8/9/13 Depth Chart

Props to Thurston Armbrister! I remember watching him last year against FSU, and thinking, thats a LB? He just seemed tiny. Well this summer dude looks the part, and is out to prove us all wrong. Congrats on the black jersey homie!

Advertisement
@mattyports: Golden said Olsen Pierre, Luther Robinson, Curtis Porter and Anthony Chickillo are "locked in." Wonder where that leaves Shayon Green.

@mattyports: Golden said Olsen Pierre, Luther Robinson, Curtis Porter and Anthony Chickillo are "locked in." Wonder where that leaves Shayon Green.

If we veer more towards a 3 man DL then Shayon's days could be numbered

I hope coming off the bench, he deserves playing time but I like that starting line-up the best. with Green, Gilbert, AQM, Hamilton, and Cain as rotating back-ups.

If we veer more towards a 3 man DL then Shayon's days could be numbered

Agree, but it seems to me that Golden is referring to Pierre playing DE. People keep sayin that "we've brought in the pieces to play a 3-4," and I just don't see it. I think we're better equipped for a 4-3. Guys like AQM, Mustafaa, and Thomas seem to me as pure pass rushers that won't be big enough to play DE in a 3-4. Yea there young and need to go trough a colleges weight room but as Thomas' coach said to Pete, he's probably goo to add 20-30 pounds when all is said and done, leaving him between 260-270. That's a nice size for a 4-3 end but a little to small for a 3-4 end. These guys are explosive and use their athleticism to get to the qb, which is less used in 3-4, and I cant see them transitioning to a 3-4 hybrid de/olb.

Advertisement
This DL has the potential to be a pretty mature group.

Porter, Pierre, Luther, Kamalu, Renfrow, Gilbert, Chick, Shayon, Cain. Grown *** men and not the boys we threw out there last year.

Hamilton has looked good in the practice vids as well

They seem to be grooming him to play that Luther Robinson role - which is probably closer to what Baraka Atkins played here at the end of his career. Versatile DT. We could probably make an entirely new thread on how this depth chart gives some indications of what Dynasty said he wanted to see: elements of a 3-3-5 defense to match the speed of spread formations we often see. Last year, we got smoked by virtually any spread formation.

thats who i called himw hen we recruited him. Kid has that long wiry wingspan...and from the practice vids, the strength went upa ton..he's getting aftyer it now with our big dogs...

He's the dlineman u hate blocking(i played ol)...Dude just locks out and u have problem getting inside his chest....ad to it..he ha sa nose for the ball...in high school he never was sudden or showed great burst..but he was always around the ball and made plays for STA.

Shayon perfect role on this team would be towel wave guy and "emotional" and "inspirational" leader. He would thrive and could be in the hunt for postseason awards playing a role he was born to play. Dont let the guys who seem to think everyone is a stud for UM fool you. Your eyes tell you the truth about what Shayon can do last year. Lets get him where he belongs and that will really show the we are back.

Listen, I like Shayon and everything but seriously...what do they see in this guy to justify him starting over someone that can actually provide a pass rush like Muhammed, or even McCord.

Shayon perfect role on this team would be towel wave guy and "emotional" and "inspirational" leader. He would thrive and could be in the hunt for postseason awards playing a role he was born to play. Dont let the guys who seem to think everyone is a stud for UM fool you. Your eyes tell you the truth about what Shayon can do last year. Lets get him where he belongs and that will really show the we are back.

I'm with you man, the "wonder where that leaves Shayon Green," is part of the tweet not my own statement. Whoever plays the best should ultimately start. With that being said, Green isn't horrible. He is a serviceable DE who led the team in tackles last year. We can definitely use him against the run, because he's a big 4-3 D end. On the other hand, his pass rushing skills are between 0 and none. But I wouldn't mind using him against a team like Florida who predominately runs the ball and has a ****** qb. Actually, I prefer him, at this point in their careers, to someone like AQM who is 230 pounds and likes coming of the edge (when trying to stop the run). 3rd and long he should never be on the field.

Advertisement
This DL has the potential to be a pretty mature group.

Porter, Pierre, Luther, Kamalu, Renfrow, Gilbert, Chick, Shayon, Cain. Grown *** men and not the boys we threw out there last year.

Hamilton has looked good in the practice vids as well

They seem to be grooming him to play that Luther Robinson role - which is probably closer to what Baraka Atkins played here at the end of his career. Versatile DT. We could probably make an entirely new thread on how this depth chart gives some indications of what Dynasty said he wanted to see: elements of a 3-3-5 defense to match the speed of spread formations we often see. Last year, we got smoked by virtually any spread formation.

thats who i called himw hen we recruited him. Kid has that long wiry wingspan...and from the practice vids, the strength went upa ton..he's getting aftyer it now with our big dogs...

He's the dlineman u hate blocking(i played ol)...Dude just locks out and u have problem getting inside his chest....ad to it..he ha sa nose for the ball...in high school he never was sudden or showed great burst..but he was always around the ball and made plays for STA.

Once he's locked out, it's hard as **** to lock your hands on his chest when he's 6'5" and has that long *** wingspan.

Listen, I like Shayon and everything but seriously...what do they see in this guy to justify him starting over someone that can actually provide a pass rush like Muhammed, or even McCord.

It's called practice. Heard of it?

The coaches say they like how he doesnt get moved back 20 yards off the line during run plays, which is something i can definitely understand... thats why you replace him with O. Pierre and you got a bigger DE that also can provide a pass rush. BOOM!

Advertisement
This Shayon Green "debate" is nonsensical.

Shayon Green is a man. He could have given us plenty of quality snaps last year. Problem was the ****** guy was forced to play every snap of the season. He isn't that guy and it sure took away any chance he had of picking his spots and making plays.

Shayon Green playing a billion snaps = not good

Shayon Green rotating and playing what his body allows = productive

Goddammit people its about depth. Green and Chick are going to he a **** of a lot better this year simply for the fact that we have depth. We had enough trouble setting edges last year, could you imagine if McCord had played 100% of our snaps? Or would this year?

Golden starts certain players because they ****** earned it, and Green went through more battles than anyone on the team last year. You would also think by now our fans would know how much we rotate when we have depth and how little our "starters" mean.

Shayon Green is a man. He could have given us plenty of quality snaps last year. Problem was the ****** guy was forced to play every snap of the season. He isn't that guy and it sure took away any chance he had of picking his spots and making plays.

Goddammit people its about depth. Green and Chick are going to he a **** of a lot better this year simply for the fact that we have depth. We had enough trouble setting edges last year, could you imagine if McCord had played 100% of our snaps? Or would this year?

Golden starts certain players because they ****** earned it, and Green went through more battles than anyone on the team last year. You would also think by now our fans would know how much we rotate when we have depth and how little our "starters" mean.

Good post. The more depth the better. With added depth, there will be more rotation. I expect our defense to make a jump

Advertisement

Shayon Green is a man. He could have given us plenty of quality snaps last year. Problem was the ****in guy was forced to play every snap of the season. He isn't that guy and it sure took away any chance he had of picking his spots and making plays.

Golden starts certain players because they ****in earned it, and Green went through more battles than anyone on the team last year. You would also think by now our fans would know how much we rotate when we have depth and how little our "starters" mean.

Don't mind the village idiots. They remind me of the Butch Davis early years when the planes flew over the OB calling for his head when he was assembling the greatest CFB team ever. These clowns have zero vision. You know you're not dealing with a full deck when you actually believe the leading tackler on your defense has no business playing.

Keep in mind most of these guys swore Radio Charmin would lead us to the promise land.

Good post. The more depth the better. With added depth, there will be more rotation. I expect our defense to make a jump

No doubt. Let's also think back to guys like Thomas Finnie who wore black jerseys all the time but when the lights came on, he was very scattered on the field. There's some small things to take from these charts, multiple fronts, Coley at PR, Duke still at KR etc but not a whole lot. Fact is we won't know **** till we play Florida because we sure as **** won't show much against FAU. Let Duke return the first kick for a TD and be done with it.

I don't dislike Shayon and I think he'll have a role, but if Gilbert can play and some of these other transfers (Kamalu, Renfrow) can play then we're going to see Shayon less and less.

Again, Shayon led the defense in tackles last year and has been in the system for three years. You may not think Green deserves PT but the coaches obviously feel different. Gilbert hasn't even had a practice yet and you claim he's going to step on campus and take his job?

Green is poised to have just as good of a season as any player on the defense right now. **** just a few days ago Armbrister was a JAG and if he was in the lineup the defense was in bad shape. Let the coaches coach these players up and the depth chart will work itself out. We fans have no clue whats going on behind the scenes.

That's exactly what Gilbert is going to do. He's going to walk in and take Greens reps because he's a far superior player. This is how you improve your team. You bring in better players.

Advertisement
Back