.

None of those teams have any shot (or deserve) of being champion . A game any of them would be in is just wasting everyone's time.

Don’t forget the unintended consequence of seeing 3 at-large SEC teams making the playoff every year. Which really makes their regular season fairly irrelevant ... Eapecially the conference title game.

Why not do a 9 team playoff and let the number 1 team have a bye week while the first round of playoffs are played?

You do realize there have been teams not seeded #1 or #2 that have won basketball titles, right? Sometimes teams that had rough patches actually step up come tournament time and surprise people. Also, how many times have wildcard teams won the Super Bowl, with all odds against them? It happens in every sport, and would happen in college football as well.

Yes I realize that. I also realize there are a sh*t load of teams in the basketball tourney that I know will never win the championship or deserve to.

Advertisement
Long time reader. First post. I've had this 4/8 team playoff in my head for along time. This thread is a good place for me to document my thoughts. Obviously a lot of ways the teams can be broken out but the following is just my opinion. Nothing more

There are 64 P5 schools counting Rutgers (if ND wants in they can buyout Rutgers). Move to 4 super conferences. Eight 8 team divisions. 4 conf. champs move to the playoff. 12 regular season games. 11 conference games. 7 against your division. And 4 cross over games swapped every year so a team plays everyone in their conf. at least every other year. By having 11 conf. games every game still matters. Every loss in conf. hurts your chance of playing in the conf. championship (the only way into the playoff). The remaining 12th game is reserved for non-conf. traditional rivalry ie. FSU/FL, OK/TX, GA/GaT, Clemson/SC etc. This is still a very meaningful game to everyone involved.

A lot of traditional SWAC & Big8 rivalries are no longer played: NE vs. OK, TX vs. TA&M etc. The SWAC & Big8 (essentially) are long gone and today's Big12 with 10 teams. Move 2 to ACC, 2 to SEC, 2 to B10, 4 to Pac12.

4 Texas teams to Pac12
KS KSU to Big10
OK OSU to SEC
WV & ISU to ACC

Trade ISU and MD
4 way trade TA&M joins the other 4 TX teams in PAC12, CO to Big10, PSU to ACC, Louisville to SEC.

Geographically the Conf/div. should look like:

Pac12 Pacific
  1. WA
  2. WSU
  3. OR
  4. OSU
  5. Cal
  6. Stan.
  7. UCLA
  8. USC
Pac12 South
  1. AZ
  2. ASU
  3. TX
  4. TA&M
  5. TT
  6. TCU
  7. Baylor
  8. UT
Big10 West
  1. WI
  2. MN
  3. NE
  4. IA
  5. ISU
  6. KS/OK
  7. KSU/OSU
  8. CO
Big10 East
  1. MI
  2. MSU
  3. IL
  4. IN
  5. Pur
  6. NW
  7. unnamed
  8. Rutgers/ND/PSU
SEC East
  1. GA
  2. FL
  3. SC
  4. TN
  5. Vandy
  6. MO
  7. KY
  8. Louisville
SEC West
  1. AL
  2. AU
  3. AR
  4. LSU
  5. MS
  6. MSU
  7. OK/KS
  8. OSU/KSU
ACC Atlantic
  1. PSU/ND/Rutgers
  2. WV
  3. Pitt
  4. MD
  5. BC
  6. Syr.
  7. VaT
  8. VA
ACC Costal
  1. NC
  2. NCSU
  3. WF
  4. Duke
  5. GaT
  6. Clemson
  7. FSU
  8. Miami
Super weak Big10 West & super strong SEC East. To make divisions historically more fair and still have some resemblance of geographic rivalries we could swap KSU &KS for OK & OSU.

It is also super bad for Miami. We can make a case to bring back the Big Least and those rivalries.

ACC Atlantic
  1. Miami
  2. BC
  3. Sry.
  4. Pitt
  5. WV
  6. PSU/ND/Rutgers
  7. VaT
  8. VA

8 teams would let teams with 2-3 losses that lost by 30 to some scrub make it. Season won’t matter anymore.
Do you watch the NFL playoffs? Do we take away the 2011 Giants Super Bowl trophy since they obviously weren't the best team at 9-7? Maybe hand Georgetown or Houston a basketball title because they were clearly better than Villanova and NC State.

8 is a good number because it allows conference champs an automatic seed plus the next best 3 teams. So then UCF can get gaped and finally shut up, and then 2 more deserving non conference winners. The real issue is extending the season that much and encorporating the bowls into it. It may change but we probably have a solid decade at 4 teams still.

Advertisement

16 teams is too many, but 8 would work.

Simply take the 5 P5 conference winners, plus 3 at large berths. The 3 could be a conference runner up, Notre Dame (if good enough), and possibly a G5 team. This season the 3 at large berths could be UGA, Notre Dame, and UCF.

The argument a lower seeded team is waste of time of false. A number of wildcard teams have won Super Bowls. And all it takes is one upset or key injuries or suspensions to disrupt the expected results.

It’s not false. Giving a 3 loss team or a weak 1 or 2 loss team the opportunity to be national champs this year over Clemson or bama devalues the regular season. I know upsets are possible. That’s not my argument.

If every conference champion makes the playoffs, and the article goes out of its way to point out that the lesser teams have very little shot to win the playoffs, then why not leave it with the four teams that will be in the final four anyway.

So glad that 4, essentially arbitrarily selected teams made the CFP. Especially that AWESOME ND team that crushed it's phantom opponent in the "invisible conference championship" game.

Letting conference champs settle it on the field is just a dumb idea.

Dumb.

LMAO.

Four teams is perfect. The only tweak is that conference championship should be a requirement.

Advertisement
Back