8 locked in

People are so stuck on negativity they can’t see something that’s impressive as **** staring them right in the face. Tbh I was nervous about this class, knowing how down Sfla is this cycle. Yet they’ve went national and are putting together a nice class. You’re starting to see why we passed on guys earlier , people here here don’t want you taking those types until you don’t take them lol. Remember spells? Now look at our cb class and we could still land another stud.
“ANOTHER” you say?

Advertisement
People are so stuck on negativity they can’t see something that’s impressive as **** staring them right in the face. Tbh I was nervous about this class, knowing how down Sfla is this cycle. Yet they’ve went national and are putting together a nice class. You’re starting to see why we passed on guys earlier , people here here don’t want you taking those types until you don’t take them lol. Remember spells? Now look at our cb class and we could still land another stud.
Every thread on a commit is at least 10 comments on how LB recruiting is ******. let these dudes work!!!

Every thread on a commit is at least 10 comments on how LB recruiting is ******. let these dudes work!!!
To be fair lb recruiting has been a mess since manny has been here. So I get that , everywhere else is fine. In his defense he thought he’d fixed that with the lb coach hiring, but that didn’t work out. So obviously he knew it was an issue , just like cb previously.

Exactly. People here were getting all panicky, wanting us to jump on any mediocre prospect just to build up our commitment numbers. Too many short sighted people and not enough people playing the long game.
That, plus some notorious trolls and ****-stirrers gassing those poor ******** up into a chicken little frenzy.

There has to be a middle ground where some objectivity can be applied while applauding an OUTSTANDING effort by DVD and Robinson. So here goes. Snagging Cody Brown early was a really nice pickup. And WR is promising, especially not needing major #'s. Going out of state in a down in-state year is noteworthy. With 2 promising young qb's on campus Brown has a lot of upside as a developmental prospect despite the Elite 11 status.
Other than that - DL*, OL, LB -there's serious work to do. But still relatively early.

Advertisement
We really shoulda locked in one of Lyons or Durant. They may not have NFL potential like Taylor but if they're at least rotational players, we're gonna need guys like them after we lose Silvera and Ford this year and JHH and Miller the next. Better yet, take both and then go all out for Lucas.

Now, Jess has got a second chance with Tarber and Hastings it seems like. Dont mess this up, take one or both and then continue with the full court press for Lucas.

This whole board freaking out about LBs when we've got 8-10 kids for only two spots for 2022, even without Bissainthe. Nobody seems concerned that we're rolling into 2022 with only 5 DTs returning and zero committed.

With Avantae gone, safety/striker is also another growing need, we cant be pussyfooting around praying for a miracle in Kamari, lock down Henderson, Cull and Markeith and call it a day.
You make some excellent and very valid points. I think people tend to be concerned with LB because we haven't been any good at the position since Shaq and Pink left and in Mannys entire tenure here those 2 have been the only 2 LBs who have done anything.

The LB issue aside it is true that we need to add players at DT and DE. The CB issue was huge but T. Rob and DVD have an excellent job of recruiting the position. A class of Graves, Rogers and Fegans would be the best CB class here in a very long time. Behind Hall and Bolden at Safety we have Washington, Balom, Kinchens and James Williams. Losing Avantae hurt because he would have nailed down a starting spot.

Im not sure what Simpson is doing with his big board but like many have said he has never been known for his recruiting. He needs to figure it out soon. We need Stewart, Kelly, Tarber and more. I couldn't agree more with your assessment that we need to take Henderson, M.Williams and Cull then shut it down.

This class is impressive to me for that reason.

I’m sure it’s happened at some point in our history, but I can’t imagine very often. Never seen anything quite like it.
Many of our great teams had many players from OOS. You’d be surprised. That being said, the foundation was always South Florida kids.

To be fair lb recruiting has been a mess since manny has been here. So I get that , everywhere else is fine. In his defense he thought he’d fixed that with the lb coach hiring, but that didn’t work out. So obviously he knew it was an issue , just like cb previously.

To be real LB recruiting was hurt by the Fact Shaq and Pink & McCLoud started as True Fresh due to Grace and other LB (Young) being dismissed (in the summer) leading up to the start of the season. A ton of prospective LB's didn't want to come to Miami because Shaq, Pick, McCloud started as true Fresh and other prospective LBs knew they had started and imo didn't want to come compete.

Remember our reserves were Gordinier, Darrien Owens (who transferred) Mike Smith (former DE learning to play LB) and CJ Perry so they probably should have started..

Last edited:
I think we're done on offense except for OL.

If we have schollies, we might pick up a rotational, high floor/low ceiling type at RB late in the cycle or through the portal if Cam goes pro as expected. Same with TE if we dont get Skinner.

On defense, looks like we're done at LB with Medlock and Bissainthe if he wants in. Coaches seem comfortable with having 1-2 LBs, we're not seeing a flurry of chatter for plan B LBs after missing on Tolan and with Jackson looking less likely.

DT and DE have become bigger needs with Holley gone and maybe Cam Williams as well. We need 2 minimum at DT and at DE this year, and we could actually take 3 kids at each spot and still not be overloading the depth chart. Personally, this is my biggest worry, sometimes i wonder wtf Simpson is doing by cooling on Lyons, Durant, and perhaps Tarbor. Everyone screaming about LBs but our real needs are along the DL and DB units.

CB is almost finished, i'd take Henderson and call it a day (you never know what could happen if Bama comes calling for Fegans). Safety/striker seems super clearcut - Henderson, Williams and Cull. Just take them and call it a day.
Simpson has always been suspect as a recruiter
He gets so much unwarranted faith when his results are average at best
And he had recent nfl draft success to sell
Maybe he’s like kul
A good teacher but a poor recruiter

Advertisement
Simpson has always been suspect as a recruiter
He gets so much unwarranted faith when his results are average at best
And he had recent nfl draft success to sell
Maybe he’s like kul
A good teacher but a poor recruiter

In Simspon I trust Durant is too small to be a big time DT.. Nesta is a Nickel DT who struggles against physical DTs. Tarbor is okay Lyons ok but I am sure there are bigger options at DT.. I wouldn't just grab bodies either. Simpson is an outstanding Coach watch how much better the DL play is with some personnel No offense to Stroud as I think he had health concerns but he's nowhere near Simpson

I agree. I clarified a bit what I meant earlier but I think you got it

when the **** have we had 8 people committed and none are from our backyard? That’s crazy

And not just that but these guys aren’t all cast offs that the SEC doesn’t want

I’m very impressed

Advertisement

The best part of it is we were forced to try to do it the hard way because of how weak this 2022 class is in SFL, but now we have proof of concept. We can now devote resources to SEC territory (which now includes Texas) and feel confident we will get a return.

There has to be a middle ground where some objectivity can be applied while applauding an OUTSTANDING effort by DVD and Robinson. So here goes. Snagging Cody Brown early was a really nice pickup. And WR is promising, especially not needing major #'s. Going out of state in a down in-state year is noteworthy. With 2 promising young qb's on campus Brown has a lot of upside as a developmental prospect despite the Elite 11 status.
Other than that - DL*, OL, LB -there's serious work to do. But still relatively early.

You make a good point. Forget the lists and rankings and where they put him, but Cody Brown was essentially part of the 2022 class, roster-wise. He took a 2022 spot, he just got here early. He was too good to pass up. When you judge the staff on this class you need to include him IMO.

Advertisement
If he wants LBs he needs to hire a good DC n keep his hands off the defense. Linebacker play on this defense is nonexistent. They all get lost on the plays.

In Simspon I trust Durant is too small to be a big time DT.. Nesta is a Nickel DT who struggles against physical DTs. Tarbor is okay Lyons ok but I am sure there are bigger options at DT.. I wouldn't just grab bodies either. Simpson is an outstanding Coach watch how much better the DL play is with some personnel No offense to Stroud as I think he had health concerns but he's nowhere near Simpson
I agree but at some point u have to go out and get the raw material
It just seems he would have the easiest job selling players on Miami with the recent success of our dline
When he was here last time he had way more misses then gets and thus far it seems to be repeating itself
But it’s a waiting game if he strikes out again this year on most of the top guys it’s time to call a spade a spade

Advertisement
Back